Politics Brexit news & British Politics

Be prepared to be very disappointed if you expect anything other than huff, puff and shite. The calibre of the modern politician is poor in most instances and the reporting will be equally poor and, I expect, divisive. Still, at least we don't have anyone over here as batshit mental as MTG from over the other side of the pond.

Hopefully.

It's not just the "calibre" of the modern politician, nor is it really a matter of ideology. It's a matter of bureaucracy and the systemic calcification of the Western system of governance. The right-wing narrative of the deep state does have a true core in that the government is constantly being undermined by its underbelly; they're just mistakenly attributing the undermining to nefarious intent and ideological opposition. But you just can't reform an organisation if your reform requires personal sacrifice from the people who'll have to implement said reform.

The cult of the "expert" in which governance is delegated to subject matter "experts" who can recommend all sorts of things that no government would ever be able to recommend themselves. And it is then implemented with "we're following the experts advice, surely you don't doubt the science". It's almost at the point where the "experts" represent a modern form of the clerisy, a religion you dare not critique least you be accused of heresy.,

Coupled with the hollowing out of political parties (most parties have only a fraction of the membership they would have had in the 1960's or earlier) so that the politician's elected have very little in common with their constituents and there is no counterbalance to prevent a small clique of those from the extreme left or right of the political spectrum taking control of even major parties (hence for example the Corbyn takeover of the British Labour party or the level of control exhibited by the evangelicals over the Republicans).

The cult of the "expert" in which governance is delegated to subject matter "experts" who can recommend all sorts of things that no government would ever be able to recommend themselves. And it is then implemented with "we're following the experts advice, surely you don't doubt the science". It's almost at the point where the "experts" represent a modern form of the clerisy, a religion you dare not critique least you be accused of heresy.,

Coupled with the hollowing out of political parties (most parties have only a fraction of the membership they would have had in the 1960's or earlier) so that the politician's elected have very little in common with their constituents and there is no counterbalance to prevent a small clique of those from the extreme left or right of the political spectrum taking control of even major parties (hence for example the Corbyn takeover of the British Labour party or the level of control exhibited by the evangelicals over the Republicans).
The expert bit is very true. What disappoints, is when the expert says each house needs 5 waste bins, no-one gets a fag packet out, and says right 50M homes, so we need 250m bins. all delivered next year. No thought to how many bins are made, or what the bin factory does for the 9 years until the next order for bins. you can replace bins with warships, tanks, road sweepers, etc.

Likewise they dont seem to model the economy, or the effects of policies, let 1M immigrants in per year, even at 4 per house thats 250,000 houses, 50 doctors surgeries, etc. Have they approved any new Towns in the last 20 years? There seems to be some assumption that 'someone' will sort all these 'minor' details out. They are the government FFS.

British prime minister Sunak has announced that if re-elected, he will reintroduce compulsory military service in Britain. (Source)

Interesting stance and something I was against some mere twenty years ago but we live in a whole different world now.

Good on him, I am convinced spending 12 months in a barracks wouldn’t hurt our TikTok youth nowadays but good luck with that in the degenerate West.

The Swiss and Israelis do it. I can think of countries doing far worse these days.

I can't believe that Sunak was stupid enough to walk into a blunder as big as leaving the D-Day remembrance festivities early.

I can't believe that Sunak was stupid enough to walk into a blunder as big as leaving the D-Day remembrance festivities early.
For me, its the lack of political intelligence. Leave, and do a canned TV interview(Could have been done on the Eurostar on the way home) or stay, and be seen on the evening news, stood next to Joe and Macron, and the brave chaps. Who could make such a choice? Clearly, his advisors shared his time, nice compromise.....

Farage just asked to be included in the leaders debate, as he has higher poling than one of the leaders that is in it.....

His ability to present, his timing, etc, is very good, especially compared to the 2 wooden men, we have....

I'll never understand how Farage politically survived getting his family EU passports one day after the referendum.