Mil News AUKUS Military and political News

In light of all developments of recent years, AUKUS feels to me like US ditching NATO in favor of a new alliance that's easier/cheaper to maintain, and is more focused on their main geopolitical enemy in Asia.
Taking into account "F*** the EU" rhetoric, Brexit, energy disagreements, % of GDP contribution disagreements, internal misalignment on Ukraine and Middle Eastern campaigns... All this meme'ing with regard to France seems to miss the bigger picture and the bigger shift. It's not about France getting dumped, it's EU slowly stepping down as the right-arm of USA's power projection. In part also because of USA's own waning ability to project said power and keep such a huge alliance on float and relevant in a changing world.
Imho huge geopolitical changes are to come from this.

In light of all developments of recent years, AUKUS feels to me like US ditching NATO in favor of a new alliance that's easier/cheaper to maintain, and is more focused on their main geopolitical enemy in Asia.
Taking into account "F*** the EU" rhetoric, Brexit, energy disagreements, % of GDP contribution disagreements, internal misalignment on Ukraine and Middle Eastern campaigns... All this meme'ing with regard to France seems to miss the bigger picture and the bigger shift. It's not about France getting dumped, it's EU slowly stepping down as the right-arm of USA's power projection. In part also because of USA's own waning ability to project said power and keep such a huge alliance on float and relevant in a changing world.
Imho huge geopolitical changes are to come from this.
Well, pretty soon Poland will be able to take care of Russia, hence the shift. Obvious really.

If it's true the Australian government deliberately misled the French ambassador when he inquired about whether the submarine deal was still on or not, and if its true the Biden administration refused to brief (as would be usual in diplomatic circles) the French ambassador on the nature of its talks with the Australians as they arrived in Washington to sign their deal, the French have every right to be angry. Especially since Washington had strongarmed Paris into not offering Australia nuclear submarines way back when the deal was prepared. It's only natural they feel betrayed.

I'd not be so eager to read a grand agenda into these events, though. This whole charade could've and should've been handled differently. The French have interests in the pacific region; their territories there are larger than Britain's. Also, France is now the leading player in the EU. And regardless of your personal opinion about the EU, one thing is for certain: Not submarines will curb China's rising power, but a loosening of her hold on Western economies. Britain or Australia are much too small to make a difference there, only the US and the EU can.

In short, it was idiotic to snub the French like this and China is the only beneficiary of such a drastic course of action. The question remains: cui bono?

Well, AUKUS is the brainchild of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson, both of whom have always ruled with their dicks more than their brains – and who can't stand France's Emmanuel Macron to boot. The Australians are only bystanders in this scenario, left to do as they're bid in order to secure American protection.

Against the backdrop of headlines like Boris Johnson's telling the French president to "get a grip" about what many other countries consider legitimate grievances, and in the light of the British right's glee, as though Johnson had just secured his country many billions in Australian money even though Britain's economy will reportedly be left with but the crumbs from Uncle Sam's platter, I'd say the manner in which this whole business was conducted reeks more of personal animosities and petty squabbling for fancy headlines than anything else.
He's still rubbing the blue and the red stripes off the French flag :rolleyes: ? ? ?
You should have an expert look at your anti-French bite reflex. At this stage, you're one pint short of invoking the spirits of Agincourt.
Oh, and I thought the Germans were the ones doing that to poor ol' John Bull, you know, in order to create their "Fourth Reich". My my, how times change. Who knew that scapegoats come and go like fashion trends.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. I'm happy how the announcement was handled, and if the french are upset, tough.
Our $40Billion french sub program kept changing...$50B, $70B then $90B cost. All to be made in Australia, to first one made in France, then maybe more. Less Australian content. Most citizens didn't like the deal, including me. We had had problems with french/euro programs over the last decade and more (Tiger and Taipan helos). With those we should have just stuck to US designs. To be now dumping the french subs and going to a US/UK design, everyone signed relief, 'finally, some common sense.'

Well, I dont mind Deep War happening...

PS Just be careful the the nukes, boys! ? ? ?
it might happen, but I'm pretty sure it wont be what you would expect. For your fappening to happen, it would mean Russia, India and South East Asian armies will just stand there in awe with "IMPUSSIBRUH!!!" expressions in their faces.

Lets get real, stick to nations they actually have a chance of winning against... say the Philippines? With any luck, unlike the Japanese imperial Army, the occupying armies might even get a chance to come out of the key cities of the country at night this time.

Oh and btw why on Earth Russia is supposed to get involved

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again
China partition.jpg

BUY NOW!

Don't you like Russian foreign affairs ;?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In best case scenario the Taiwan Armed Forces will be crashed, while population of Taiwan will stay neutral towards the new rule. But most likely Taiwan Forces will surrender without a fight, while population will welcome reunitification with mainland China. In any case US will just stand by and watch it...
Chincom would take over Taiwan long ago if they could but instead all they capable of is song and dance but not as good as Masha ;)

Peter Jennings, head of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute think tank, said Australia’s decision to acquire nuclear submarines was a response to China’s increasing military might, aggressive bullying of Australia and intimidation of Japan and Taiwan.

“We should call the first submarine in this new category the ‘Xi Jinping,’ because no person is more responsible for Australia going down this track than the current leader of the Chinese Communist Party,”

After what the French did in New Zealand their whinge about backstabbing allies impress with their hypocrisy only.
You're talking about the Rainbow Warrior incident? Which was how many decades ago? And why do you bring it up? Is Greenpeace a part of New Zealand? Did the botched attempt of French agents to sabotage a Greenpeace vessel hurt New Zealand's strategic interests?

And why would an incident involving France and New Zealand in 1985 pertain to France's treatment by Australia, the United States and Great Britain 36 years later? That's a bizarre standard you mean to apply there, if you don't mind me saying.

If what France did in 1985 justifies its treatment now, what's to stop France from finding something to justify its actions in 1985 by way of something that happened to her earlier? In a jiff, we'd be at Waterloo and Agincourt again. I'm sure you'll agree your reasoning leads nowhere.
You are not even able to handle Pushtuns, and now you trying to F*** around with Chinese. I mean its just pathetic. Losers...
. Don't mix losing patience in a peacekeeping mission with protecting vital domestic interests. Do you know how profoundly China meddles in Australia's domestic affairs? What's your suggestion then; should the Australians just bend over and allow Beijing to have its way with them?

Last edited by a moderator: