Other Post Random Sports News

I don’t follow any sport very closely beside the « big » competitions like The Tour which has been won this year by a Colombian (Egan Bernal) for the first time and was slightly more exciting than the previous ones (Chris Froome and Sky domination). Also, an Aussie sprinter won the last stage on the Champs-Élysées, prestigious victory.

Yes, I’ll follow a bit the Rugby World Cup in September. And have generally no interest in football except for the World Cup as well.

France ?? defeats the USA ?? in quarter-finals during the Basketball World Cup.

On the cricket front, it's kind of staggering how England have looked so bad in the Ashes, after having won the World Cup just weeks ago. Admittedly - although I actually know very little about cricket - I know that one days and tests are very different things but it's still amazing how bad they've been. And this is against an Australian team that - no offence intended - I don't think have looked particularly great.

On a semi-related note, am getting really racked off with this booing of Steve Smith. He did something really stupid, he paid the price for it and now he's back - England fans need to get over it, it's effing embarrassing. He's an incredibly talented batsman who throughout history will have a career forever overshadowed by that one moment of idiocy. Some drunk twats in a stand booing him can't make him feel any worse than he probably already does. If anything, it spurs him on.

Well, two days after the event, Rafa Nadal defeats Daniil Medvedev in the US Open final. This guy has a brilliant future.

Curious BBC news headline indeed:

Willie just pissed his career away. Silly bugger. West Coast will miss him, but young Cameron is looking to be the goods and Tim Kelly half a chance to come back home next year. We should be able to cover him.

And this is against an Australian team that - no offence intended - I don't think have looked particularly great.

Just to revisit this, spot on, except for Steve Smith, who was like a big kid playing against little kids. Bradmanesque...

As for Kipchoge, with pace setters, a vehicle with laser pointers marking the perfect pace, no jostling from other runners, perfect conditions, no wind, other runners running in a v shape in front of him to bust up any breeze that dared pop up. Starting to wonder if that 2 hour barrier is able to be beaten in an actual race.

Just to revisit this, spot on, except for Steve Smith, who was like a big kid playing against little kids. Bradmanesque...
/QUOTE]

Yep - he was on a different level.

Kenyan Brigid Kosgei Smashes Women's World Record At Chicago Marathon

Genetics and altitude or eat Kenyan.

Bit of a write up here about Fallon sherrock . I know , it's darts but she's the first female to beat a male player in a competitive match . In fact she beat 2 and happened to do it in the biggest darts tournament the world championships . Sounds like she's had dogs abuse online which is a shame but if she plays her cards right she could have a fantastic career ahead of her .

This thread needed to be resurrected after many sports events had been either canceled or postponed.

Soccer/Football: The Champions League will go on later this summer probably in « Ghost stadiums », and only with one game to qualify.

The Euro championship has been postponed to 2021.

Cycling: The Tour de France is postponed to late august til mid-September. Have no idea yet if any public and fans will be on the roads of France.

Tokyo’s Summer Olympics have also been postponed to summer 2021.

Non exhaustive list. Feel free to add more...

West Indies Cricket team come to England for three test matches next month, with no crowd in attendance.

I think that the autumn internationals are still planned for November - England playing Argentina, New Zealand, Australia and Tonga.

EDIT - added the rugby

Our two main footy codes are back up and running. Some states are allowing some crowds. Port Adelaide and Adelaide had 2000 at the Adelaide Oval last week. There will also be 2000 at both the Gabba and Metricon stadiums in Queensland this week.
Games without crowds have had supporter sponsored cardboard cut outs filtered around the seats and a crowd soundtrack piped over the sound system. The TV guys also did some work, tightening up their normal camera movements, as the seagulls in the stands don't offer the same feedback as a rabid baying home crowd.

I like watching UFC. I'm not an aficionado, I don't claim to know anything about it, it's just something I sometimes enjoy watching.
They've now done a couple of events during the pandemic but without crowds and to me, a viewer - they're really jarring. I don't know what it is - the lack of crowd noise, the fact it's just like a dozen guys in a room talking whilst two of them are fighting or the fact that when a big shot lands, you really hear it - but I don't like it.

And maybe I spoke tooooo soon. One of the Irish boys who plays for Essendon and went home during the initial Covid shutdown, has returned, done his Iso, and back into training, before testing positive the day before his first game. That game has been abandoned.
The comp CEO did say that a positive test would lead to a 30 day cessation of the competition. However that was back in March, there may be a new protocol in place.
At any rate, the rest of the round is going ahead, except the game between Essendon and Melbourne, as the whole Essendon squad would now be considered suspect until they can get them all through another testing regime.

International Test cricket has restarted today with England Vs the West Indies.

No, wait - this is England. Start delayed by rain.