Politics EU Politics and News

And those fat subsidies would've long since been gone in Western Europe if it wasn't for the farmers in the East getting them too, necessitating subsidies to ensure balance of competition. That, and the fact that the left has begun to target the agricultural sector, which elicited a response from the right (which would normally oppose subsidising unprofitable businesses).
I don’t know how you jumped to this conclusion. Before Poland joined the EU in 2004, Polish farmers didn’t get any subsidies and still managed to survive. In 2004, Polish farmers were subsidised by about 25% of what Western farmers were getting at the same time.
I’ve just read an article from 2019 and it says that Greek farmers get €500/ha, Dutch ones get over €400/ha, Belgian, Cypriot and Italian ones get €350/ha, French, Austrian and Hungarian ones get €260/ha, while Polish ones get €220/ha. Think about who would be more competitive if there were no subsidies.

Competing with cheap imported food. The super markets leverage the locals. You guys have realy farked yourselves up.

FARMERS PROTEST

It is important to try to clarify all citizens/consumers.

Europe is being invaded by agricultural products from countries outside the community, with the consent and encouragement of those responsible.

European farmers are required to produce in a responsible and sustainable way, always taking food security and the environment into account.

In parallel, the EU allows the entry of products from other countries, where there are no rules on food safety and respect for the environment.
Where pesticides are used without any type of control and rules.
These products enter European markets at reduced prices and compete directly with our products of known and controlled origin, in the EU.

The last straw in Portugal was the non-payment of the agro-environmental measures that had been contracted with this government.

It is important to clarify that the subsidies that farmers receive help us to produce quality food at affordable prices for consumers, while at the same time respecting the environment as much as possible.

It is also very important to demystify the idea that the media wants to move away from subsidy-dependent farmers and prevent the dismantling of our European primary sector.
Leaving our food and food security in the hands of countries outside the EU is worrying.

We all need each other and the farmers 3 times a day...!

Re: this farmer and their tractors all over western and Central Europe protests on interstates and blockades or going to the Brussels parliament.

@muck certainly makes a good point about the divisive, disdain from greens urban upitty dickfaces that couldn’t differentiate a potato from a pear, a rabbit from a hare towards rural people.

It’s not limited to just Europe. Turdeau for instance is elected and re-elected by the liberal major Canadian cities. Not by the rest of the wasteland of Alberta or Manitoba made of mainly good people.

The European Union create new regulations, behind our back, farmers or agriculture oriented or not and we have to accept it and swallow the pill.

Shouldn’t cry wolf when « populists » gets elected like in Italy or the Netherlands via right wing coalition. The only two countries that are seemingly never seeing this happen being France National Rally and Germanys AfD because OMG Nazis.

The only apparent and credible way to protest against some of what the EU does wrong gets you the brown shirts accusation after all.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

60 EU industrial leaders presented their "Industry Deal" proposal to complement the Green Deal today in Antwerpens BASF plant.

Among other points it includes proposals for clarifying and streamlining the EUs rules on investment and operation regarding heavy industries.

Ah and because some presume Germany is so deindustrialised it can't built any weapons anymore.

The Dillinger Hütte (lit. hut a traditional name for a steel producing entity) can produce armour steel which is not the same as ordinary steel.

A few hundred tanks is the production of a few days only.

Right now armour steel comes from Swedish Swebor

Both belong to the same conglomerate.

FARMERS PROTEST

It is important to try to clarify all citizens/consumers.

Europe is being invaded by agricultural products from countries outside the community, with the consent and encouragement of those responsible.

European farmers are required to produce in a responsible and sustainable way, always taking food security and the environment into account.

In parallel, the EU allows the entry of products from other countries, where there are no rules on food safety and respect for the environment.
Where pesticides are used without any type of control and rules.
These products enter European markets at reduced prices and compete directly with our products of known and controlled origin, in the EU.

The last straw in Portugal was the non-payment of the agro-environmental measures that had been contracted with this government.

It is important to clarify that the subsidies that farmers receive help us to produce quality food at affordable prices for consumers, while at the same time respecting the environment as much as possible.

It is also very important to demystify the idea that the media wants to move away from subsidy-dependent farmers and prevent the dismantling of our European primary sector.
Leaving our food and food security in the hands of countries outside the EU is worrying.

We all need each other and the farmers 3 times a day...!

Couldn't quote that.

Yes that's one of the inconsistencies some importers lobbied the EU to let them import tomatoes from China for example. With China being one of the few countries not using tomatoes in their traditional cuisine and not producing any until a few decades ago.

Italian producers order tomatoes in China and export to Canada faking Italian content.

Over here they paint an Italian flag on the package to disguise uncontrolled produce from China.

But now many know it and it now says made with Italian/ other European tomatoes.

I also do not want to have forbidden pesticides in my food. A super joke are organic products including items from China.

How is that all monitored? All the work of importers making a boon.

Hope this ends soon by applying strict rules regarding food imports and enforcing them.

Uncontrolled entities profit from this exemption for them in comparison to those producing in the EU.

I order sometimes at Knuspr an online supermarket. It's a bit expensive but for some items they have a cheaper alternative for example milk from Slovakia. I can trust it to my kids and even my Bavarian wife approved of it. (Bavaria land of the milk but we still drink fresh Bavarian milk from a farmer nearby)

The EU when it does a free trade deal it includes its own regulation standards which we have signed.

Actually thanks to animal welfare activist on many counts we have better welfare levels. Though on a Southland winters day I'd prefer to be indoors and well fed rather than up to my tits in mud competing for a kale stalk.

Pretty much though most of our intensive farming for crops and dairy is not sustainable under current perameters such as fertilizers going into the ground water same as the EU problem. The greenies want to reduce numbers on farms to a level that would make it uneconomic so they think its a great idea.

We also have to stop using pesticides that the EU has banned. No small thing.

There is also a thing about deforestation so that all pines planted for carbon credits cannot revert back to animal farming. Which will be pretty funny when after the switch is completed as windfarming and solar are more efficient and carbons credits are no longer valuable just what the foreign owners of these forests will do..sue the govt ?

Thinking about the animal welfare. Cows used to get covers for winter when family farms were a thing. I never see them anymore. On the new big herd cold country conversions from sheep they do not get covers where they would need them more than on the warmer better quality for cows family farms. Actually the greenies don't say much about it either because they don't know farming only complain on what they see.

Scumbag:

He’s subsidised by the EU, but he wants Putin to do something with Ukraine, the EU and the Polish government.
Such people should be canistershot.

He’s one of the many useful dumbkopf of Putin in Europe more than anything.

I’m aware of the feud between the Poles and the Ukrainians over the grains exports, but to hell with idiots like that.

Milking the system...My son was out on a job on a local farm this morning fixing a stupid stuff up . He may as well been in India/ Philippines migrants employed by landcorp which is a govt department running the businessman owned farms subsidized with taxes. Landcorp executive university graduates claim its lack of profits are due to its social responsibilities.... Bigger than bank manager salaries

Poor Sweden

The Mountain just gave birth to a mouse as the adage goes.