Politics The COVID-19 pandemic news and discussion.

Various videos are emerging of people collapsing in the street in Wuhan. Chinese authorities seem to have quarantined to whole city of 20 million with no one getting in or out. I'd imagine things are worse than we are being told. One story has this virus originating from eating bats.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I follow ADVChina and Serpenza for about 2 years now, generaly they do not talk nonsense.

Here in Romania a theatrical troupe from Timisoara have been put in quarantine after returning from China.

Nothing to report here for now...

Update on my I end. One of the Captains on my company informed our flight ops that he ordered his flight deck and crew to mask up on the whole flight. Our VP operations replied with "lets not wait for upper management, good call and we already ordered more mask for all the crew."

Love that at this time while other airliners are still thinking about it, our flight ops listened to the concerns and gave the go ahead. Philippine government is evaluating if they should be shutting down all flight to China for the meantime.
Masks wont do any good if they are the kind usually worn (i.e surgeon basic mask)
Its just a feel good move. Buy FFP2 masks if you find them.

How many nations have banned all flights to and from China .. from entering there airspace , landing etc .

Lack of inaction was responsible for some type of flu to spread to easily a few years ago

Update : toll now of 25 death, more than 890 registered cases officialy.
The speed in which the number of cases is growing from one day to other is the worrying part

Masks wont do any good if they are the kind usually worn (i.e surgeon basic mask)
Its just a feel good move. Buy FFP2 masks if you find them.
Would this work?
respirator.jpg

Two suspected coronavirus cases in northern Finland

Two tourists visiting Finland from Wuhan in China are suspected of being infected with the coronavirus. On Thursday night the pair went to a health centre in Ivalo, northern Finland, to seek treatment for flu-like symptoms.

The members of a Chinese family had been travelling in Lapland for several days. According to Broas, they travelled from Wuhan to Finland via Norway.

In Wuhan:

Hong Kong (CNN)Authorities in China have imposed indefinite travel restrictions on tens of millions of people across ten cities in an unprecedented effort to contain the spread of a deadly new coronavirus, as hospitals at the epicenter of the outbreak struggle to handle a surge in new patients.
The virus, which was first discovered in the city of Wuhan in December, has spread to every province in China, except the remote autonomous regions of Qinghai, Inner Mongolia and Tibet, with the number of infections rising to 846 worldwide.

Third generation spread
On Thursday, David Heymann, the chairman of a WHO committee gathering data on the outbreak, said the virus spreads more easily from person to person than previously thought. "We are now seeing second and third generation spread," Heymann said.
Coronaviruses are transmitted by animals and people, and the Wuhan strain has been linked to a market in the city that was selling seafood and live animals, including wild species.
Third generation means that someone who became infected after handling animals at the market spreads the virus to someone else, who then spreads it to a third person. The announcement marks a development in the progress of the spread of the virus.
It initially appeared to spread only by very close contact that would typically occur within a family -- such as hugging, kissing, or sharing eating utensils -- but now evidence is accruing that shows more distant contact could spread the virus, such as if a sick person were to sneeze or cough near someone else's face.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm just going to leave it here...

I follow ADVChina and Serpenza for about 2 years now, generaly they do not talk nonsense.

I do also! A few months ago when flying from Minneapolis to Cedar Rapids,in a thunderstorm, the guy sitting next to me was a fan of ADV. We had plenty to talk about!

Enywho..here are some photos from the Chinese media of preventive measures being taken in Wuhan;

A worker sterilizes the square in front of Hankou Railway Station in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province, on Jan 23, 2020. [Photo by Zhou Guoqiang/chinadaily.com.cn]

From 10 am Thursday all public transportation, including city buses, subways, ferries and long-distance coaches have been suspended, and outbound channels at airports and railway stations have also been closed until further notice.

Two armed policemen stand at the gate of Hankou Railway Station in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province, on Jan 23, 2020. [Photo by Zhou Guoqiang/chinadaily.com.cn]

A medical worker tests temperatures of people in vehicles at Fuhe Toll Gate on a highway linking to Wuhan Tianhe International Airport. [Photo by Yuan Zheng/chinadaily.com.cn]

Traffic police guide vehicles at the closed Fuhe Toll Gate. [Photo by Yuan Zheng/chinadaily.com.cn]

Medical workers in hazmat suits at Wuhan Union Hospital. [Photo by Tao Jidong/chinadaily.com.cn]

Remember the Chinese media is 100% government controlled.

Medical workers at Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province. [Photo by Tao Jidong/chinadaily.com.cn]

A medical worker in hazmat suit at Wuhan Union Hospital. [Photo by Tao Jidong/chinadaily.com.cn]

A medical worker in hazmat suit speaks with suspected patients at Wuhan Union Hospital. [Photo by Tao Jidong/chinadaily.com.cn]

Medical workers at Tongji University help patients in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province. [Photo by Tao Jidong/chinadaily.com.cn]

A medical worker at Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province. [Photo by Tao Jidong/chinadaily.com.cn]

Since the start of the coronavirus pneumonia outbreak, medical workers in hospitals in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province, have been fighting against the disease at the front line. Wuhan Union Hospital has arranged more than 200 medical staff members to work at the front line, and a group of 15 experts are battling to curb the spread of the virus.

Yeah it has an OV/AG P100. Spo basically oil proof, organic and acid gas protection along with 99.97% particulate rating... so I guess a little bit overboard, but jimmy aint gonna die soon.

Central China's Hubei reports 105 new confirmed virus cases

WUHAN, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- Central China's Hubei province reported 105 new confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and seven new deaths on Thursday, the provincial health authorities announced Friday.

As of Thursday midnight, 549 cumulative confirmed cases of the new coronavirus pneumonia had been reported in the province, with 24 deaths, according to the announcement.

To date, 494 patients of the new coronavirus pneumonia remained hospitalized in the province, including 23 in critical condition and 106 in severe situation. Meanwhile, 2,776 who had close contacts with the patients were under medical observation.

Four cities in the province, which are Xiaogan, Xiantao, Yichang and Shiyan, reported their first findings of confirmed cases of the new coronavirus pneumonia on Thursday.

China on Thursday morning locked down Wuhan, the provincial capital of Hubei, in an unprecedented effort to curb the spread of the epidemics, after it resulted in 25 deaths.

It seems that the CMC (Central Military Commitee, an offset of the PCC) has recalled all its medical personal

Yeah it has an OV/AG P100. Spo basically oil proof, organic and acid gas protection along with 99.97% particulate rating... so I guess a little bit overboard, but jimmy aint gonna die soon.
Depends if the check out assistant is already infected........