Question? why israel cancelled galil?

ao_sepia

Mi General
MI.Net Member
used better than m-16 in desert,but israel cancelled,used in 80-90's,shortest in service.

used better than m-16 in desert,but israel cancelled,used in 80-90's,shortest in service.

Heavy. Massive numbers of surplus M16/M4 were given to Israel by the US for free immediately after the Cold War. Also, M4 is far more customizable and cheaper to upgrade / tune platform than the original Galil ever was. ACE is another story.

Well, M16/CAR15 started to arrive to Israel thanks to Operation Nickel Grass and the US Military Aid post Yom Kippur War, just when Galil was starting its deployment. Soon it was noticed that US rifle offered noticeable advantages over Galil as being lighter, easier to customize and cheaper to adquire. During Lebanon War M16 rifles were used by a sizeable number of units and CAR15 were widely used by Special Forces and by the end of the 80,s and beginning of 90´s the Galil have lost its ground against M16/CAR15 and IDF decided to make the black rifle its standard rifle

Heavy. Massive numbers of surplus M16/M4 were given to Israel by the US for free immediately after the Cold War. Also, M4 is far more customizable and cheaper to upgrade / tune platform than the original Galil ever was. ACE is another story.
ACE is a superb upgrade. I have one in 5.56. I've had a lot of Galils over the years including a select fire. Incredible rifles, but they are heavy.

From memory besides the aspects already mentioned here the Galil was also very popular on the US commercial market. So much so that it made even more sense to surplus them and use ARs instead.

A little bit impossible for IDF to get surplus M4 inmediately after the end of CW as M4 didn´t appeared on US service until 1999 :D What IDF got were CAR15 carbines and they appeared on Israeli service a lot of years before the end of CW, as well as M16 rifles.

From memory besides the aspects already mentioned here the Galil was also very popular on the US commercial market. So much so that it made even more sense to surplus them and use ARs instead.

Well Galils didn´t dissapeared from IDF arsenals once M16/CAR15 was officially designated as standard rifle. Reserve units and Armored Corps were using them during the 90´s, being phased out at the late 90´s, so I doubt that a lot of them arrived to the US market

From what I read, though Im not sure its true. What the Israelis got was the CAR-15 created by the Philippines Elisco Tool M653. This is mainly due to the 14.5 inch barrels only came about in the early 90s under heavy American use. The M653 was used in field by the Philippine Armed forces as early as the 70's and was in house manufactured, when the Philippines bought Armalite. The 14.5 bridged the gap between the M16 commandos 11.5 inch barrel deficiencies with the 20 inch ones.

From what I read, though Im not sure its true. What the Israelis got was the CAR-15 created by the Philippines Elisco Tool M653. This is mainly due to the 14.5 inch barrels only came about in the early 90s under heavy American use. The M653 was used in field by the Philippine Armed forces as early as the 70's and was in house manufactured, when the Philippines bought Armalite. The 14.5 bridged the gap between the M16 commandos 11.5 inch barrel deficiencies with the 20 inch ones.
Not sure they bought Phillipines made CAR15. IDF got a several models of CAR15 manufactured by Colt and using FMS funds they were basically free. But as IDF was hungry of carbines, to the point of shortening M16 rifles to the CAR15 measures, buying carbines from Phillipines is something I can't discard :)

Im wary of it to, but then when I found out that all our Shermans were practically sold to Israel in the start, I wouldn't be surprised. The main thing going for that story is the Philippines has had the 14.5" on the field waaay before the M4s etc came out.

Im wary of it to, but then when I found out that all our Shermans were practically sold to Israel in the start, I wouldn't be surprised. The main thing going for that story is the Philippines has had the 14.5" on the field waaay before the M4s etc came out.
is it modify barrel ? or it fully built m16 ? cause Philippine still import gun from the US and the west + it kinda weird that you guy aint making your own rifle , seeing you were one of the oldest allied of the American in asia ( Philippine seem like a left behind child in asia of America )

Galil ARM = 4.35kg. VS L-98A1 (unloaded with SUSAT) = 4.18 kg,but i choose Galil only!
The L98A1 was a single shot version of the L85/SA80 designed for UK Cadet Forces (Military affiliated organization for children/teenagers in the UK) not the service rifle (L85/SA80) used by UK Forces.

In regards to the dropping of the Galil for the M-16 (and versions of) as the standard rifle, it makes perfect sense. Why dedicate funding, skilled labor and production facilities for a domestically produced rifle when you can get one that does the job a lot cheaper off shore. It frees up funding and domestic capability for the key things you can't source or sustain from externally. It also gave the country time to develop or research future small arms needs without having to meet outputs to equip the Forces for war.

Last edited: