Politics The COVID-19 pandemic news and discussion.

Well, my job was cut today, by 50%. I'll only be working nightshifts from now on.
Fortunately, the government will cover the rest, or up to 90%. I'll probably lose about $300 in income.
Fu*k COVID-19 and the Chinese government.

Sorry, Man! By the way: Nice to see you found MI.Net! Long see, no time!

The reporting here is just sh*t. As always. One might think during a National health crisis they would actually put out, at the very least, accurate information. Instead, we get a steady diet of inflammatory clickbait, half truths, and the usual "Orange Man Bad" blame game.

Dr. Fauci: The CDC Testing Delay For Wuhan Virus Is 'Certainly Not the President’s Fault'

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/julio...s-certainly-not-the-presidents-fault-n2565112

Nice that someone stepped up to be a control for this experiment. Not sure how this will work out .....

Swedes Try Laissez-Faire Model in Controversial Virus Response

Scandinavia’s biggest economy is one of the last places where kids still go to school, cafes, bars and restaurants remain open, and gatherings of up to 500 people are still allowed.

The Swedish approach raises questions about how socially distant we need to be to stay safe, given the devastating impact of shutting down an entire economy.

“I’m not sure we will get an entirely clear picture of which measures were most effective,” Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s top epidemiologist, said at a press conference in Stockholm on Monday. He underscored Sweden’s adherence to what he said was the most important principle: Protecting the elderly through isolation.

For some, Sweden’s approach is a clear weakness. Nordea has gone as far as suggesting that a “laissez-faire” model might be a reason to avoid Swedish markets. To others, less restrictive measures seem more pragmatic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...xcP65BODA6lbPtQMipXTD_1iS7tiWkxLChZCuI8qIvMsM

Die Mutti’s test was negative.

The world has been saved.

#ChinaVirus

"Activate the Reserve Corps of Doctors and Nurses..." Say what? I'm a Doctor. I've never heard of a "Reserve Corps" nor have any of my colleagues. Joe looks bad. Frail, confused, lost. Video of Joe Biden's "Corona virus briefing". from his hidden bunker in Delaware.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Activate the Reserve Corps of Doctors and Nurses..." Say what? I'm a Doctor. I've never heard of a "Reserve Corps" nor have any of my colleagues. Joe looks bad. Frail, confused, lost. Video of Joe Biden's "Corona virus briefing". from his hidden bunker in Delaware.

Don't be so cruel, this is a natural cry for help, poor mr Bidden needs a doctor and a nurse but corps of them would be better.

@Musashi

How is the Polish general doing, the one who was diagnosed with COVID-19 couple or so weeks ago?

Well home for 4 weeks from today, will do a bit of quoting etc but work haven't decided whether they will top up the weekly goverment payout to bring it up to full salary pay. Have said im happy to use my annual leave and sick pay to do that but it seems like they have put it in the too hard basket. If they dont it means i'll be on half salary with full bills to pay, hope the government has got something planned for that situation.

Last edited:
Well the pandemic hasn't even really started in California yet, but the residents of the state (and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same across the country) are already looking forward to being hosed in the near future when it comes to private (but still mandatory) health insurance purchases:

Covered California projects premiums to rise 40% or more because of COVID-19: “Premiums in the individual and employer markets for 2021 — which are in the process of being set right now — could be 40 percent or more solely because of these unexpected COVID-19 costs in the absence of federal action, as insurers would seek to recoup unplanned for losses from 2020 and budget for pandemic-related costs in 2021,” officials said in a news release.

Wow.. I was expecting the numbers to go up as the testing volume goes up. That's good Monday morning stuff to be hopeful about!
Sorted by new cases
View attachment 213026

Sorted by new death
View attachment 213027

Sorted by total recovered
View attachment 213028

Sorted by active cases
View attachment 213029
I have to admit I've grown wary about the John Hopkins University's app as a source. How does their vetting process look like for non-official sources?
Data sources: WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC, DXY, 1point3acres, Worldometers.info, BNO, state and national government health departments, and local media reports.
Doesn't this mean every false story or incorrect figure could morph into a "fact" now as long as it just originated in a so-called quality medium? A medium run by the very same journalists who but a month ago told us we're racists if we don't go out to eat Asian anymore, and who now seem firmly locked in a morbid contest to outdo one another with grisly headlines?

I mean, over here the journalists regularly don't even get the distinction between "serious" and "critical" cases right.

The first non-government source cited gives these sources for its repository:
Where does your data come from? – We have a mix of data crawlers, API calls, and user submissions.
User submissions? Really?

I'd encourage anyone to stick to the reports released by the relevant authorities for their respective territory, not the least on the grounds that their work forms the basis for their government's decision making.

As for Germany, the Federal Government's institute for disease prevention and control, the Robert-Koch-Institut, reports 27.436 confirmed infections and 114 deaths as of 24 March 2020 0:00, and the following infection curve:

image20kk0k.jpg

On a lighter note…
What a wasted chance to use the Benny Hill theme!

Apparently, loss of smell/taste is the first symptom.

DOCTORS THINK THIS MAY BE THE FIRST SYMPTOM OF THE CORONAVIRUS
"ALMOST EVERYBODY WHO IS HOSPITALIZED HAS THIS SAME STORY."
Utah Jazz player Rudy Gobert, who’s tested positive for the coronavirus, tweeted this weekend that he can’t smell anything.
Gobert isn’t alone. A growing number of doctors suspect that for many patients, the first symptom of the bug — before a telltale cough or fever — could be losing your sense of taste, smell, or both.
https://futurism.com/neoscope/doctors-first-symptom-sense-of-smell

I have to admit I've grown wary about the John Hopkins University's app as a source. How does their vetting process look like for non-official sources?

What is discrepancy between Worldometers.info and relevant local authorities?

SAN DIEGO (March 21, 2020) The U.S. Navy continues preparations to deploy USNS Mercy in support of the nation’s COVID-19 response efforts which will serve as a referral hospital for non-COVID-19 patients. This will allow shore-based hospitals to use their ICU and ventilators for COVID-19 patients ashore. @CDCGov

SAN DIEGO (March 21, 2020) The U.S. Navy continues preparations to deploy USNS Mercy in support of the nation’s COVID-19 response efforts which will serve as a referral hospital for non-COVID-19 patients. This will allow shore-based hospitals to use their ICU and ventilators for COVID-19 patients ashore. @CDCGov

I remember a few years ago suggesting using the now defunct HMS ocean as a hospital/ disaster relief ship and using the overseas aid budget to run it . Instead sold to Brazil for a paltry 84 million . Credit to the US for having such assets unlike the quick cash obsessed UK government .