Politics The COVID-19 pandemic news and discussion.

Arrrr shvt. Hope your relatives will get through. Did your brother have symptoms?
You are not supposed to be contagious more than 24 rarely 48h before declaring the first symptoms.
As I suggested a few days earlier, you should x-ray your lungs. I know you said your test was negative, but it's still a good idea, as your lungs could get permanently damaged in the future.

As I suggested a few days earlier, you should x-ray your lungs. I know you said your test was negative, but it's still a good idea, as your lungs could get permanently damaged in the future.
It is a good advice...however, the hospitals have other cats to flail so to speak right now.
Better wait the end of the crisis. If i have a viral induced lung fibrosis there is nothing that can be done.

I spent yesterday morning at the range with a mate. Who that afternoon texted me to say that his wife had been briefly in contact with a friend who had briefly been in contact with a friend who had briefly been in contact with someone who had tested positive. (The power of 4 generations of contact since there are only about 65 confirmed cases here).

I don't think I need to panic just yet.

I spent yesterday morning at the range with a mate. Who that afternoon texted me to say that his wife had been briefly in contact with a friend who had briefly been in contact with a friend who had briefly been in contact with someone who had tested positive. (The power of 4 generations of contact since there are only about 65 confirmed cases here).

That's what Merkel said- only with a german accent....

You are a Kiwi!
A disciplined subject of Her Majesty the Queen!
Her subjects don't panic! Get a hold of yourself!

Mounting evidenceAnother study looked at 565 Japanese citizens who were evacuated from Wuhan in early February and were repeatedly tested and monitored for the virus and symptoms. In a paper2 published on 13 March in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, a team in Japan reports that 13 evacuees were infected, of whom 4, or 31%, never developed symptoms.

This more or less reiterates China's figures based on 100,s thousands.

Its practically impossible to stop it. More so given the lack of testing ability. Eventually they need a triage plan. Old infirm stay home, old age homes staff tested. The rest reduce contact but carry out semi normal life since it will get them in the end and build up herd resistance and we obviously cannot wait a year for vaccine. Use the remedies like Chloroquine.

Hubei is ok now but only takes a few cases and its off again. Permanent lock down isn't feasible.

Olympics is a crazy idea. They'll have to quarantine and test each athlete and how can they train.

As it should have been expected, staff working at the polling stations got tested positive for COVID-19 last Thursday.

One of them, Paul Hatte, who supervised one of the XVIIth arrondissement polling stations, said he had encountered 606 people that day.
Today he wonders if it was really worth it to maintain the elections, how many got infected that day. He also wishes they (him, his staff and possibly the people voting) had been better informed.

We will, obviously, remember the words of Edouard Phillipe: "vote!".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's so awesome. We should do this over here. I'm certainly not a big government type of guy, but since the restrictions have been put in place it's painfully obvious any attempt to undermine them is just going to result in new restrictions and a drawn-out recession in the long run.
Europe is holding its breath!
I know, right?!
Arrrr shvt. Hope your relatives will get through. Did your brother have symptoms?
You are not supposed to be contagious more than 24 rarely 48h before declaring the first symptoms.
Thanks, mate. No, he doesn't have symptoms.
Too late, I just bought another toilet paper roll.
And I got gifted two today. By my neighbour. Whom I thoroughly dislike! I'm gonna have to work on my prejudices.

Unless he's got the virus and spat on the damn things to make sure I catch it, too.

Earlier this weekend the French BPC Tonnerre got deployed for the evacuation of 12 people suffering from COVID-19 from Ajaccio to the mainland.

Something being repeated a lot in the various articles from the press is "that's a great ship! It has a hospital on board, two operating rooms and 69 beds!"

A very flashy Uber.

So, I dont follow this thread closely but what's your guys take on the odd "50-70% of the population of NY, Madrid and Germany will get the virus" as we read on various MSM? This is either terribly worrying or grossly exaggerated as it would mean, according to the Covid-19 mortality rate that millions would die.

I take this disease seriously but I'm having a hard time believing these figures...

So, I dont follow this thread closely but what's your guys take on the odd "50-70% of the population of NY, Madrid and Germany will get the virus" as we read on various MSM? This is either terribly worrying or grossly exaggerated as it would mean, according to the Covid-19 mortality rate that millions would die.

I take this disease seriously but I'm having a hard time believing these figures...
Sorry jake, but this highly contagious virus is in my opinion circulating widely in all countries. For many many people it’s a bad cold or flu. The various shutdowns are/will work, but it’s a 3 or 4 week cycle before we see a downturn.

I expect more restrictions here in U.K. very soon.
Treatments are improving, and vaccines in progress. U.K. plan is to lock up vulnerable people, it’s as valid as anyone else’s plan.

it’s mainly taking those with a serious long term illness, but it appears it may take a small % of all people infected.

@Jake84
I think mortality rate will decrease as vulnerable (old and weak) die out and cure become available. Quarantine measures bye time and take some pressure of health care system but also weaken economy so it has to be some trade off and balancing.

@Jake84I think mortality rate will decrease as vulnerable (old and weak) die out and cure become available.
You do realise that in industrialised nations roughly 60% of the population matches at least one risk-group category?

You do realise that in industrialised nations roughly 60% of the population matches at least one risk-group category?

No I don't and only expressed my uneducated opinion. I am iterested to hear more educated predictions.

Last edited:
The first of nine planes from Russia carrying doctors and medical supplies to help Italy has landed in Pratica di Mare.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.