Unknown General

Zofo

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
I read a long time ago in a book of quotes that Abraham Lincoln was getting a tad wazzed off with the lack of activity of an army. He sent a sarcastic cable or message to the general asking that if he had finished with the army, could he (Lincoln) borrow it for a while!

To whom was this message sent and for what reason was the general so tardy?

Ta!

Zofo,

This was General George McClellan. After being appointed commander of the Army of the Potomac in November, 1861, McClellan consistently refused to pursue an agressive campaign of warfare. He always over-estimated the enemy strength, under-estimated his own army's capabilities, and made excuse after excuse for not engaging or pursuing the enemy.

Frustrated by McClellan's unwillingness to attack, Abraham Lincoln recalled him to to Washington with the words: "My dear McClellan: If you don't want to use the Army I should like to borrow it for a while." On 7th November, 1862, Lincoln removed McClellan from all commands and replaced him with General Ambrose Burnside.

Thanks for that - a history lesson as well - time to read up on the US Civil War now.
This is what makes this site so good, lots of info on stuff one didn't know about and getting pretty much instant answers! Again, thanks.