archaeology Unknown footage from the bottom of the Baltic Sea

DTA

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Original post by Russian State Archive of photo and movie documents (original and more detailed russian article here http://www.rgakfd.ru/doklady-soobsh...elikoy-otechestvennoy-voyny-v-baltiyskom-more )

Help us solve the riddle from the bottom of the Baltic Sea.

In early summer 2019, Roman Yuryevich Prokhorov, head of the Underwater Archaeology and Restoration Department of the Center for Underwater Research of the Russian Geographical Society , called to our archive. He said that he conducted a diving survey of the destroyed hull of the German minelayer "Roland", lying at the bottom of the Baltic Sea. Rolls of film were found there .

Roland
roland002.jpg

Roland today

roland005.jpg

1638393360115925042.jpg

German ship was lost on the night of April 21-22, 1944 in the Narva Bay. The film was found among the wreckage in rusted iron boxes. Roman Yurievich suggested to the archive to see if anything was preserved on these films.

The mere fact that the films had been lying in the water for more than 70 years caused great doubts that we would be able to see anything on them. And add to the doubts the factor of the explosion of the ship.

1638394652143143415.png

The restoration department of the RGAKFD managed to obtain several images that allow us to make guesses.

roland021.png

roland023.png

roland024.png

roland025.png

roland026.png

roland027.jpg

roland028.jpg

roland029.jpg

roland028.jpg

roland030.jpg

roland031.png

roland032.png

roland033.png

Museum experts have suggested that American actors Hugh Herbert and Donald Woods may have been filmed in the frame. But they did not find similar frames in publicly available online films with these actors. They also expressed doubt that these could be German actors.

But to find an American film on a German warship during the war in 1944 is unlikely, although it is not excluded. It can also be assumed that this is an Italian-made film, a light film of French cinema during the Nazi occupation, or a sample of German totalitarian cinema.

Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• roland029.jpg
    roland029.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 78
  • roland022.png
    roland022.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
reddit community r/movies found movie . it was german movie Sieben Jahre Glück (Seven Years Good Luck ) (1942)
Thanks to the hint from /u/Musicmans I checked the movie "Seven Years Good Luck" and I think it's safe to say that this is the movie /u/Don_Rumata_Estorsky and the museum searched for. I attached two screens from the movie in comparison to the recovered original pictures from the sunken ship as example.

It's a german comedy movie from 1942. A sequel to "Sieben Jahre Pech".

I was able to contact a guy who has a whole collection of movies from this era. He sent me "Der Strom" and "Sieben Jahre Glück" and luckily the latter was the movie we searched for.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

t4kbXc6.png

The photo of Roland here is before 1935.

Roland originally was an excursion steamer built at Geestemunde for the Heligoland trade, although she also served other German North Sea resorts. Originally with 2 funnels, she was rebuilt in 1935 with the aft funnel removed. Taken up by the German Navy in August 1939 and converted to a minelayer. On 21st April 1944 she struck a German laid mine in the Gulf Of Finland and sank with the loss of nearly all her 240 crew.
Note: according other sources the mine was Soviet.

Here is photo of Roland during the war.
Roland mine laier.jpg