Question? Unknown "specialized" vehicle.

Ivan le Fou

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
Any idea what this could be?

g4dx.jpg

Chassis is T72.
DSHK on top.
Two little "turrets" facing forward.

One of the early BMPT prototypes?
Though all of its armament facing forward rather suggests some sort of "breaching" role rather than an "heavy convoy and close tank support vehicle" one.
An early BMO-T then?

I honestly don't know anything about armoured vehicles, is all the stuff at the front combat engineering equipment?

Possibly related to this - They Russia needed a replacement for the BM-2 that was an engineer (mine clearing vehicle) built on converted SU-55 hulls (SU-55 was the self propelled anti tank gun built after the war along the lines of the SU-85 and SU-100 built on the T-34 hull). So the T-55 chassied BM-2 was unable to keep up with the newer T-64, T-72 and T-80 tanks.
Russ Combat Engineers.jpg

This is a photo of the first BMR-3 production vehicle in combat in Abkhazia in the 90s.

I honestly don't know anything about armoured vehicles, is all the stuff at the front combat engineering equipment?

The dozer blades yes, obviously.

As for the rest? I have no idea.

The two "turret-looking-thingies" could indeed be just that, but their extreme coaxial position is peculiar.

The rows of "tubes" located above? They appear to only be able to be elevated or depressed, and all facing straight forward.
I doubt these could be smoke dispensers, since they are usually placed to cover an arc.
Explosive grenade launchers? If it is, indeed, a mine-clearing vehicle... I suppose that could work to some extent? But they do not cover the width of the vehicle.

The dozer blades yes, obviously.

As for the rest? I have no idea.

The two "turret-looking-thingies" could indeed be just that, but their extreme coaxial position is peculiar.

The rows of "tubes" located above? They appear to only be able to be elevated or depressed, and all facing straight forward.
I doubt these could be smoke dispensers, since they are usually placed to cover an arc.
Explosive grenade launchers? If it is, indeed, a mine-clearing vehicle... I suppose that could work to some extent? But they do not cover the width of the vehicle.
Might be no relevance but I believe at one point experiments were carried out using banks of strobe lights as a means to spoil the aim of anti-tank weaponry the idea being to blind or disrupt the eyesight of operators looking through optical sighting equipment.

Might be no relevance but I believe at one point experiments were carried out using banks of strobe lights as a means to spoil the aim of anti-tank weaponry the idea being to blind or disrupt the eyesight of operators looking through optical sighting equipment.

Which would make that vehicle some kind of test-bed for various technologies then.

Which would make that vehicle some kind of test-bed for various technologies then.
Chatting with my brother Anthony a mega tank modeling buff, he told me there were numerous prototype/hybrid vehicles in Russia that never went too far from paper or mock-ups or singular example before getting scrapped/improved for another type.