Quote/Poem Random Military Quotes

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
“The barbarous custom of having men beaten who are suspected of having important secrets to reveal must be abolished. It has always been recognized that this way of interrogating men, by putting them to torture, produces nothing worthwhile.”
– Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon to Berthier 11 Nov 1798, Corres., V, no. 3606 p. 128 quoted in – Napoleon on the Art of War

"If."
– King Cleomenes II of Sparta, responding to Philip II of Macedon's threat: "If I invade [Sparta], I shall wipe you out!"
acc. to Plutarch, De Garrulitate

"Well, Your Honour, you had best get on with the hangings, otherwise you might hang before we do."
– Lieutenant General Erich Fellgiebel, member of the German Army plot to oust Hitler, upon hearing his death sentence
acc. to Vollmer, Keil, 'Stauffenbergs Gefährten'

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't do your planning properly."
– Colonel David Haskell Hackworth, decorated U.S. Army infantry veteran
acc. to Harari, 'Special Operations in the Age of Chivalry'

"Fine, you take over all of this crap!"
– King Frederick Augustus III of Saxony, Field Marshal of Germany, responding to an envoy of the 1918 popular revolt against his rule
acc. to Groß, 'Geschichte Sachsens'

"Paperwork will ruin any military force."
– Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell „Chesty“ Puller, decorated United States Marine Corps leader in three wars
acc. to The Archive, 'Chesty Puller: The Life and Quotes of a Beloved Marine Legend'

Last edited:
“If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other.”
― Ulysses S. Grant

"The Jade Emperor's [God] last name is also Zhang, so why does he bring trouble to Zhang Zongchang? If it doesn't rain in three days, I'll first climb up the heavenly Dragon Palace, then I'll blast your f***ing ass open."
– General Zhang "The Three-legged General" Zongchang, Chinese warlord
acc. to Time Magazine, 'History's Basest Warlord'

"Kings use soldiers like oranges, first they squeeze the juice and then throw away the peel."
– Captain General Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, Duke of Alba
acc. to de Rustant, 'History of don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo'

"By killing himself, Hitler saved thousands of lives."
– Colonel Otto Skorzeny, Nazi-German commando
acc. to Walters, 'Scoop: An Historical Adventure'