Movie / TV Dune 2020

I've started re-reading the original Dune book as of two weeks ago so that I can prepare to judge this new film version.

It's been about 15 years since I last read any of the series.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hmmmmm… That teaser is filled with dialog that is not in the book…. ?

Final Dune trailer:

I didn't see the point posting all the gazilian trailers, teasers, TV spots, teasers of trailers, trailers of TV-spots, featurettes etc., cause honestly, it's all a little too much. But this last one is the most epic of all. Two weeks to the D-day where I live.

I've seen it last month. Don't worry everybody, I won't spoil anything. But this I can say. The movie is very close to the book (good thing), and it is fantastically adapted both in terms of pacing and style.

Great Sci-Fi for everyone and mandatory viewing for fans of the series.

I saw it on the first opening day in Russia (Sep 16th) in English. Was great experience, but the movie is not without issues.
Biggest issue is that it is just a first part of the story, and the ending scene of the movie is weird.

The movie is very close to the book (good thing), and it is fantastically adapted both in terms of pacing and style.
Very close to the book, yes. But pacing is definitely not great.
I can point on a few moments, but it will be spoilers most likely.

Great Sci-Fi for everyone and mandatory viewing for fans of the series.
Visually it is stunning, and some scenes left me with goosebumps. I would say everyone should see it, and preferably in the best quality cinema in your area.

Got to watch it.

Overall: great experience, very nice movie.

Closer to the book, apparently, than its 84 counterpart, but pacing wise, and though it is only part 1 (of 2 or 3?), it didn't do as well as the Lynch one.
Especially in term of the general exposition, which was mainly provided by the introduction and the "inner thoughts" in the 84 version. We are here left with a number of questions regarding important topics: who, where, when, why, how.
Questions that were all answered by the Emperor's daughter monologue (not that it was that important that she was the emperor's daughter, considering how little importance she had in the story) followed by the Emperor's audience with the Guild. These two scenes managed to set the whole story.

We are deprived of that in Villeneuve's movie.

We vaguely know who the protagonists are, though we don't know what their motivations are, nor what their relations are to one another.
Atreides and Arkhonens hate each others "for some reason", but they just appear to be regular enemies. In Flynch's movie, the Baron had clear and outspoken animosity toward the Duke.
In Villeneuve's movie the Emperor is but a distant figure. Powerful and feared, apparently, but there is nothing to justify any of these traits.
The Spice being a "big deal" isn't really tackled either. We are told it is essential to space-travel, while it is only one of its attribute (and perhaps not the most crucial one).
The water on Arrakhis is a subject that is not tackled either. Ok, it is a desert, it is scorching hot, so water is an issue, we know that from our own world. But in Dune, water goes farther than that, to the point the Fremen "recycle" their dead in order to preserve as much moisture as possible. Sure, they spit (aka share the gift of their body moisture) as a sign of respect (and apparently for cooking?), but that's something we also do in our world (to seal a contract for instance). So... in Villeneuve's movie... I don't know it could have been better tackled imho. Oh and, for some reason nobody is sweating?

Though these few things can be seen as negative by their absence, they can also be seen as a positive thing in the sense that their absence allow the audience not to be overloaded with information. And thus allow it to enjoy the visuals.

The visuals are really something.

The designs are as well defined as they were in the 84 version (though less goofie), allowing each faction to clearly stand out.
The desert stillsuits were probably better in the previous movie though, but that's just me opinion on that.
Same goes with the Sardaukars, but only to some extent. The "cheap" industrial look given by the black metallurgic suits had something more ominous and threatening than the modern grey armors. But the depiction of their world was pretty cool, throat singing mental conditioning ftw!
The ships and shields got a well deserved (and needed!) update. Bye bye flying milk boxes and minecraft armors.

The cast did a very good job as well.
Bautista makes an amazing Rabban and Skargard a great Baron. I am glad, to some extent, they got rid of the kind of psychotic, sadistic punk portrayal of the Arkhonen. But as the same time it removes part of what makes them so brutal and monstrous.
Lady Jessica isn't the useless damsel in distress anymore and Duncan got treated properly.
Paul on the other hand seems a bit bland and lacking in term of "volume". I don't know how to phrase it, but something is missing.
I had concerns, or questions rather, when it was announced Dr. Lyet would go through a gender swap, but in the end it turns out to work pretty well and even better than in the previous movie. Though, again, her characters send us back to the exposition issue regarding, notably, the Emperor. That entity is mentioned a lot in her scenes, but at this point it is nothing but a name (or title rather) thrown around.

I may have one very important regret though:

We didn't get to see the pug.

Where is the pug? What happened to it? Where is it?? Gurney was supposed to be leading the charge against the Arkhonen with the pug in his arms!

WHERE IS THE HOUSE ATREIDES' DUCAL PUG?!

If something happened to it, I swear to God I'm going to commit multiple war crimes.

Last edited:
Watched last night, overwall i liked it, although i have a soft spot for the 84 version.

One thing that annoyed me though, how come in a universe so filled with technology, they fight hand-to-hand with....swords?

Last edited:
I rarely go to the cinema but that’s something nicely introduced by IDF Tanker and this friend of mine went to see it yesterday. He offered a brief and spoiler free review and now I could go out of my way and see by myself.

I appear to have missed the chance to go see it in iMax. Don't know if that would have been better or not... Have to plan soon.

Wife wants to see the new James Bond, but is also a Dune fan....

(CROSS POST from the "latest movie you've watched" thread.... apologies if you read both threads)

OK. The wife and I watched Dune last night. I was hemming and hawing about paying US$24.99 for it and ambivalent about possible wokism.

Well, I had a few Manhattans and then suddenly got interested.

Stunning! It was simply awesome. There were a few wanderings from exact dialogs and a bit here and there changes in some sequences. But it was extremely enjoyable. Still helps to have read the first book!

Small complaint, although very irritating. The placing of Jason Momoa/Duncan Idaho in the Ornithopter w/ Paul and Jessica. Not as bad as in the Lord of the Rings, where they used the star power of Liv Tyler to create stupid made-up scenes with nonsense dialogue.

Ok, I've calmed down. The Ornithopters in the new Dune are brilliant.

Edit: Random points
- Sian Phillips mo betta as Reverend Mother in Lynch version
- Lynch did really well with the depiction of the worm
- Zendaya vs Sean Young as Chani? Need to wait for Part 2 (promising), but Sean Young did well with limited exposure.

Last edited:

Back