EgXDAP0WkAAJBzn.jpeg

EgXDAP1XYAAKbu4.jpeg
EgXDAP5WsAERw9E.jpeg
EgXDAPzWsAA8gjJ.jpeg
EgYkSTbUwAE29C6.jpeg
EgZBvlTUcAAr7jT.jpeg
EgZBy9hVAAALAnM.jpeg
EgX4FGbVAAQR4ca.png

@IDF_TANKER , I'm getting the impression you're really gung-ho for this movie, have you read the entire book series? Personally I have only read the first book and that was years after first watching the Lynch Movie.

@IDF_TANKER , I'm getting the impression you're really gung-ho for this movie, have you read the entire book series? Personally I have only read the first book and that was years after first watching the Lynch Movie.

Yes, the whole series and the first book at least three times. For years I was reluctant to read the rest of the series, because I've read a negative review once of the second book and I thought it to be one of those cases, when authors try squeeze every penny from the first book success, which usually ends up in mediocre fluff. Boy was I wrong. As far as I'm concerned every book in the series is a masterpiece on its own right. At some point I plan to reread the whole series again. This is one of those books.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The official trailer is today at 12:00PM EST.

“I must not hype. Hype is the movie-killer. Hype is the little-death that brings total disappointment. I will face my hype. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the hype has gone there will be no expectations. Only I will remain."
A Youtube comment.

I'm going to have a hard time with Javier Bardem as Stilgar, I think. Will just have to wait and see.

Here's my feeling so far. I trust the new Dune movie is going to be anything from a decent to extremely good. However I must say, when it comes to set and costume design, the Lynch version seems to capture the spirit of the Dune universe a little better. There is this touch of grotesque and madness, which is missing for me in the new Dune, and was very much present in the Lynch one - from what we have see so far anyway. It's still early to pass any kind of categorical judgement, so I guess we'll see.

Here's my feeling so far. I trust the new Dune movie is going to be anything from a decent to extremely good. However I must say, when it comes to set and costume design, the Lynch version seems to capture the spirit of the Dune universe a little better. There is this touch of grotesque and madness, which is missing for me in the new Dune, and was very much present in the Lynch one - from what we have see so far anyway. It's still early to pass any kind of categorical judgement, so I guess we'll see.

I am currentyl doing my best not to watch the trailers, but I agree on Lynch capturing the spirit of the Dune universe visually. I've long maintained that if they should ever try to make a movie about the Warhammer 40K universe, then Lynch could pull it off in terms of style, atmosphere and visuals.

Interesting. I never associated anything grotesque with Dune. I read the first three or four books, but this thread has me wanting to crack them open again. Finally a movie to look forward to.

Yes, Porkopolis. I agree that the word "grotesque" never wandered into my mind when I read the original trilogy the first time or the second time. I might have to do it again soon. Lynch, as I've probably mentioned before, has a habit of taking things to an extreme and I'm sure was using it as a shortcut to assist the non-Dune-faithful movie watchers in figuring out who was good and who was bad.

============
And I just heard on the radio last night that Dune "2020" theatrical release is being delayed due to you-know-what.

I wonder if the main theme from 1984 will be used in some way.

Back