Politics The Biden thread

Ugh! I only watched snippets. I agree, Cron. However, my belief is that Biden is infinitely worse a choice for the next four years. After that, let get some younger leaders in place.

B
For a puppet he will do.

And even if he dies during the term:
1000035849.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are a few YT vids relating to how difficult it would be to nominate someone other than Biden. I don't completely understand all that, and would they be stuck nominating Harris if Biden actually does blow a gasket? Add to that the DNC's disregard for rules, and it becomes a real mess.
Do you mean "politically difficult"? I mean, politically, the matter seems rather clear. From the Democrats' perspective, if there's any possibility to proceed with Biden, proceed they will. They'll think that because he's beat Trump once, he can beat him again. A safer bet than rolling out someone who's never even been in the same room with him. There'll be a penalty in terms of popularity for going with Biden, but dropping him will cause some fallout as well. The Dems have always brushed off comments that Biden is too old, so they'll also look stupid if they agree with those.

Harris is violently unpopular, if there's any sense left in their brains they won't see her as an alternative. So Newsom it is? Of course, there's also a possibility that the sectarianism within the party will lead to a sense of fatalism: If Trump wins now, he's unlikely to run again in 2028. Even if he does, it's a new game, new luck. The leftists could see the coming four years as a chance to oust the old guard (whose fumbling they'll hold responsible for paving the way for Trump) and use the divisions created by Trump to galvanise support on their side of the aisle.

Last edited:
Harris is from California and so is Newsom. Which makes them both as popular as a boil on the bum outside of California.

If both were running against each other for the presidency, I'm sure Newsom wins hands-down. Non-Democrats hate Harris. With Newsom, it's "only" hatred for what he stands for. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the big donors react, and if they demand someone else at the helm.

Maybe they won't. I read a couple of headlines today which first struck me as copium, but on a second glance I actually think they may have been onto something: That Biden's poor perfomance in the debate doesn't matter much. How many of the people who were going to vote for Biden before the duel will cease their supporting him now, with the spectre of another Trump presidency still looming at the horizon?

By the way, I'm still stunned the Democrats agreed to take the risk of that debate in the first place. It seems to me they could've shunned Trump without too much of a fallout. With his nonsense about the "stolen election", Trump placed himself outside a fair democratic contest, so why honour him with a debate. What's more, he refused to debate the other GOP candidates in the primaries. So, fairness be damned?

The stolen election … I'm still amazed by how many people believe that story. It's absurd to think that someone who enjoys antagonising people as much as Trump couldn't ever bring up the public against himself enough to be voted out. At the end of the day, it's a popularity contest.

I guess the big question that the Democrats need to consider is how many voters that debate perfomance might just turn off from votng at all?

Harris is from California and so is Newsom. Which makes them both as popular as a boil on the bum outside of California.
Still both are Democrats and far more importantly for the undecided voters: they’re not Trump.

NBC:
President Joe Biden is expected to discuss the future of his re-election campaign with family at Camp David on Sunday (...).“The decision-makers are two people — it’s the president and his wife,” one of the sources familiar with the discussions said, adding: “Anyone who doesn’t understand how deeply personal and familial this decision will be isn’t knowledgeable about the situation.”"

By the way, I'm still stunned the Democrats agreed to take the risk of that debate in the first place. It seems to me they could've shunned Trump without too much of a fallout. With his nonsense about the "stolen election", Trump placed himself outside a fair democratic contest, so why honour him with a debate. What's more, he refused to debate the other GOP candidates in the primaries. So, fairness be damned?
I'm torn between two possibilities.

-Either they believed their own fairytales about his health/they thought they could pump him so full of drugs that no one would notice;
-Or they thought that Biden faltering and Trump preceding to pounce on the weakness of a frail beloved old man would look bad on Trump, endear Biden to undecided voters and make Democrats rally around our Uncle Joe. US political propaganda is after all about -this could be you/your family-

That failed because Trump showed untypical restraint.

“Anyone who doesn’t understand how deeply personal and familial this decision will be isn’t knowledgeable about the situation.”

Sure, maybe.

But The People voted for Joe Biden to be POTUS. They didn't vote for his family.
The First Lady has no power, whatsoever.
POTUS' family has no power, whatsoever.

They are mere "officials" for being related to Joe.

I see clips like this that are interesting but lack credibility. It's possible, though. She's a vain woman who fancies herself powerful.

Screenshot (1).png

Sorry but as a Californian, I just can't see Newsom as a viable national candidate. Sure, he appeals to a lot of the urban progressives for obvious reasons. But he is already a national target and there's a lot to find wrong about California (and SF in particular) under his reign. It's funny, I never really meet any Newsom fans in California. Sure, I know people that have voted for him but nobody that really loves him. He doesn't have the same clout as someone like Obama despite being in politics for decades now. He's a handsome fella (and we all know that can matter) but he's nowhere near as charismatic, slick or well-spoken as he thinks he is. The Dems will try to sell him as a second Obama, but he won't come close. I'm no Obama fan, but he comes across as authentic and personable. Newsom doesn't have those qualities. With his personal life, he won't hold a high moral ground over Trump and campaign commercials of homelessness and criminal antics in California will be brutal. And as kiwi said, nobody would run 2 Californians on the same ticket, especially as polarizing as they are.

The other decision dilemma they face is that they also know what's waiting for them on the outside..........Hunter, the 1st punk is going to be going to jail and Joe and his malfeasance will be next!!! If he was lucid enough to be the President of the U.S.A. then he must be alright to prosecute, he wasn't a forgetful old man when he committed all his corruption.....so too bad!! They don't care if they do that S**t to the other side the Republicans so why hold back, they were doing it and turning to Trump and blaming him for what they were doing all along......What's the old saying lads, "what goes around comes around" Poor America, what a mess right now...........