Politics Iran Thread

Mike1976

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
Several developments in/connected with Iran in recent days.

First Azerbaijan appointed it's first ever ambassador to Israel.

A few days later the Azerbaijani embassy in Teheran was attacked with one security guard being killed and several others wounded. Iran arrested an individual and claims he was acting out of personal motives and not political ones. Azerbaijan has called the attack an "act of terrorism".

The drone strike in Iran was carried out by Israel according to US officials. The US knew about the operation beforehand but did nothing to stop it.

I've seen some allegations that the strike was a retaliation for the attack on the Azerbaijani embassy as Azerbaijan and Israel have a military cooperation. Sounds more far fetched than a simple Israeli-US attack on Iran's (nuclear) weapons program imo.

In the last few days Iran has been moving more weapons shipments through Iraq into Syria, which (presumably) Israel has been interdicting.

Last edited:
Iran & SA Resume Diplomatic Relations

Troublesome for U.S. influence in the area and I am curious to see how this plays into Saudi-Israeli ties.

I am a bit skeptical however over the long term as it seems a bit more tactical than strategic in nature.
I am by no means an expert on these questions, but here is my take.

The Abraham accords were motivational for the Emirates in obtaining US military protection.

But they were unpopular with the local populations.

Iran is a dictatorship threatening Israel on a regular basis so the position of the West and especially the USA has always been difficult: alienate them fully and they will collapse with sanctions and isolation...or at take the risk of opening up better relations through the lifting of sanctions.

I said it the threads back then, I think the USA made an enormous mistake: the position of Israel is by no means better regarding the threat of Iran, we have remade enemies out of them and if they can alone improve their local relations in the region, the US loses leverage of providing military protection to the Arab nations.

I am by no means an expert on these questions, but here is my take.

The Abraham accords were motivational for the Emirates in obtaining US military protection.

But they were unpopular with the local populations.

Iran is a dictatorship threatening Israel on a regular basis so the position of the West and especially the USA has always been difficult: alienate them fully and they will collapse with sanctions and isolation...or at take the risk of opening up better relations through the lifting of sanctions.

I said it the threads back then, I think the USA made an enormous mistake: the position of Israel is by no means better regarding the threat of Iran, we have remade enemies out of them and if they can alone improve their local relations in the region, the US loses leverage of providing military protection to the Arab natio
I think your take is very credible.

Israel is probably the biggest loser in this followed by the U.S. Again, it remains to be seen if this is a Chinese pipe dream. There have been a lot of politicians/nations that have taken a crack at the Middle East. Good luck to them, they'll need it. All three parties to this have a need for some sort of short term window dressing.

A true rapprochement between these two thuggish states would be very bad news for Israel but I just don't see it as being likely because they both see themselves as the predominant Gulf Power.

As far as the U.S. and Iran I'm not sure there will be a chance to improve relations in any meaningful way as long as the current regime controls the works in conjunction with the Revolutionary Guards. If I had to choose the lesser of two evils I would rather work with Iran as they are more efficient as a military power than SA... though that's damning with faint praise.

Does anyone know if the super secret Iranian underground V2, sorry Scud, base, points in the right direction to target Afghanistan? Asking for a friend.....

Terrorists killing terrorists.

Wünderbar! 🥳

US moves naval forces to Gulf of Oman to counter Iranian provocations:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.