Hunting The Hunting thread

so i finally got around to get my hunting license here in bavaria, which undoubtably was a pretty difficult task, i never before had to learn, and work so hard for anything, but its rewarding as hell.

img-20221114-wa0005dqdy2.webp
img-20221231-wa0044mofa0.webp
dsc_05620fi73.webp
dsc_0688afcde.webp

Went with my mates to a farm on Saturday with the goal of going after bunnies and possums. The farm had been hit hard by the recent floods (fields up to 1.5 meters deep in water) so there were no bunnies to be found. The grass had turned into a wilderness almost impossible to walk through, it took over 3 hours to cover 3km. My legs felt like I'd spent all that time on the Stair Master 2000.

Having not learned any lessons from that we went back in after dark and wandered around for another couple of km in the wilderness looking for possums - and found a grand total of three possums.

To top the evening, we got back to our vehicles at midnight and one of us had managed to lock his keys in his car. Que a bunch of monkeys trying to open the door with coat-hangers for an hour. Got home at about 02:15 and was a total cripple all day Sunday.

Related but my dad has decided to retire from hunting, he knows better his whole “animals count”, ten years ago I think it was already around 1,200 pigeons, numerous hares, wild boars, deers, pheasant over near 60 years of hunting he’s about done now.

Whatever we think of hunting (greenies), he always ate them or shared the meat with his peers.

No worse than a slaughterhouse but those uppity urban people know better…

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Americans make some great hunting videos, particularly with archery. It's harder and makes for a better story.

Hit my dad's place again on Friday night. Casualties were 28 Possums, 2 bunnies, a rat and 3/4 of a bottle of Bushmills whiskey. A good night, but the hangover the next morning was less fun.

Another trip to my dad's farm over the weekend.

Got 20 or so possums which is good - the reduction in numbers makes me think we are making some difference.

&authkey=%21AC9irR30FV7QeH4&width=1512&height=2016.webp

Also got a bunny and two Pukeko (Or Australian Morehens).

&authkey=%21AInBSbN5AoeCqqk&width=1512&height=2016.webp

Another trip to my dad's farm over the weekend.

Got 20 or so possums which is good - the reduction in numbers makes me think we are making some difference.
[...]
Why do you hunt possums?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a hunter and I hunt for the meat. BUT I also hunt foxes and raccoons. Foxes because of zoonoses like mange and the negative influence on ground nesting birds. Raccoons because they are a neozoa in Germany and are (have become) a problem for native small mammals.

I just wonder what the reason is here?

They’re not native animals in NZ. They do a lot of damage to trees and wildlife and there are pretty much no predators that control their numbers. And they can carry TB and pass that onto cattle. So farmers are always happy to see a pile of dead possums.

Calling all Kiwis;
Hunters are directly affected by decisions regarding the DOC estate, but currently they don't have a seat at the table. The New Zealand Conservation Authority has 13 members, with seats set aside for nominees from iwi, the Royal Society, Forest and Bird, and Federated Mountain Clubs. None for hunters.

Cameron Luxton’s member’s bill would require the Minister of Conservation to appoint two further members to the board – one appointed on recommendation of the New Zealand Deerstalker’s Association, and one appointed after consultation with both Fish and Game and the Game Animal Council.

Hunters have to dig into their own back pockets and get lawyered up.

Environment woke state politics claiming federal supremacy in law want game consuming bears and wolves in the states. Killing big numbers of juvinile game. Hunting for some reason wasn't protected by the constitutuion and the only technical way to provide protection for hunters to stop bears and wolves is to prove that hunting is a commercial activity.
Professional hunters for example charge fees/ only if they delegate hunting to the professionals well guess what they wont be equally sharing the hunting permits to recreational hunters.
As they say in the video getting a permit as it is now is half the hunt. It can cost thousands some don't have.

It's bit like that here where safari farms and absentee exotic forest owners block access to public land and now in places there are too many pigs, goats and deer so thay are at pest number levels. Eating the public bush out and the farms grass and lambs for the pigs.

P.S. These guys have some great bow hunting shows.

I printed an improved Sika stag call. Was not easy to get the tone right, I made several dozens of duck and predator calls before I got it like a Sika. However it works when wet and doesn't fall apart like the press together bodies of the other calls.

9LenSRC.webp

2tLzJEf.webp