This why some of the west abandoned conscription, because you cannot teach and embed a wide range of skills with weapons, tactics, etc, in 12 months, of which some will be spent cooking, cleaning, and learning to march.

They got rid of it because soviet union fell and they were not preparing for WWIII anymore. Or they have a large enough population base to not need conscription.

If shtf these countries will reinstitute conscription. And then they will train troops for three months, lack all sorts of basic equipment and armament and have no trained officers for said troops. Like happened for some countries in WWII

Much worse than having all that set up on peacetime and having a trained reserve.

When you have universal male conscription you get all, best and the worst of population. Best you can put into key positions, worst can be used for secondary roles. This means you have civilian doctors as doctors, mechanics as mechanics, national athletes in recon and suitable people in leadership roles.

In professional armies/volunteer armies/ (or 10% conscription with all sorts of ways out)you get people who bother to apply, forces are on average older and the best people go to universities. Then you end up using most of your budget on wages and pensions instead of gathering a proper stockpile. And then there is the problem that even a professional cant be in multiple positions at the same time.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What awaits Ukraine in the second half of 2024?
Forecast test.
Like any forecast, it is subject to the risk of error. At the beginning, I would like to remind you the entry why aid from the USA will not be a significant change in the current situation and how to assess the concept of victory in the political layer:

A few theses:
1. The situation of the Ukrainian Armed Forces is currently the worst since the summer of 2022. It results not so much from the lack of ammunition, but from problems with command, training and personnel shortages of the Armed Forces. In my opinion, the AU is currently taking quite hasty and desperate measures with the OT brigades. Ukraine is losing 300 to 500 soldiers a day, which translates into a loss of approximately 180,000 soldiers a year. The capacity of training centers at the AU is known - about 5-6 brigades per year (about 33,000 soldiers). The rest are NATO partners, but even with their help there is no way to achieve the number of trained (and not just conscripted) soldiers that will make up for the loss of personnel. Ukraine has the human resources to mobilize soldiers, but it lacks training capacity and most brigades have command problems. Their replenishment system is shaky and creaky and is on the verge of collapse, but not because of the lack of people, but because of "humanization" and training inefficiency.
As a result of many mistakes from 2023, the defense of the Armed Forces currently depends on a few cadre (or quasi-elite) brigades that defend very well and suffer losses. But about 60% of the "select" brigades are not in Donbas but cover other directions. The rest are poorly trained, usually poorly commanded IOT brigades or "hundredth" brigades converted from IOT brigades to mech/mechanical combat. What's worse - the few "cadre" brigades in the combat area are exploited mercilessly - in fact, until they need to be completely recreated, successive battalions from the brigades are rotated. As a result, the 3rd Assault Squadron, the 47th Infantry Division and others act as "fire brigades" and even if they are rotated, they are immediately thrown back into combat from the recreation areas. Why? Because the defense based on "hundredth" brigades is weak and falling apart, and there are not enough field fortifications. Of course, the AU has reserves, but they are involved in the north and south. Not in Donbas for now. This is not an oversight by the UA but a conscious choice.
The Armed Forces have a frighteningly short time in terms of good units in Donbas. There are other and much more serious problems of SZU, but as a person supporting Ukrainians, I have no intention of writing about them publicly.

2. The Russians know very well about the SZU's problems and, at the expense of not taking into account their own losses, they are trying to "grind" the potential of the SZU's cadre brigades. This is a deliberate action resulting from the fact that in 2024 and 2025 the Russians will not run out of restored equipment from stockpiles, and approximately 28-35 thousand soldiers after 90 days of training (up to 120 days) are available to the Armed Forces. Not annually, monthly. The Russians are currently training at a tolerable level as many "meat inserts" per month as Ukraine is able to sensibly train conscripts A YEAR. Of course, Russians still have a speed run from calling to Gruz200 in 30 days, but these are exceptions. Most of those mobilized have high morale, field executions are completely extralegal (in the Russian legal system), execution discipline is maintained, training is adequate to the tactics of use. In general, RUS suffer personal losses that are two or three times greater than the Ukrainians overall. But if we look at the efficiency of the systems of supplementing both sides with a trained infantry soldier, unfortunately the Russians - while suffering much greater losses, in fact suffer smaller losses in terms of their ability to reproduce them. This is a terrible situation and forced the UA to send OT brigades into combat or convert them into mechs and... also send them into combat. Weak and often poorly commanded brigades, whose quality does not differ from the Russian ones, but there are fewer of them. Of course, the Russians suffer horrendous losses, but this is a deliberate action calculated to ensure that before the fat one loses weight, the skinny one will die of hunger. And unfortunately it works for them. In addition, what I wrote a month ago about the AU losing "assets" and the increasing advantage of the Russians in the field of WRE, drones, artillery and aviation remains in full force. Here, the erosion of Ukraine's capabilities is progressing, but in the field of air defense and artillery, deliveries from the West only minimally help. In terms of aviation, WRE and drones - unfortunately not.
Generally speaking, the Russians are currently preparing the strategic situation for the next phase of the operation - by the end of the occupation of at least two oblasts (Donetsk, Zaporizhia) and, optimally for the RUS, also Kharkov and Sumy.

3. I believe it is highly probable that Ukraine's priority is to defend Kharkov, Izjum, and Zaporozhye - at the expense of the remnants of Donbas.
Due to the described situation and the emerging disproportions, I believe that UA St.Gen must choose what it will defend and what is critical from the point of view of the post-war situation in Ukraine at the expense of areas that will be given up due to the inability to defend them due to the above-mentioned problems. Personally, I believe - based on many factors - that Kharkovsky will be maintained until the end, and the line to which the Ukrainians will retreat will run along: Kupiańska - Kramatorsk - Pokrovsk - Wielka Novosilka. It is impossible to say when this will happen, but if current trends continue, I believe that it will take place within the next 12 months - i.e. by May/June 2025. However, territorial losses may be much greater - according to the Russians' wishes - if the AU defense collapses. .

4. The current goals of the Russians are known and declared more or less openly in the statements of diplomats, military officials and the Kremlin:
blocking Ukraine's integration with the EU and NATO, finalization of this country after the war, occupation of all or almost all of the oblasts:
- Donetsk,
- Zaporozhye (whether with Zaporozhye itself is a matter of debate)
- Kharkiv
- perhaps Sumski, if the military situation allows
In my opinion, the occupation of the entire Donetsk and Zaporozhye regions, but without Zaporozhye, is within the capabilities of the Russian Armed Forces within the next two years, while maintaining current trends. The question of whether the AU will maintain Kharkiv and Sumy will depend on how strong and fast NATO's assistance will be - especially training, command, WRE and air defense and artillery supplies.

5. Regardless of Fri. 4 The Russians are conducting two operations related to Ukraine and the West more broadly. The first is the destruction of the AU energy sector - in my opinion, it is highly probable that this year the Russians will achieve this goal and only nuclear power plants will remain. Terrorist shelling of Ukrainian cities will also continue. The goal is to further deepen Ukraine's economic and demographic crisis because it directly affects the capabilities of the Emergency Service. I also believe that the Russians will intensify sabotage and hybrid activities on NATO's eastern flank. The target will be the critical infrastructure of these countries - especially Poland, and in the maximum variant - terror against politicians, opinion leaders, and generally acts of terror against the sense of security of the citizens of these countries.
This will be aimed, firstly, at forcing these issues (including the protection of critical infrastructure) to be addressed with the use of the military (which will translate into a decrease in the possibility of providing training assistance to Ukraine) and, secondly, at preparing the ground for peace negotiations regarding Ukraine.

6. The conflict in Ukraine will end with peace negotiations. I do not see the feasibility of any scenario in which Ukraine will regain Crimea or Donbas. The most favorable and optimistic scenarios involve maintaining roughly the current situation. Realistic scenarios assume the loss of all of Donbas and most of Zaporozhye, but at the same time maintaining Ukraine's political independence after the war - although its accession to NATO (but not to the EU) is blocked and a probable return to the Istanbul concept of ending the conflict. Even such a scenario means a political victory for Ukraine - because the original goal of the Russians was to conquer the entire country, secede and incorporate the entire Trans-Dnieper region together with Odessa, and install a puppet government in Kiev. However, regardless of the political effect of the negotiations, Ukraine will end the war as an economically and demographically ruined country requiring a Marshall Plan 2.0.
A long story short, RuZZia suffers twice as big losses as Ukraine, but trains 12 times more soldiers every year. Ukraine trains 35,000 a year, while RuZZia trains this number every month.
Ukraine losses 300-500 killed and wounded every day that is about 150,000 every year. This number is replaced just by 35,000 evey year if we exclude the number of Ukrainian soldiers who are trained in Western countries.

Last edited:

and here I thought Micron was full of shite....

does that imply that these are actually Ukrainian troops, not Russian?

The invader troops seem to be correctly clothed in Putlerarmy gear. Complete with St George's ribbon.

Ruzzians in Razzia must prepare to participate times of just shutting up and paying lip services are over.

A long story short, RuZZia suffers twice as big losses as Ukraine, but trains 12 times more soldiers every year. Ukraine trains 35,000 a year, while RuZZia trains this number every month.
Ukraine losses 300-500 killed and wounded every day that is about 150,000 every year. This number is replaced just by 35,000 evey year if we exclude the number of Ukrainian soldiers who are trained in Western countries.

I can't believe these numbers.

That means they would have trained 840000 troops the last 2 years. Or since when are these massive troop numbers available every month?

So they just put up a second army and nobody noticed?

The 300000 mobiks already led to chaos now take away double that number.

Seems hard to believe but okay maybe Putler is really all in already.

and here I thought Micron was full of shite....

For the most part he is, at least in his own country, but I won’t digress about his domestic politics here.

Very few countries are keen to follow, and his grandstanding tone in this video about the importance for Ukraine to win the war, or not to be defeated, something we’d all agree here is good to hear.

However we’re having a European Election next June and for reasons that goes beyond just the Ukraine / Russia conflict, the far right parties are according to polls going to make huge gains and seats in Brussels and Strasbourg. Most of these parties (French National Rally, German AfD) don’t want Ukraine into NATO and the EU while timidly adding they’re supposedly condemning the war of aggression by Russia.

Where do we go from there? Interesting times. Western/European Ground troops around Donbas lines, and in the second part of that video maybe US ones?

Can't find any news about that. Wanted to travel there once though - beautiful island.

If its so Putler friendly then may be not.

STEP population probably can't await to die for Putler in Ukraine.

Can't find any news about that. Wanted to travel there once though - beautiful island.

If its so Putler friendly then may be not.

STEP population probably can't await to die for Putler in Ukraine.
All former portuguese colonies sided with the USSR, Cuba, GDR, so this is hardly a surprise for me
What saddens me is that we keep giving them loads of money that we much need.

Ukraine is getting armed drones from the US

Then no more monies for those countries. I already wondered why the West is so inconsequent in this regard.

If you have energy to participate in Putlers war or pretend it doesn't affect you at all you certainly need no western help.

Don't travel to RuZzia

Subs in English available

This officer is even hated by his mother for deserting Putlers war of aggression.

English subs available

Useful tool for Ukraine but they develop too long for this war.

Makes you wonder how they got the awacs, doesn’t it?

I think we need to rethink territorial defense, USA and U.K. being at the back, and safe, needs reconsidering.

Ukraine doesnt need to train more troops, the external partners do it, for free, and certainly the UK, we equip the soldier with kit, body armour etc. I think UK has trained 45000 so far.

Ukraine is getting armed drones from the US

Got to love it when the guy or AI they use to invent the imagery don't understand firearm design and function.