To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lanchester Square Law is an interesting theorem. We could be witnessing it.

Very simply. Take a look at how the tracks work, on any tracked vehicle. Lots of moving parts, the main wheels, the support wheels, the links which slide on them. That is, the links are constantly moving in relation to the hull. If the tangled wire fixes them to the hull or wheels somehow, the tank stops.
Yup, its a lesson crews very quickly learn to avoid wire be it barbed wire, comms wire or any other type left lying about. Once its wrapped up in the tracks you aren't going anywhere anytime soon. When we train against our armoured guys, use of 'Bastard wire' is always a consideration in the defensive plan. It won't always cause an AFV to stop but it will give the crew commander a dilemma and a decision to make.

I was able to geolocate the target at 50°17'28.6''N, 36°56'30.3''E, it's an engineering factory. So, the attacking aircraft was within sight of the town. Why is that remarkable? Well, Volchansk is only a few kilometres off the Russian border, and less than 40 kilometres from the centre of Belgorod (where parts of the Russian 108th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment should be stationed). It begs the question why the Ukrainians were able to conduct these attacks unimpeded within sight of a highly endangered Russian metropolis.

The constant failures of Russia's air defences have puzzled me for a long time. They can't be explained merely by attrition. Maybe the rumours are true that Putin withdrew most air defence units to Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

I was able to geolocate the target at 50°17'28.6''N, 36°56'30.3''E, it's an engineering factory. So, the attacking aircraft was within sight of the town. Why is that remarkable? Well, Volchansk is only a few kilometres off the Russian border, and less than 40 kilometres from the centre of Belgorod (where parts of the Russian 108th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment should be stationed). It begs the question why the Ukrainians were able to conduct these attacks unimpeded within sight of a highly endangered Russian metropolis.

The constant failures of Russia's air defences have puzzled me for a long time. They can't be explained merely by attrition. Maybe the rumours are true that Putin withdrew most air defence units to Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
Is there actually any evidence that the aircraft was anywhere near the target? The GBU-39 is a stand-off weapon with a considerable range provided you don't release it at tree top level.

Sure, but look at the range of an S-400. One would assume that Russian air defence units would step on each others toes at the border, and they could well pick out a Su-27-sized target even if the GBU-39 is dropped at the very edge of its range envelope (about 100 km if memory serves right). A system like the Pantsir should also be able to attack the bomb itself, it's big enough for that.

I've come to loathe East Germans. Rod Steward held a concert in Leipzig yesterday, one song he introduced clad in Ukraine's flag and shouting "F*** Putin" into the mic – and the audience of 12,000 booed him off the stage. What the eff.

I've come to loathe East Germans. Rod Steward held a concert in Leipzig yesterday, one song he introduced clad in Ukraine's flag and shouting "F*** Putin" into the mic – and the audience of 12,000 booed him off the stage. What the eff.

One would think they would be more on Ukrainian side due to history. Or did they like the occupation?

One would think they would be more on Ukrainian side due to history. Or did they like the occupation?
'Member when we got everything from the state?

Only they're too young to remember how little "everything" was. Imagine ordering a tv online with a message coming up: "Delivery of your tv is expected in Q2 2027."

Pure paradise :rolleyes:

If your attack is going too well, it's most likely a trap.

'Member when we got everything from the state?

Only they're too young to remember how little "everything" was. Imagine ordering a tv online with a message coming up: "Delivery of your tv is expected in Q2 2027."

Pure paradise :rolleyes:

Work for ten years and maybe you get a brand old wartburg. Students now drive better cars.

Hapless state drones they need a strong man and a strong state with few choices and very little complicated things in life.

Once problems arise simple brain falls for propaganda or learned and taken care of prejudices.

Just watch YT movies about DDR schools that's not going away soon and many kept those ideas out of different reasons alive at home.

We gave them commercial gifts to play but many never valued the ideas which enabled that.

The commies came up with a Dolchstosslegende of sorts too.

The tricky unfair Western system scammed them.

They hate Jew Amerika. And have appreciation and understanding for Russia.

Hope we can root this out the next decades. It was completely overlooked I always noticed especially in the army that the east Germans of my age were "different" in a way I really couldn't describe.

Embarrassing and really annoying and we pumped two trillion into this.

F*** Leipzig give all the money back for your infrastructure.

OTOH Berlin applauded Rod when he said F*** Putin...

That's a remarkable difference to the Panzerhaubitze.

Now search for the OBAK BTR 80 with Kapustin and Falzet M.

Like I understand it the MSTAs rely on them for guidance.

Last edited:
You can say you "think" I'm mistaken, because you don't really know, nor do I. It is our speculation. We don't know what Putin is thinking. We do know that Russia has paid a price for it's adventure - both militarily and economically. Are Putin's oligarchs saying, "Hey Vlad, WTF bro. Enough is enough, this is starting to hurt"?

Maybe....maybe not.
Could be Steven Seagal is running Russia, and Putin is just a mouthpiece, could be aliens, honestly we dont understand them. In the west we would have massive protests by now. Even in some of the communist countries this would be enough to have the security forces(Next in line to go to the war) helping the protestors, etc etc. From where we sit, for most of the 'shareholders' in Russia, this is a bad situation. And yet Russians keep turning up for military duty, peoples' dads, sons, brothers keep 'not coming back' from Ukraine, and yet, from what we see, russians still obey/support Putin....