That's my understanding also.
And the vehicles to be sent now will be brought to the A7 standard once they're not immediatedly needed in Czechia anymore.

I stand corrected, the last news are talking about possible future order of 50 A7s, indeed. After all, it makes sense as the only tank battalion in the Czech Army (73rd Tank Battalion Přáslavice) has 50 tanks now.
That's my understanding also.
And the vehicles to be sent now will be brought to the A7 standard once they're not immediatedly needed in Czechia anymore.

That has been said as well, but I've also read it's not really realistic as A4 and A7 are totally different machines, they would have to strip the tanks to the basic frame, even the main gun is different and nobody does that with A4s. From A5s it's supposedly different story. So some modernization closer to the A7 standard is probable, something like Polish 2PL version.

Slovakia: CV-90.

Greece:
Athens signed and sent to the United States the Letter of Request (LoR) , i.e. the official request for the supply and purchase of F-35 fighter jets , an event for which Kyriakos Mitsotakis had envisioned during his recent trip to Washington .

In particular, the Greek Ministry of National Defense officially sent the USA from Wednesday the request for the purchase of 20+20 state-of-the-art American F-35 aircraft, as announced by the Prime Minister, taking the first step to start the process
https://www.cnn.gr/politiki/story/3...to-epikeimeno-taxidi-panagiotopoyloy-stis-hpa
f-35.jpg

Cyprus will be buying six H145M armed helicopters to replace the 11 Mi-35 attack helicopters that are currently in service with the Cyprus Air Command.

Lawmakers approved the down payment of $55 million for the deal in a closed-door session in June 20. Media reports say the deal is worth $147 million and includes weapons for the helicopters.

Cyprus has an option to buy six more H145Ms. The eleven Mi-35s will be sold to Serbia, according to news reports.
20px-Tag_der_Bundeswehr_Airbus_H145M_%28cropped%29.jpg

Czech Republic:
The Swedish ambassador to Czech Republic Fredrik Jörgensen said in an interview with Seznam Správy that Czech can keep the Gripens that it leased from Sweden for free.

The news comes as Czech is looking into buying 24 fighters as the lease for the Gripens will expire in 2027. According to the news report, the F-35 is the leading contender.

Slovakia will sign a government-to-government deal to purchase 152 CV90 MkIV tracked infantry fighting vehicles fitted with 35mm cannons by BAE Hägglunds, the country’s ministry of defense has announced.

Bratislava plans to acquire the vehicles from Sweden in an “effort to build [a] heavy mechanized brigade, and reinforce its defense and support local industry,” Slovakia’s Defence Minister Jaroslav Na? said in a tweet.

Czech Republic:
The Swedish ambassador to Czech Republic Fredrik Jörgensen said in an interview with Seznam Správy that Czech can keep the Gripens that it leased from Sweden for free.

The news comes as Czech is looking into buying 24 fighters as the lease for the Gripens will expire in 2027. According to the news report, the F-35 is the leading contender.
This was rather a desperate move by Swedish side when they've found out through the statement of vicepresident of F-35 business development on ILA Berlin Air Show that the acquisition of F-35 by Czechs is a real possibility. To me, it looks like Saab was certain we are gonna continue with Gripens as there was no official offer from Saab or even negotiations so far to this day even though they knew at least since the last autumn the Czech government wants to solve this new fighter issue asap. Maybe they thought we are gonna postpone the decision to the last possible moment like we did back in 2014 when, due to the lack of time, there was no other choice than continue with Gripens.

The answer by the Czech MoD minister to this Swedish offer by ambassador was "The Czech Republic did not get any official offer from Sweden about keeping our Gripens for free." She also thinks that the ambassador "exceeded hist authority by this". That says a lot, I guess.

Last edited:
Czech Republic:

Just announced by PM and Czech MoD minister, The Czech Republic is going for 24 F-35's as replacement for Gripens by 2027 and CV90 MkIV as replacement for BMP's. In case of CV90, the acquisition will be in cooperation with Slovakia, which decided for the same vehicles a few weeks ago.

Czech Republic:

Just announced by PM and Czech MoD minister, The Czech Republic is going for 24 F-35's as replacement for Gripens by 2027 and CV90 MkIV as replacement for BMP's. In case of CV90, the acquisition will be in cooperation with Slovakia, which decided for the same vehicles a few weeks ago.

The Czech Republic starts negotiations with Israel to purchase three Heron drones including ground control stations, data terminals, and shipping containers.
The acquisition comes as part of the Czech Army’s “Capability Building Concept,” an initiative to build up the service’s unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) capabilities for aerial reconnaissance, combat support, and ground unit protection.

An interesting but short discussion by J Bronk from RUSI, including the F16/Gripen/HARM in Ukraine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Edit: Added link to a simpler format.

Last edited:
An interesting but short discussion by J Bronk from RUSI, including the F16/Gripen/HARM in Ukraine.

Edit: Added link to a simpler format.
I wonder if the FA-50s from SK heading to Poland may find their way to Ukraine? The initial batch will not have AESA or AIM-120 capability, but later batches will.
Problems are SK may balk, capabilities 2-3 years out, and Poland needs them now as well. The price is right though, and they can be operated from dispersed airstrips.
I think either way, it will be difficult to provide Ukraine with such aircraft as long as the war is hot.

Just announced by the Minister of Defence, to the already ordered 4 Vipers and 8 Venoms, the Czech Army is gonna get 6 more Vipers and 2 Venoms for free from the US ??

Edit: We are gonna pay just for the modernisation and their transport to the Czechia:

Last edited:
Since they will be excess defense articles, the USMC's loss with restructuring is definitely the Czech Republic's gain. This was excellent timing for the Czechs and the helicopters they're getting can't be more than 10 years old. Let's see how many more the Czech Republic orders now.

I believe a minority of Z production were built on new airframes. Miss not having them fly over the house once in a while.

Cyprus:
The National Guard was eager to add it to its arsenal, and the Department of Defense accommodated the wishes of National Guard personnel. As "K" had written at the beginning of the summer, the Ministry of Defense implemented the government's decision to purchase the Israeli Iron Dome anti-aircraft system.

As "K" is aware, the decision has been implemented and the signatures have already been signed with the Israeli side. This particular system based on the available data is the best currently available in air defense. This particular weapon system has passed all the tough tests in Israel receiving excellent comments for the rate of effectiveness in dealing with attacks by Hamas.

The specific system was seen up close by the head of the National Guard, Lt. Gen. Dimokritos Zervakis, during a visit he made to Israel last March. The system is considered ideal for the needs of the Cypriot air defense as well as the threat from Turkish UAVs.
https://www.kathimerini.com.cy/gr/politiki/epesan-oi-ypografes-gia-tin-agora-tis-israilinis-aspidas

Slovakia:

Slovakian army is getting 15 Leopard 2A4 tanks from Germany in exchange for 30 BVP-1's donated to Ukraine.

Last edited:
Slovakia:

Slovakian army is getting 15 Leopard 2A4 tanks from Germany in exchange for 30 BVP-1's donated to Ukraine.

I'm not sure Germany is doing Slovakia a favour. The A4 is pretty obsolete now.