Mil News Current Iran/Iraq/US Tensions and Actions Unfolding

Sorry to see a boat go down but glad the 400 Cadets got evac'd ok. Onboard fires are always tricky. As easy as it is to take out a ship @ sea kinda surprised they only had 1 bigly supply boat.

I disagree. The IRGC is perfectly able to handle any major military power.
Would you care to provide an example of such major military powers? I have a hunch you're referring to mid-eastern countries such as UAE and SA.

Would you care to provide an example of such major military powers? I have a hunch you're referring to mid-eastern countries such as UAE and SA.

Iran’s Proxies in Iraq Threaten U.S. With More Sophisticated Weapons

BAGHDAD — The United States is grappling with a rapidly evolving threat from Iranian proxies in Iraq after militia forces specialized in operating more sophisticated weaponry, including armed drones, have hit some of the most sensitive American targets in attacks that evaded U.S. defenses.

At least three times in the past two months, those militias have used small, explosive-laden drones that divebomb and crash into their targets in late-night attacks on Iraqi bases — including those used by the C.I.A. and U.S. Special Operations units, according to American officials.

[...]

In contrast, some American analysts say that the militants are now targeting sites, even specific aircraft hangars, where sophisticated armed MQ-9 Reaper drones and contractor-operated turboprop surveillance aircraft are stationed in an attempt to disrupt or cripple the U.S. reconnaissance capability critical to monitoring threats in Iraq.

The United States has used Reapers for its most sensitive strikes, including the killing of Iran’s top security and intelligence commander, Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a senior Iraqi government official and a leader of Iraq’s militia groups, in Baghdad in January 2020.

While the United States has installed defenses to counter rocket, artillery and mortar systems at installations in Iraq, the armed drones fly too low to be detected by those defenses, officials said.

Shortly before midnight on April 14, a drone strike targeted a C.I.A. hangar inside the airport complex in the northern Iraqi city of Erbil, according to three American officials familiar with the matter.

No one was reported hurt in the attack, but it alarmed Pentagon and White House officials because of the covert nature of the facility and the sophistication of the strike, details of which were previously reported by The Washington Post.

A similar drone attack in the early morning hours of May 8 on the sprawling Ayn al-Asad air base in western Anbar Province — where the United States also operates Reaper drones — also raised concerns among American commanders about militias’ shifting tactics. The attack caused no injuries but damaged an aircraft hangar, according to Col. Wayne Marotto, a spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq.

Three days later, another drone struck just after midnight at an airfield in Harir, north of Erbil, that is used by the military’s highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command. The explosive-laden drone crashed, causing no injuries or damage, coalition officials said, but fueled the growing worries.

While many attacks against U.S. targets almost immediately generate claims of responsibility from militias, the more complex and longer-range drone strikes have not, a further indication that Iran is behind them, according to the American officials and independent analysts.

“There is increasing evidence that Iran is trying to have or has created some special groups, new ones that are able to conduct very sophisticated attacks against the U.S. interests,” said Hamdi Malik, an associate fellow with the Washington Institute for Near East Policy who focuses on Shiite militias.

BAGHDAD — The United States is grappling with a rapidly evolving threat from Iranian proxies in Iraq after militia forces specialized in operating more sophisticated weaponry, including armed drones, have hit some of the most sensitive American targets in attacks that evaded U.S. defenses.

At least three times in the past two months, those militias have used small, explosive-laden drones that divebomb and crash into their targets in late-night attacks on Iraqi bases — including those used by the C.I.A. and U.S. Special Operations units, according to American officials.

[...]

In contrast, some American analysts say that the militants are now targeting sites, even specific aircraft hangars, where sophisticated armed MQ-9 Reaper drones and contractor-operated turboprop surveillance aircraft are stationed in an attempt to disrupt or cripple the U.S. reconnaissance capability critical to monitoring threats in Iraq.

The United States has used Reapers for its most sensitive strikes, including the killing of Iran’s top security and intelligence commander, Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a senior Iraqi government official and a leader of Iraq’s militia groups, in Baghdad in January 2020.

While the United States has installed defenses to counter rocket, artillery and mortar systems at installations in Iraq, the armed drones fly too low to be detected by those defenses, officials said.

Shortly before midnight on April 14, a drone strike targeted a C.I.A. hangar inside the airport complex in the northern Iraqi city of Erbil, according to three American officials familiar with the matter.

No one was reported hurt in the attack, but it alarmed Pentagon and White House officials because of the covert nature of the facility and the sophistication of the strike, details of which were previously reported by The Washington Post.

A similar drone attack in the early morning hours of May 8 on the sprawling Ayn al-Asad air base in western Anbar Province — where the United States also operates Reaper drones — also raised concerns among American commanders about militias’ shifting tactics. The attack caused no injuries but damaged an aircraft hangar, according to Col. Wayne Marotto, a spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq.

Three days later, another drone struck just after midnight at an airfield in Harir, north of Erbil, that is used by the military’s highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command. The explosive-laden drone crashed, causing no injuries or damage, coalition officials said, but fueled the growing worries.

While many attacks against U.S. targets almost immediately generate claims of responsibility from militias, the more complex and longer-range drone strikes have not, a further indication that Iran is behind them, according to the American officials and independent analysts.

“There is increasing evidence that Iran is trying to have or has created some special groups, new ones that are able to conduct very sophisticated attacks against the U.S. interests,” said Hamdi Malik, an associate fellow with the Washington Institute for Near East Policy who focuses on Shiite militias.

More precisely, Iran claims to be attacking US forces stationed in ME. You are not attacking the United States.

The only thing these stupid attacks will win, is retaliation - have you seen how many things are going bump in Iran?

Also pretty sure the yanks will field a countermeasure quickly, given the strength of their economy and technology.

The US military's C-RAM defence system was activated to shoot down the drones above the Ain al-Assad base, located in Iraq's western desert, the Iraqi military said.
Several hours earlier a rocket was shot down above Baghdad airport, "without causing casualties or damage," said Colonel Wayne Marotto, spokesman for the US-led military coalition in Iraq.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack, but it is believed that the group, subordinate to the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, is the Al-Hashd al-Shaabi group.

Hezbollah founder Ali Akbar Mohtashamipur has died. His favorite pastime was reading books, little dancing boys & sipping whiskey. Preferably ones that don't explode.
E3Qh89EXoAAmpBs.webp

The US military's C-RAM defence system was activated to shoot down the drones above the Ain al-Assad base, located in Iraq's western desert, the Iraqi military said.
Several hours earlier a rocket was shot down above Baghdad airport, "without causing casualties or damage," said Colonel Wayne Marotto, spokesman for the US-led military coalition in Iraq.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack, but it is believed that the group, subordinate to the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, is the Al-Hashd al-Shaabi group.
Whaaaaaaaattttttt???????? How is that possible? I mean, isn't Iran going to take over the world with unbeatable drones?

Whaaaaaaaattttttt???????? How is that possible? I mean, isn't Iran going to take over the world with unbeatable drones?
I suspect sabotage, those evil Juice are everywhere....Literally everywhere, secure mountain missile lair - in there. Secret drone factory, got the plans, and the sticker. Self-built 'underground' - they made the map.

If it's substantially proven that the drones attacking al asad air base with Americans there were from the IRGC trying to kill US soldiers then the US needs a proportional response. May I suggest the Golestan Palace in Tehran while it's still decorated for Gay Pride month. It's precious.
golstan palace.webp

[...]

Your problems will start when you hit something by accident and then the US decide to bomb you back to the stone age - at that stage any 'progress' you have made will be knocked back 20 years

Just keep pushing and at some stage they will swat you like a fly on dung, and you will find out what a real military power can do

Yawn.

The very last time the US was hit real hard was nearly twenty years ago now and unfortunately no State was behind it although it gave Saddam a hard on. Assholistan sheltered and provided support to OBL of course, yet AQ was no state actor. Had 9/11 happened in Moscow or Beijing, whichever retard who’d have had this brilliant idea would have had his country flattened.

No country will ever, in the foreseeable future anyway attack America. Not even almighty China and Russia.

I dunno how some drones flying over US bases can change the rules of the game over there.

The West has great manpower and military, it only lacks the « will ». We haven’t been at war, on our soil anyway in a bit. War harden people. Peace is what we all wish for, if you want it prepare for the former. ;)

Your problems will start when you hit something by accident and then the US decide to bomb you back to the stone age - at that stage any 'progress' you have made will be knocked back 20 years

Just keep pushing and at some stage they will swat you like a fly on dung, and you will find out what a real military power can do
I agree, it will be an accident or a miscalculation, dictatorships lack the feedback of 'courts of inquiry' or the other lot getting in and reading all your emails. And lets face it, when God tells the leader he is right, you suggesting another option isnt going to do your pension plan any favours.....

Usually the west tries to avoid impacting civilians, but in Iran's case, I'd be tempted to 'inconvenience' the civilians, until they sort out the problem, so no power, reduced water, and then start dropping major road junctions, at the same time hit every leaders house, IRCG depot, and those lovely missile bases, every 10 minutes, until they are lava.

I know my friend will be along, to tell me Iran is ready, but with an economy down 20% pre-covid, now is probably the time to sort this out.

I agree, it will be an accident or a miscalculation, dictatorships lack the feedback of 'courts of inquiry' or the other lot getting in and reading all your emails. And lets face it, when God tells the leader he is right, you suggesting another option isnt going to do your pension plan any favours.....

Usually the west tries to avoid impacting civilians, but in Iran's case, I'd be tempted to 'inconvenience' the civilians, until they sort out the problem, so no power, reduced water, and then start dropping major road junctions, at the same time hit every leaders house, IRCG depot, and those lovely missile bases, every 10 minutes, until they are lava.

I know my friend will be along, to tell me Iran is ready, but with an economy down 20% pre-covid, now is probably the time to sort this out.
Sooner or later, the Iranian people will take care of the Mullahs and IRGC. It's only a matter of time. Tick-Tock.

Like we've seen in Vietnam, Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan?

The US is overrated. So is the rest of the Anglo-Saxon bunch.

I think everyone has learn the truth of trying to win wars, on the ground, I wouldnt expect any boots in Iran, which is also the reason Iran needs boots near israel, as it has no means of attack, otherwise.

The lessons or WW1 and 2, and the azeris v whoever it was, is that tech wins. You can have a great spirit, or belief, but your team will be massacred.

I know, I know, WW2 doesnt apply, the west has no guts, etc etc...

Mother of all battles turned into mother of all rout's - what they did not do was lock down Iraq for 6 months afterwards and deal with any 'issues' - so war was won but 'peace' was lost

Afghanistan should have just been flattened along with the other Stan to the side of it - not a blade of grass should have been left standing

As Fluff pointed out, the 'West' worry too much about killing 'innocent bystanders' - would not worry me one bit if they depopulated the whole area