Politics China insults Australia

In truth there's no need for coercion. Our economies were more than happy to enter a state of dependency on China, and no policy shift will take hold on the executive floors unless rendered a viable option through actual or perceived economic advantages. In my opinion, the best thing we can do now is to provide the necessary stimuli for companies overly reliant on China to find worthwhile options elsewhere.

The Chinese regime is a patient bunch, you've gotta give them that. They used authoritarianism's sole advantage over democracy – the ability for long-term planning unhindered by frequent changes of government – to their great profit. Systematically lulled into sleep, we've come within inches of being rendered unable to rebuff Beijing.

Their growth is truly remarkable. Twenty years ago, only experts had China on their radar as an emerging threat and most people would've laughed you out of the room had you predicted that in 2020 China's power would reach as far as Hollywood. That country might as well turn out to become the exception to the rule that in tyranny lies only failure. And I kind of wonder why not more regimes just try to copy a page or two out of their book.

The Oskar Schindler like companies employing Uigher work force really exemplifies the moral compass of businessmen. Child labour use . Another heroic resource in their eyes.

Why not process all in country and make the Chinese or other pay... pay dearly

It's currently economically unfeasible to make steel in great volumes here. Basically few people would be prepared to pay the price that we would have to sell it for.
Someone like Gupta's LHA down in Wyhalla is attempting to put efficiencies into place to become the worlds largest carbon-neutral steel producer by 2030, he's having to start from scratch, the 55 year old blast furnace is definitely not green.
He's going to be relying on governments looking for green tick steel rather than cheap steel to keep his business viable because our labour costs are so high.

why not a hybrid where Aussie invests in another country that has a cheaper labor to produce its steel. I just noticed that China is doing it now with belt and road initiative. They are trying to focus on more hi tech industries and are moving the low tech to other nations, with the additional benefits of having influence on them

Well, you'll be aware this is purely anecdotal. A hundred years ago the Boxer rebellion and China getting steamrolled by a small foreign expeditionary force was still fresh in memory, and the country was still about to get brutalised by a much smaller Japan for many terrible years to come. The fact is that many 1920s Chinese themselves would've considered their home country quite impotent, hence the long period of unrest that culminated in the Chinese Civil War.

why not a hybrid where Aussie invests in another country that has a cheaper labor to produce its steel

Which countries with cheap but qualified labour and infrastructure would be able to process about 600 million tons a year of Australian iron ore?

Well, you'll be aware this is purely anecdotal. A hundred years ago the Boxer rebellion and China getting steamrolled by a small foreign expeditionary force was still fresh in memory, and the country was still about to get brutalised by a much smaller Japan for many terrible years to come. The fact is that many 1920s Chinese themselves would've considered their home country quite impotent, hence the long period of unrest that culminated in the Chinese Civil War.

Actually Jack was a war correspondent to Japan in 1905 that is where he got his ideas about Asian awakening and his warning about US v Japan came true, rise of China, he wrote, was to come after Japan did to China what it did.

Which countries with cheap but qualified labour and infrastructure would be able to process about 600 million tons a year of Australian iron ore?
Most ASEAN states could, but again hence its an investment

One of the best threads I read in ages.

And by the way China didnt insult Australia. They accused them of commiting war crimes in Afghanistan. These claims are actually based on facts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think this is where we put a huge tariff on Chinese Aluminum... Or maybe you don't, if you're not a petulant child.
And in the mean time Rio Tinto is getting ready to close the aluminium smelter here in NZ cause because its uneconomic.......
Time for NZ and Australian goverments to start thinking strategically.

There is no appetite here to prop up Rio Tinto with subsidies (or any more than what they're currently getting). I doubt Jacinda is keen either.

Weirdly, there are 3 Aluminum smelters within 100km of Austral Ships shipyards. Also a bit weird, but I've worked at the Austal ship yards and at 3 of the aluminum bauxite mines that supply those smelters.

I guess thats the problem, no will to play the same game that China is. Same thing goes with our log exports and local sawmilling.

Were Russians insulted when China took away some river islands after killing there some Russian soldiers?
We won Damansky actually. So no it wasn't an insult.
If that wasn't an insult then Chincom cheap propaganda isn't insult either, right?
Its not propaganda. Its now confirmed that ADF were commiting war crimes in Afghanistan. Watch the documentary.

Its not propaganda. Its now confirmed that ADF were commiting war crimes in Afghanistan. Watch the documentary.

Killing a squirter, or a spotter, or a HVT on the kill/capture list, is a different kettle of fish to slitting kids throats, which is how this thread started out.

Yes SASR have some questionable kills under review. But if you want to keep on with your confirmed war crimes nonsense, try me out, see how you go.

Its all in documentary I posted. Watch it.

Sure they insulted, or how would you describe posting a picture of a soldier killing a child through an official channel? Should Western politicians post pictures of a Chinese policeman shooting someone? How would that Insult China? Now compare the reactions.

And bear in mind why China posted that. Not because of caring but just as a retaliation. They even see it as an insult when you demand an Investigation into the corona outbreak. Which they try hard to make it seem as not even coming from China at all.

The West cannot be friends with China, I hope this illusion is over. We have to bring back as many industries as possible. And prepare for a rivalry of independently operating systems.

Like in the cold war you can chose sides. I think it will take some time to tackle all the profiteurs running to the politicians and painting doom scenarios.

But I think China has shown enough of ist true face to know what a China dominated world would look like: Being suffocated by harmony.

That was an erratic venture. I always new but for many the greed was bigger and the Chinese acted smart as they also tricked and lobbyied satured western politicians.

Eventually they will bite out a big part of mother Russia too…..just wait for it. Your southern border already looks like China...