Photos The French In Indochina

Legionnaires of the CEPML (Compagnie Etrangère Parachutiste de Mortiers Lourds) on November 20, 1953, first day of Operation Castor
800px-1er_cepml-63ef0d.jpg

wounded viet-minh
597px-HD-SN-99-02043.jpg

viet-minh prisoners
weas6.jpg

12275010.jpg

post of Tu Le
attente-de-l-attaque-2--.jpg

TULE-1.jpg

on-les-attend--.jpg

TULE-12.jpg

de-gauche---droite-X-MURIEL-bless---X-etRIVIER.jpg

Assis-au-centre--nue-t-te-l-aspirant-CANTON.jpg

CARION-suivi-de-LEGRAND.jpg

les-bless-s----MUONG-CH-N.jpg

ques-heures-de-r-cup-ration-au-poste-de-MUONG-CH-N.jpg

Sur-le-cheval-QUILLAC.jpg

Great photos......you don't get to see French pics from Vietnam too often, thanks for posting!

The soldier with the binoculars is named Hélie Denoix de Saint Marc (1922-2013). He is a Resistance fighter and a career officer of the French army, decorated with the highest military distinctions with thirteen commendations, having served in the Foreign Legion, in particular within its parachute units. Acting commander of the 1st foreign parachute regiment, he took part at the head of his regiment in the generals' putsch in April 1961 (Algeria) and was sentenced to ten years' imprisonment. Rehabilitated in 1978, he was elevated to the dignity of Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor on November 28, 2011.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

One of the M24 tanks shown above could be in my avatar. When inside I saw on the gun carriage "Chrysler Tank Works, Detroit Michigan, 1953".

It went to the French before being acquired by the Viet Minh who most likely used it until no more spares were available.

It was on static display somewhere near Phu Bai as well as I recall. I also had a pic of a WW2 vintage Stalinets crawler tractor, but that one has gone missing over the years.

Operation Castor, launched on 20 November 1953, was a military operation of the French army entrusted to General Gilles and whose objective was to seize the plain of Dien Bien Phu.

It was the largest airborne operation of the Indochina War. The battle of Dien Bien Phu began four months later.
710.jpg

8_10.jpg

810.jpg

2eme BEP
20_10.jpg

2010.jpg

2110.jpg

110.jpg

21_10.jpg

2310.jpg

2810.jpg