Space Voyages into space

First tourists to the ISS due to launch today at 14h54 UTC

15 minutes to lift off. Can be watched on spacex.com

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And the SLS with the Orion capsule on top is back at the launchpad for a departure no earlier than August 29th.

First flight to the moon of a potentially crewed spaceship since almost 50 years.

The point of this mission is reconnaissance, the launching of a lunar observer for mapping best landing zones. Among other planned observations through the launch of 10 cubesats around the moon.

I thought we did all the recco we needed with the Lunar Orbiters back in the late 60s... I'm guessing the landing criteria has changed or they've gotten better photos since then that tell them they needed even more information.

I thought we did all the recco we needed with the Lunar Orbiters back in the late 60s... I'm guessing the landing criteria has changed or they've gotten better photos since then that tell them they needed even more information.

Lots was observed back in the day. We take less risks with equipment and people nowadays. The Apollo 8 mission comes to mind with three astronauts flying on a space ship that was tested once with a crew (Apollo 7) and mostly taking off on a Saturn V rocket that only flew twice before (including Apollo 6 that was a disaster with pogo vibrations, ruptured fuel lines, turbulence that would have injured or perhaps killed the crew)...There was much more risk taking.

Landing sites have been studied, gravitational anomalies hape been mapped for some locations, but there are much more to find. Especially (that is what I understood) because, unlike the Apollo missions landing near the equator in order to save fuel and time, the future missions landing sites are planned to be much closer to the poles, including the south one where water would be. These missions are planned to be the first steps for permanent bases. And the race is on with China for the best sites to build a base that has the best chances of being survivable, and profitable (mining perhaps).

EDIT: launch time is planned at August 29th at 8h30 am Florida time. But needs to be double checked.

Are we going to get unedited pictures of the dark side of the moon? ?

Also, are you spending all those tax dollars on getting the first woman of colour on the moon, or are you going with the LBQT+++ option for full woke coverage. Are you really sending the best person for the job or just fulfilling a quota:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure once they have taken a few more pictures, there will be no landing on the moon again and that part of this project will be quietly forgotten about

Are we going to get unedited pictures of the dark side of the moon? ?

Also, are you spending all those tax dollars on getting the first woman of colour on the moon, or are you going with the LBQT+++ option for full woke coverage. Are you really sending the best person for the job or just fulfilling a quota:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure once they have taken a few more pictures, there will be no landing on the moon again and that part of this project will be quietly forgotten about
I don´t think so Blackcat. Today we are pretty sure the moon has minerals we could use, we know we can find local water, and there is a challenger in the race like there was in the sixties.

NASA started early on to diversify its recruits for the space shuttle program, that´s why they asked Nichelle Nichols (lieutenant Uhrura on Star Trek) to help transform how NASA was perceived in some environments (Whitie on the moon) and that did´nt help future funding.

Now the NASA launcher SLS is a white elephant, with tonnage under what a Saturn V could do...and pretty outdated in many aspects using the space shuttle RS25 engines and solid rocket boosters. Even the central orange part is the redesigned fuel tank of the shuttle.

We have to see if SpaceX starship can fly and come back. That vehicle is revolutionary in its low manufacturing costs and tonnage capacity.

I don´t think so Blackcat. Today we are pretty sure the moon has minerals we could use, we know we can find local water, and there is a challenger in the race like there was in the sixties.

NASA started early on to diversify its recruits for the space shuttle program, that´s why they asked Nichelle Nichols (lieutenant Uhrura on Star Trek) to help transform how NASA was perceived in some environments (Whitie on the moon) and that did´nt help future funding.

Now the NASA launcher SLS is a white elephant, with tonnage under what a Saturn V could do...and pretty outdated in many aspects using the space shuttle RS25 engines and solid rocket boosters. Even the central orange part is the redesigned fuel tank of the shuttle.

We have to see if SpaceX starship can fly and come back. That vehicle is revolutionary in its low manufacturing costs and tonnage capacity.

Having sat and watched the 'first man on the moon' I am surprised we are sat here today and space travel has not become a 'normal' thing

I am not even sure NASA will be able to put someone on the moon again and recover them - you can remind me of my scepticism when it happens ;)

As for minerals, yes there are useful items there but should we just be sending unmanned vehicles to mine and make other vehicles - why do you need some human in a suit - it makes no sense whatsoever

The manned mission will get canned - mark my words

The planned mission to Mars seems to have been quietly dropped as well

where is @Penny when we need her:)

Artemiss - going nowhere

Hope they have got a good LBGT++++ woman of colour with a decent spanner to mend it before Friday :rolleyes:

This whole programs feels like a tired afterthought, so uninspiring…
Most of the coverage seems to be the woman space director and her goal to get a woman of colour on the moon

I would be more worried about getting her back again :rolleyes:

It's not about the best man for the job - it's about woke box licking - and that will end up with someone getting dead

They had to put a bloke on tonight's news from NASA to explain what was wrong as it was a bit technical..................

Where are the tranny's in space, I ask? Not stupid enough to volunteer for a one way mission(Y)