civil aerospace Civilian aviation/aerospace thread

Gaz

Mi General
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
United-Kingdom
Most of the aviation news recently has been a bit grim with the 737 Max debacle and the Superjet accident so here's a couple of nicer things that happened lately.

First flight of the Stratolaunch (The world's largest aircraft). The point where it breaks cover from behind the hangars is amazing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

First flight of the Flaris LAR1 (Polish made VLJ).

Good Thread, something more positive from the Sector.

For Russia there is new Project
The MS-21 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irkut_MC-21

This Aircraft has a lot of Potential - The issue is as always that of Export Market.
The Goal is an Aircraft that will fit the Niche of the B737, A32X (1) Fleets, but with Russian Equipment, and with the Ideal to eventually long Haul - 777 etc Equivalents again. The Issues in Russian Industry is not capability but that of Industry and supply, with recent events there may also be a matter of trust to be overcome but I think that will be not difficult.

Pilatus PC-24 Business Jet lands on grass strip at Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Air Accident in Nepal
April 14, 2019. 3 killed (including pilot), 4 injured. The Twin Otter was trying to take off from airport that is at 9300 feet ASL

Not sure where to put this but it impressed me . Mind you , you would nt get me on one ! Does sound like the French military have invested in part though how you d apply this tech militarily remains to be seen .

@bfc1001 This successful inventor can consider himself lucky, because while he’s clearly a genius of sort his first few attempts just to «fly » actually landed him in custody for a few hours for fingerprints and the whole deal. It’s the story he’s told in the medias here for a few months now.

Unfortunately this country is sometimes a joke and I can understand the US or the commonwealth often laugh at us, in the end it’s a Hollywood like happy ending for him although it’s not over yet. He now wants to build a flying car.

I’m very glad he succeeded, and that something that will indeed serve our army and those abroad as well was created around here.

328SS (ex Dornier) is going to build the Dornier 328 again: Click

1280px-01_united_statsnk6s.jpg

This is cool news. Always loved that plane.

I dunno. I freely admit that I don't work in the commercial market so it's a bit of a mystery to me but I'm not really aware of a market for a midsized twin turboprop airliner. It's either smaller - BN2 size - or bigger - Q400 size.

There's an intermediate segment still dominated by the Beechcraft 1900, the Metroliner or the Embraer Brasilia.

German pundits say that when it first flew in the early 1990s, the Do 328 was far too advanced and over-engineered to become a bestseller at the time.

But they think the aircraft might fare better nowadays. The "old" 328 offers a great deal of comfort, reflected by an above-average amount used as corporate aircraft or air ambulances; and should the manufacturer be able to keep its promises of increasing the new 328's range and speed, the new installment should not only be able to attract current operators of the Do 328 but also raise interest from airlines operating those other types, many of which are not in production anymore and need a replacement.

Besides, the American parent company of 328SS seems to think they'll be able to sell the new aircraft to the USAF, which already operates a sizable fleet of second-hand 328's. Last but not least, they want to be the first to produce an electrically propelled regional aircraft. They've acquired the assistance of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) for this undertaking.

On the other hand, this joint venture might come too late to succeed, and Dornier projects have had a history of being too expensive to be competitive. Just a couple of weeks ago, Switzerland's RUAG announced to end production of the Dornier 228NG, a reiteration of that classic turboprop. No one denies the series' ruggedness and exceptional utility, of which many serve in militaries or under harsh conditions (such as airliners in the Himalaya) – but although a lot of them are ageing and need urgent replacing, RUAG could only sell like a dozen NGs.

Sure, but the market for 1900s, Metroliners and Brasilias is quiet, they're not moving around a whole lot secondhand - I can imagine an OEM thinking about filling the void that those aircraft being retired will leave, but to be honest - if there was a market for it then I'd have imagine Bombardier, ATR or Textron would have been all over it.

There are approximately 100 328s left in service today, about a quarter of them are in corporate fit and less than 10 are in ambulance fit so am not really sure that's a market either. I work in the corporate aircraft market - people are looking for smaller or longer range/faster aircraft than the 328. The biggest current operator of the 328 is the USAF and there's the next paragraph talking about that.

Am not entirely sure I would believe anything that 328SS say about the 328 and the USAF buying them because am pretty sure all those secondhand sales were arranged by Sierra Nevada in the States.
328SS is owned by Sierra Nevada, so I can believe they're confident of selling them. A lot of the stuff that AFSOC buy is arranged by Sierra Nevada - the PC-12s for example. I don't think they've ever sold them brand new aircraft.

Initial reports are it flew through a flock of seagulls (Not making that up) whilst climbing out and lost both engines.
By the way, is it normal for a commercial pilot to be that young?

By the way, is it normal for a commercial pilot to be that young?
I'm glad you asked, yes, it is normal nowadays given the "ab initio" programs of most flight schools in the planet. I was surprised at how low the hours is of the captain at 3000 hours. If that is not just the "command time" then its very low. I'm at 2000+ and thats only cause my airlines ensures we fly a maximum of only 70hours a month. Most of my mates are already approaching 3000 as FOs in another airline that drives their pilots to 100hrs a month, youngest in my batch is 21 when we graduated 3 years ago.

Most of the captains in my company would be in the 30s-40s, youngest being 28 years old I think. Luckily we undergo a serious vetting process and checks whether the candidate is mature enough to handle the mindset needed for being a captain.

This is actually a global debate as the "stick and rudder" pilots look down on our kinds of pilots. With our lord savior Captain Sullenberger stating that his stunt wouldnt have been successful if it was flown by low timers with a lot old timers agreeing with him. This was countered by some saying that there are thousands of these flights flown by these "low timer guys" that are successful and non eventful and its more of the quality of training issue.

Then this event happened, which is interesting as the event was close to what the miracle on the Hudson was, but in lower altitude and less time to react, flown by the "ab initio" pilots, yet the flight deck executed it very well. The situational awareness alone needed to ignore the checklist, which required to put the gears down, would have been detrimental in my own opinion... was damn near godlike. Their reason was "farm lands and we saw ditches on the land, it would be smoother with the gears up."

So some interesting convo is probably happening on the industry....

Last edited: