Space Australian Space Programs

Penny

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
Australia
WRESAT: When Australia beat the world to space

At 2.19 pm on 29 November 1967 Australia became a spacefaring nation. WRESAT, the first Australian satellite, was launched into orbit from Woomera in South Australia, making Australia only the third nation to design and launch a satellite from its own territory.

The lead up to this game-changing launch is a story of international collaboration, Aussie ingenuity, and an epic effort by engineers and scientists.

Article Link: https://australiascience.tv/wresat-when-australia-beat-the-world-to-space/

First Launch from Australia to the Edge of Space

From September 2020
Air Force launched its first ever sub-orbital rocket from Australia to the edge of space on the weekend.
As part of its High Altitude Program, Air Force is exploring the delivery and employment of game-changing capabilities in the upper atmosphere.
The launch was the first to take place from the Southern Launch Koonibba Test Range, a new commercial rocket range in South Australia, and the rocket carried an Australian designed and made prototype miniature radio frequency receiver payload.

Article Link: https://www.asdnews.com/news/defense/2020/09/22/first-launch-australia-edge-space

Australian telescope maps new atlas of the universe in record speed

A powerful new telescope developed by Australian scientists has mapped three million galaxies in record speed, unlocking the universe’s deepest secrets.

The Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (Askap) broke records as it conducted its first survey of the entire southern sky, mapping approximately three million galaxies in 300 hours.
Article Link: https://www.theguardian.com/science...aps-new-atlas-of-the-universe-in-record-speed

FINDING DARK MATTER BELOW VICTORIA

A new laboratory, being built 1km below Victoria in an old gold mine is scheduled to soon become operational and its hoped it will change our view of the universe forever – revealing one of nature’s most mysterious and elusive materials: Dark Matter.

The Laboratory, buried deep within the Earth for additional shielding against the raining assault of cosmic-ray bombardment, will be the first dark matter detector in the southern hemisphere, joining an array of detectors above the equator.

Article Link: https://spaceaustralia.com/index.php/news/finding-dark-matter-below-victoria

Australia's First Mission to the Moon

Lunar Ascent, an industry-led consortium spearheaded by Space Machines Company and supported by Deloitte, is inviting all companies and related entities in the space industry to join this moon shot – to send the first Australian nanosatellites to orbit around the Moon in 2024 by providing a cost-effective and innovative rideshare opportunity for Australian commercial, scientific and educational payloads to access the moon, using Space Machines Company’s in-space transportation platform.

The consortium is building fast as partners and Lunar rideshare customers express their intent to be involved in this mission, including Saber Astronautics, Inovor Technologies and Sitael Australia. Industry consultation and engagement will continue until late March when the Mission will be officially launched.

Article Link: https://www.spaceindustry.com.au/au...n industry-led,providing a cost-effective and

Purra goes to space with NASA and SpaceX

Australia was part of something special when the NASA and SpaceX Crew-1 mission launched on Monday, 16 November (Australian time).

The Australian Space Agency had precious cargo onboard Crew Dragon Resilience in the form of its toy space kangaroo named Purra. Purra was lucky to score a spot on the first fully operational NASA-SpaceX flight headed to the International Space Station.

Crew Dragon Resilience docked at the space station on Tuesday, 17 November. The Australian Space Agency were excited to recently receive the below space station greeting from Purra and NASA Crew-1 member, Shannon Walker.

Article Link: https://www.industry.gov.au/news/purra-goes-to-space-with-nasa-and-spacex

Purra the kangaroo on the ISS with NASA and SpaceX

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Learning the Star Knowledge of First Australians

What comes to mind when you think of an “astronomer”? Perhaps a scientist peering through a telescope, contemplating the origins of the Universe? Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.

These days, a vast majority of professional astronomers spend their time behind computers instead. Modern telescopes are computer-controlled and hooked up to an array of high-precision instruments used to record vast quantities of high-precision data, far beyond the capabilities of the human eye. Astronomy is an exciting job, but only about 10,000 people work as professional astronomers today.

The work of an astronomer is one of the oldest skilled professions in the world. In ancient times, people observed the Sun, Moon and stars to navigate across land and sea, to understand the cycles of nature, and to predict seasonal changes, weather patterns, and the behaviour of plants and animals. This science is something that First Australians developed long ago. Knowledge of the stars is also used as a guide for informing traditional Law, social behaviours, kinship systems, and marriage classes – a practice that continues today.

Article Link: https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/astronomy/learning-the-star-knowledge-of-first-australians/

I just got my ARSE stubby holder last week.
Screenshot_20210204-195121_One UI Home.jpg

I also picked up a mars rover stubby holder...

Screenshot_20210204-195057_Calculator.jpg

Back when the world was young without computers I had to learn the arcane art of celestial navigation, all computations were done on paper and it was boring as hell.

Check this link about first Australians

Last edited:
Back when the world was young without computers I had to learn the arcane art of celestial navigation, all computations were done on paper and it was boring as hell.

Check this link about first Australians

Did you find any of the celestial navigation interesting, though?

I hadn't heard of that, interesting connections by Fenton, thanks Morris, will read up more on this.

Did you find any of the celestial navigation interesting, though?

Introduction course was. It had brief history of navigation and some cosmology but day-to-day routine is like bookkeeping, some people find poetry in numbers but that escaped me. Didn't have to do it everyday, though, it was backup exercise in case all electronics stop working. Also it was fun trying to take readings when sea is rocky, makes you to appreciate how navigators of old mapped the world.

Introduction course was. It had brief history of navigation and some cosmology but day-to-day routine is like bookkeeping, some people find poetry in numbers but that escaped me. Didn't have to do it everyday, though, it was backup exercise in case all electronics stop working. Also it was fun trying to take readings when sea is rocky, makes you to appreciate how navigators of old mapped the world.
That's very cool. I am glad it wasn't all boring. I would have been shattered if you'd said it was.