Soldiers from 4th Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, call for air missions during a joint activity with U.S. Marines at Pōhakuloa Training Area, Hawaii. July 2022
xtl1vmr2hyk91.jpg

A RAAF Mirage IIIO armed with an excellent combination of one Super 530 (for long range or for very low or high flying targets) and two AIM-9 Sidewinder AAMs. The good old days!
FbtmviwWQAAB3K9?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

I'm not entirely sure they've even figured out a role for them yet, let alone a list of critical spares...
Drone carriers, mobile joint fires controllers, recce, screening

Part of a 32 Battalion-like ‘systems centric’ task group package

That’s what I’d be experimenting with

Drone carriers, mobile joint fires controllers, recce, screening

Part of a 32 Battalion-like ‘systems centric’ task group package

That’s what I’d be experimenting with
For a wagon of its weight, it lacks the payload or more importantly space for those tasks. If it all needs to be under armor, the Bushmaster would be better and if mobility was the key the Supacat platforms would be better and both have a better payload and are already in service. As Dig alluded to at a practical level these don't seem to have much of a role as the Bushmaster already fulfills the kind of roles things like the JLTV does in other forces.

For a wagon of its weight, it lacks the payload or more importantly space for those tasks. If it all needs to be under armor, the Bushmaster would be better and if mobility was the key the Supacat platforms would be better and both have a better payload and are already in service. As Dig alluded to at a practical level these don't seem to have much of a role as the Bushmaster already fulfills the kind of roles things like the JLTV does in other forces.
Yeah, most things wind up being a compromise on trying to meet requirements.

The Supacat vehicles used by SOCOMD/SOCC seem cool, but also don’t seem suitable for most RF general utility and many specific use cases.

Bushmaster empty weight is higher than Hawkei max weight.

When we look at the increasingly Pacific focused USMC dumping tanks, I think the same compass bearing(lower weight to project forward) will filter down(somewhat). In a contested environment it becomes a math problem. If you can’t afford to push the weight forward into the fight(especially in peer contested space), it’s utility will decline.

My thought is a mix of protected mobility vehicles that can sustain 5 pers(Hawkei/JLTV), 10 pers(Bushmaster) , and larger format UNIMOG like wagons that can be configured as “arsenal trucks” and the full range of CSS.

Lynx/Redback and maybe M1 Abrams depending on environment/location/threat

And relying on joint fires.

Like a ground version of NGAD reportedly being a fleet/network/suite of integrated platforms and systems.

“Every soldier a rifleman” aspiration turns into “every vehicle a joint fires director”(aspirational).

One thing I noticed with Hawkei over JLTV is the price.

Hawkei 2-3x the price of JLTV, but JLTV doesn’t provide Australian defence industry jobs.

Personally, I think the real breakthru will come in the form of better/faster/cheaper drone(air/ground) systems management.

UI(User Interface) of .MIL stuff has a long way to go before it achieves the same intuitive level as .COM

The problem is much like Hawkei versus JLTV. You need big volume to get better features at a lower price point.

Yeah, most things wind up being a compromise on trying to meet requirements.

The Supacat vehicles used by SOCOMD/SOCC seem cool, but also don’t seem suitable for most RF general utility and many specific use cases.

Bushmaster empty weight is higher than Hawkei max weight.

When we look at the increasingly Pacific focused USMC dumping tanks, I think the same compass bearing(lower weight to project forward) will filter down(somewhat). In a contested environment it becomes a math problem. If you can’t afford to push the weight forward into the fight(especially in peer contested space), it’s utility will decline.

My thought is a mix of protected mobility vehicles that can sustain 5 pers(Hawkei/JLTV), 10 pers(Bushmaster) , and larger format UNIMOG like wagons that can be configured as “arsenal trucks” and the full range of CSS.

Lynx/Redback and maybe M1 Abrams depending on environment/location/threat

And relying on joint fires.

Like a ground version of NGAD reportedly being a fleet/network/suite of integrated platforms and systems.

“Every soldier a rifleman” aspiration turns into “every vehicle a joint fires director”(aspirational).

One thing I noticed with Hawkei over JLTV is the price.

Hawkei 2-3x the price of JLTV, but JLTV doesn’t provide Australian defence industry jobs.

Personally, I think the real breakthru will come in the form of better/faster/cheaper drone(air/ground) systems management.

UI(User Interface) of .MIL stuff has a long way to go before it achieves the same intuitive level as .COM

The problem is much like Hawkei versus JLTV. You need big volume to get better features at a lower price point.
My issue isn't so much the vehicle itself but the role it was designed to apparently fill. It was supposed to replace a number of the Land Rovers within the ADF with a protected option. A lot of the roles where Land Rovers (4x4 and 6x6) were used are now done by the Bushmaster whereas the JLTV was a direct replacement for armored/up-armored Hummvee's.
I think there is a chance it will become an expensive gun truck used around firm bases or support the likes of Combat Logistics Patrols and go the way of the UK Panther. Both the Bushmaster and Supacat are pretty well future-proofed (105/155mm gun, Brimstone, NSM) and have an existing market share to see the design supported and developed. Other manufacturers saw the limitations of (capability and a market for) their equivalent 4x4 PMV-L vehicles so the likes of GD have the Eagle V and also offer a 6x6 option so the platform can adequately cover a lot of roles whilst keeping largely the same base platform.

My issue isn't so much the vehicle itself but the role it was designed to apparently fill. It was supposed to replace a number of the Land Rovers within the ADF with a protected option. A lot of the roles where Land Rovers (4x4 and 6x6) were used are now done by the Bushmaster whereas the JLTV was a direct replacement for armored/up-armored Hummvee's.
I think there is a chance it will become an expensive gun truck used around firm bases or support the likes of Combat Logistics Patrols and go the way of the UK Panther. Both the Bushmaster and Supacat are pretty well future-proofed (105/155mm gun, Brimstone, NSM) and have an existing market share to see the design supported and developed. Other manufacturers saw the limitations of (capability and a market for) their equivalent 4x4 PMV-L vehicles so the likes of GD have the Eagle V and also offer a 6x6 option so the platform can adequately cover a lot of roles whilst keeping largely the same base platform.
You’ve got a much better handle on competing and currently available platforms than I.

If I had authorisation to shape defence R&D investment it would be directed towards:

1)Man portable and vehicle compatible network and fire control workstations, including AR/VR googles(F35 helmet Moore’s Law ‘trickle down’). Any individual or vehicle can have the over the horizon fires of a god with the UI of a Macca’s order screen “Do you want fries with your drone swarm and HIMARS happy meal?”

2)Next-gen camouflage for individuals and vehicles, specifically to counter man/machine readable sensors

All I know is that unless you’re patrolling in dense bush, you better have immediate access to something with wheels or tracks, or you’re going to die.

And even then you’re probably going to die unless it’s the right mix of weight, mobility, protection, and cargo cub….which still might not save you.

And if you keep moving too long and can’t rest you’re definitely going to die.

Interesting times ahead.

I reckon the air domain will be split again. Even IF coalition air dominates the airspace, the first 500m will likely still be heavily contested.

Which means adversary drone systems will be even more annoying and prevalent than west coast sand flies for ground forces.

I remember seeing some photos of Ranger Regiment command element vehicles with screens that would be close to 20 years old now.

Whatever they had 5 years ago for peer adversary missions would probably be a good indicator of what we should be doing now. And what they have now for peer adversary missions is where we should hope to be soon.

The Boxer combat reconnaissance vehicle has reached Initial Operational Capability on schedule under Project Land 400 Phase 2.
312058337_501915678642640_6562628780589661793_n.jpg
312201119_501915625309312_7234926241552678845_n.jpg
312205889_501915615309313_1879947369244861568_n.jpg
312218596_501915675309307_6520741209261735683_n.jpg
312237973_501915605309314_2347748947249247142_n.jpg

The Boxer was tested during Exercise Sea Raider and is now employed within the 7th Brigade - Australian Army.