I quote: "If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000
troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a
total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000
soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington, DC is 80.6 per 100,000 for the
same period. That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and
killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control
laws in the US, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion: "The US should pull out of Washington.

The truth be known....

Yes, but let's not forget merry old England. Since Great Britain outlawed firearms, the violent crime rate has been soaring to the highest level it's ever been. I wonder if that's why so many Brits are relocating to Austrailia.

bou;bou;bou;

Wrong yet AGAIN ???!!!

Yes, but let's not forget merry old England. Since Great Britain outlawed firearms, the violent crime rate has been soaring to the highest level it's ever been. I wonder if that's why so many Brits are relocating to Austrailia.

bou;bou;bou;

GB NEVER had allowable gun laws mate. We got stuck into each other with fists, feet, knees, elbows, knives swords, battle axes et al !

None of that cissy 20 feet apart nonsense!
Mike

As far as warfare on our own soil, America conquered the French and their Indian allies in the French-Indian War,(yes, America was at that time a British Colony).

Then we, as a colony, kicked the British out in the Revolutionary War, and formed the United States of America.
Then in 1812, we fought the British yet again. Even though Washington,D.C. was literally burned to the ground, we thwarted the British invasion.
Then we had a difference of opinion, concerning slavery and emancipation, which resulted in the American Civil War.
After that we had a bit of a problem with Pancho Villa down Texas way.
The Japanese invaded Alaska in WWII. Nazi spies and sabuteurs infilrated our cities and defense plants.
And now we're dealing with the same scumbags that Great Britain has been dealing with for many years, Terrorists. 9/11 was not just an attack on the United States; it was against every christian soul on the planet.

Granted, we haven't been around as long as European Cities. Consider that our forefathers were from countries that were ruled by monarchs. We have a document called The Bill of Rights; whose 2nd Amendment states: "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon". We came to this country to escape the monarchs, to practice our own individual religious beliefs, and to govern ourselves. It may not be a perfect solution, but it's ours, and we stand ready to defend it with our very lives!

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now...

Last edited by a moderator:
You have really piss#d me off

You are right out of order. Note that this is posted in the jokes area.

In 1999, there were 28,874 gun-related deaths in the United States - over 80 deaths every day. (Source: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (8).)

That's f#$%ing disgusting.

It's a load of balls to state that the US has never been invaded because it's citizens are tooled up. You're thousands of miles away from any body who you might have been at war with in two world wars.You fought your wars on foreign soil and still do. Whereas Britain was just 27 miles from occupied France and the Germans bombed **** out of us nightly causing thousands of civilian deaths.(I can remember spending the night in a bomb shelter at the foot of our garden listening to the whistle of falling bombs and the subsequent explosions ) Would there have been less dead if we'd all been tooled up ??!!! Crap.
Don't bother replying, you're struck off my friends list.

Bunny
I appears you have turned what appears to be a light hearted joke into the defence of your great nation.
As a cop I can tell you that statistics show since the banning of certain firearms in the UK, firearms incidents have dropped significantly, in fact most of the recorded firearms related crimes committed involve imitation guns, those that have used real guns are gang members that model themselves around th La gangs of America.

I hope we can resolve this misunderstanding given that our two countries have a fought alongside each other for a long time and indeed are at present.

I'm not sure about your phrase a man without a gun is a subject etc etc etc.
All firearms officers and soldiers here in the uk have sworn allegiance to our queen and country and therefore are subjects but equally citizens and not simply because they carry firearms.

I apologize most sincerely. I did not mean to belittle Great Britain's valiant efforts against the Nazi blitz in WWII. Nor did I mean to infer that being "tooled-up" is a deterent to invasion or attack. All I was trying to state was that as an American, I have the ability to defend my life and that of my loved ones, with deadly force if need be.

As airborne stated, there are far too many gun deaths in this country. I won't pretend to understand how life is in other countries, but here we have a serious problem with violent gang activity. Home invasions are up. Preying on the infirm and the elderly is up. I'm not trying to sugar coat anything, but out of fairness, I have to ask a question; out of the 28,874 gun deaths reported, how many were ruled in self defense?

As far as the statement about us not being invaded because of private gun ownership, I retract that statement, and have altered my thread accordingly.

I'm not a very educated man, so I am not up on all the facts and figures. When I make a mistake, I admit it. I have made one HUGE one in this thread, offending those who have befriended me, by inadvertantly slandering their homeland, and for that I am truly sorry.

No worries mate.
As civilised people it is easy for us to sort out our misunderstandings.

Regards

Bombardier

Hi Gunbuuny,

If one goes through life without making mistakes, then one never learns. One to apologies for one’s mistakes takes a man with his heart in the right place.

Silky

Thanks, John, it's not always an easy thing to admit being wrong. I've known a few people in my life who never did figure out that humility and pride are two sides of the same coin.

Guys, check the math. 2112 deaths for 160,000 troops is 1320 per 100,000.

This is just another right wing extremist pile of nonsense. You can find it referred to on forums by the thousands with all types of stupid conclusions being drawn and NO ONE bothering to do an elementary check of the math.

:
An interesting letter in the Australian Shooter Magazine this week,
which
I quote: "If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000
troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a
total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000
soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington, DC is 80.6 per 100,000 for the
same period. That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and
killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control
laws in the US, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion: "The US should pull out of Washington.