Other Post All things Australian

1632605261546.jpeg

stuck in a rain soaked desert :rolleyes:
They picked them up yesterday. I worked out there for the last decade, storms this time of year can often cause wide spread flooding. They probably could have prevented the incident if they were a bit more aware, but they're also pretty unlucky.

Diving the remnants of a WW2 attack on Australia

I spent some time near Broom in early 80s but never knew about the Catalina wrecks back then.
Catalinas wrecks Broom.png

Also I heard a story about a Dutch Catalina with load of diamonds shot down by Japanese just of the beach, the pilot was picked up unconscious by aboriginals but the safe with diamonds was never found.

Diving the remnants of a WW2 attack on Australia

I spent some time near Broom in early 80s but never knew about the Catalina wrecks back then.
View attachment 355908

Also I heard a story about a Dutch Catalina with load of diamonds shot down by Japanese just of the beach, the pilot was picked up unconscious by aboriginals but the safe with diamonds was never found.
I've got the safe mate.............everything's fine!!

So COVID is fine when you are in someone else's Country :rolleyes:

Should be banned and sent home

"Western Australia to scrap new law protecting Aboriginal heritage sites​

The Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act came into force on July 1 and is now being dropped after protests by landowners.

The Djadjiling rock shelter at a Pilbara mine site in Western Australia, where a large cache of Aboriginal stone tools estimated to be up to 35,000 years old was discovered in 2008

Western Australia will overturn recently enforced laws aimed at protecting Aboriginal cultural heritage sites following widespread opposition by farmers and small landowners, the state’s premier said.
The Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act came into force on July 1 and was designed to prevent a repeat of the destruction witnessed at the 46-000-year-old Juukan Gorge rock shelter, which was demolished by the Anglo-Australian mining firm Rio Tinto during the expansion of an iron ore mine."

Wait till the price ore increases and the Aborigines will dig it up . Same here Maori are quite happy to dam a river, that idea was squashed by environmentalists.
Or you wanna dig up gold... get a license through the local Maori's first to grease the application through. A few waves of a fern leaf does wonders even if the Maoris never inhabited the place to start with.

Families who have farmed in South Canterbury for generations are objecting to the Timaru District Council’s handling of proposed Sites and Areas of Significance to Māori (SASM) and fear restrictions will follow.
Federated Farmers have called the council’s approach “heavy-handed”.
In October, the Timaru District Council sent letters to the first of 4000 property owners in the district who would be impacted by the new regulations stating the land fitted into five differing categories: Wāhi Tūpuna (broad geographical areas/cultural landscapes), wāhi taoka (land-based places), wāhi tapu (sacred land-based sites), wai taoka (waterways based places) and wai tapu (sacred sites/areas water based).
The council said it had worked with the local rūnanga, Arowhenua, to identify SASM while the rūnanga used information from historic maps, oral histories and document archives to identify areas.
Stuff asked the council a range of questions: What was the methodology used in identifying sites? Were visits made to the sites? Were landowners consulted, and if so, what was the process? Why, in one case, was 100% of private land designated a SASM, with no pinpointed location of significance?

“We’re in the middle of a statutory process with the Proposed District Plan, so it’s not really appropriate for us to comment in detail,” the council’s communications manager Stephen Doran said.
“These sites were consulted upon under the Draft District Plan and before the notified plan came out. Everyone who has properties that featured a site of significance to Māori was written to, offered the ability to talk to an adviser about the details of the provisions, and actively encouraged to make a submission.

“We are currently in a statutory consultation process with regards to district plan matters, and it would not be appropriate for council to comment further and risk any undue influence to this process.”

Last edited:
Lead shot will be banned for quail hunting alongside the stronger compliance and education measures, due to come into effect by 2025. The government has also delayed hunting start times to 8am each day of this year’s season and introduced a bag limit of six ducks per day.

Asked what the training measures would look like, Dimopoulus cited shooter accuracy and greater recognition of traditional owners’ land management.

“Marksmanship proficiency is really critical,” he said. “At the moment, you can be a hunter and the only test you have to meet is a waterfowl identification test.”

“Hunters [will also] have to go through Aboriginal cultural training. And I don’t mean just one lot. I mean regularly.

Steel shot is less accurate and less energy then lead shot and just what aboriginals have got to do with a European firearm, I mean they didn't even invent a bow . But don't laugh they have banned it in several states apparently.

Labor does not have a majority in the Legislative Council and needs the support of the Greens and at least two other crossbenchers – usually the two representatives from the Legalise Cannabis Party – to pass legislation opposed by the Coalition. Government sources have previously described Purcell’s vote as their “spare”.
One upper house Labor MP, speaking on the condition of anonymity to speak freely, said: “Watch that space. It will be interesting to see what the crossbench do.”

Sporting Shooters Association of Australia spokesman Barry Howlett said he was pleased by Monday’s announcement.

Related Article​

219e755d905983b713a7c9c69a8026d7086a444f.jpg

Graphic content​

Biodiversity

The first hunt: My journey from vegetarian to shooting my dinner

“We’re reassured that the government has listened to the evidence and has outlined a clear path forward,” he said.
Shooters, Fishers and Farmers MP Jeff Bourman said cabinet’s decision was made possible with the help of some unions and Labor MPs.
An upper house inquiry, established last year, recommended in August that Victoria put an end to its duck hunting seasons. Western Australia banned duck hunting in 1990, NSW followed suit in 1995 and Queensland banned the practice in 2005.

While last year’s inquiry was under way, a bloc of trade unions with links to Labor publicly campaigned against a ban. They alleged a ban would form part of an ongoing effort to limit outdoor recreation enjoyed by their members such as boating, camping and fishing.
The Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) was one of the organisations opposed to the ban, with leader John Setka telling 3AW radio on Monday that the hobby had been passed down for generations.

Last edited:
OK. I would like to know what the general feeling is towards Cherry Ripe?

Good, bad, indifferent? How's it rate on the "I'd choose one of those from a bowl of candy vs plain Aus chocolate bars, other bars that are equivalent to American Snickers, Mars Bar, Butterfinger, etc?

A female schoolmate/friend of my wife returned from WA back to the US about a month ago and brought a fair number of Cherry Ripes to hand out.

Well, I’ve had American «Twinkie » and they were awful.

Three years ago, I received from a dear friend a package of « All things Australian » including Cherry Ripe and it wasn’t too bad. Vegemite was more so-so to me and unpalatable to missus.

IMG-0462.jpg

The beers were quite alright. Coopers is good if a bit mainstream in OZ, Foster is the shyte they export and never drink.