Photos All things camouflage

riderboy

Mi Major General
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
I'll start with my favorite camo, tiger stripe. The roots of this camo go way back, modern tiger camo patterns evolving more recently from French lizard camo as used in Indochina. Original tiger patterns have only recently been classified according to the width, pattern and density of the black stripes rather than the colors of the background. The bottom photo is a John Wayne 'sparse' pattern. Thick black horizontal stripes widely spaced. The background color would probably be considered 'gold' because of the predominance of brown as opposed to 'silver' which has more green. 'Silver' because the fatigues would fade with a grayish or 'silver' sheen after many washings. Gold tigers were preferred in wet environments like the Mekong delta because they held their contrast with the black stripes when wet. Tigers were never an official uniform of the US military in Vietnam. Post your favorites!

Last edited:
Always liked the 'Jaguar Warriors' for South America

I have a copy of Codex Mendoza somewhere and some illustrations of the armour are fascinating

A child of Tiger camo. Atacs IX .

MstC8Ut.jpg

I have posted this in the colourised thread but it belongs here as well.

Camouflage Tree.jpg

‘Camouflage Trees’
The back of a canvas and steel tree observation post, near Souchez, Pas-de-Calais, France. 15 May 1918.
Trying to hide yourself in No Man’s Land during the war was a risky business. The badly damaged landscape gave no real cover from the watching eyes on either side. Therefore, the ability to spy on the opposite trenches whilst remaining hidden was highly valuable.
To achieve this, both sides began to develop Observation Post Trees (O. P. Trees) made of iron, canvass and sheet metal. Designed to replicate the shell splintered trees that existed in No Man’s Land, these observation posts were originally constructed behind the lines. Then, once they were nearing completion, during the darkest nights engineers would cut down or remove existing trees and replace them with the false one.
From these fake trees observers and snipers were now able to watch the enemy whilst effectively hiding in plain sight. The British Army used around 45 Observation Post Trees during the conflict with the first being placed near Ypres.

At the FID-2021 Forum of innovative technologies in the military-industrial sphere in France the French group Nexter presented a "smart" multispectral camouflage system for Salamandre armored vehicles.