Movie / TV What's the last movie you watched

Wasn't expecting much, but it kept my interest and has some dark humor.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Brotherhood.

This movie met my expectations and then some. Unfortunately, I don't think there'll be some English version of this movie in the future. Although, I do see some Russian entertainment content on Amazon Prime. The movie stirred a lot of controversy in Russia and wasn't successful commercially.

So, 4 out 5, but the movie won't play in the current climate of woke culture. The only two positive characters in the movie are KGB agents trying to extricate the Soviet division towards the Salang pass with as few casualties as possible for both sides.

Afghans for the most part are portrayed as greedy savages, even the supposedly cultured ones. The lone exception in the end gets betrayed by the Soviets who won't take him back to the Soviet Union.

Soviet soldiers while heroic in battle are also value material possessions over their lives engaging in high risk commercial transactions with local population and Mujaheddins. Furthermore, once the regular Soviet soldiers are getting close to the dream of getting home with a boom box (with equalizer and dual tape deck) they being shook down by the Spetnaz troops. At the same, the same group of soldiers are trying to make extra dough by robbing trade caravans.

All in all, an excellent movie with the only drawback being the equipment used in filming. The movie was filmed in Dagestan region, which is the area of responsibility of the 58th Army of the Russian Federation so all the equipment shown in the movie even BMP-2s are current models. heck, they couldn't even find BRDM-2!

Here is the Russian language trailer.

Plus, it's obvious that they had a lot of military advisors available during the making of the film. Great display of Navy Seals and Marine Recon uniforms, tactics and weaponry.
You're kidding, right?

Whatever. Feel free to tell me what's wrong in the movie.

'The King'
with Timothée Chalamet, Joel Edgerton, Robert Pattinson, Sean Harris et.al.
Loosely based on the Shakespearean plays, 'The King' follows Henry of Lancaster from his sturm and drang days to his exploits in France, painting a picture of the burden of kingship.

A breath-taking experience. The terrific acting, particularly by Chalemet and Edgerton; the mostly profound dialogues; the downright poetic imagery; the soundtrack… what a great movie. Netflix has emerged as a force to be reckoned with.

As a student of medieval studies, I do have some bones to pick with this movie, ranging from some inaccuracies to downright bizarre moments of "artistic licence". For instance, a Christian monarch would've never mocked the idea of going on a crusade (good luck trying not to get excommunicated), much less so Henry V – a religious zealot who began his reign by persecuting the Lollards.

But that's the nerd in me complaining. The audience member in me was thoroughly entertained,

★★★★★★★★★☆ 9/10

Last edited:
I think we all need reminding that we're now officially living in the future.

LA.webp

…the soundtrack…
A kind soul was so good to, you know… do things… and here we are.

Is it as "woke" as the internet would have me believe? And by "woke" I obviously don't mean a female lead. I mean, do the characters say immortally cringeworthy things like 'You might wanna think about changing the name to X-Women'? All these "replace men-with-women franchise" reboots as of late have been so horrible…

'The King'
with Timothée Chalamet, Joel Edgerton, Robert Pattinson, Sean Harris et.al.
Loosely based on the Shakespearean plays, 'The King' follows Henry of Lancaster from his sturm and drang days to his exploits in France, painting a picture of the burden of kingship.

A breath-taking experience. The terrific acting, particularly by Chalemet and Edgerton; the mostly profound dialogues; the downright poetic imagery; the soundtrack… what a great movie. Netflix has emerged as a force to be reckoned with.

As a student of medieval studies, I do have some bones to pick with this movie, ranging from some inaccuracies to downright bizarre moments of "artistic licence". For instance, a Christian monarch would've never mocked the idea of going on a crusade (good luck trying not to get excommunicated), much less so Henry V – a religious zealot who began his reign by persecuting the Lollards.

But that's the nerd in me complaining. The audience member in me was thoroughly entertained,

★★★★★★★★★☆ 9/10

Based on your recommendation, I just finished watching it. A well crafted movie. It really pulled me in. Thanks!

Also, it sadly illustrates how everyone has their own agenda with no regard to the greater good.

Last edited:
Salyut 7

It's based on the real events, the emphasis on the "based", otherwise being basically as realistic as Gravity. Having said that, putting aside the realism and a few cheesy moments, not bad at all.

Is it as "woke" as the internet would have me believe? And by "woke" I obviously don't mean a female lead. I mean, do the characters say immortally cringeworthy things like 'You might wanna think about changing the name to X-Women'? All these "replace men-with-women franchise" reboots as of late have been so horrible…

I wouldn't say it is, indeed, woke at all. In fact the cast being mostly female isn't even an issue in itself.

RLM puts it rather well in their review:

Finally got around to watch Joker

It’s dark, deep, very well acted by an impressive Joaquin Phoenix, who delivers a near Oscar deserving performance. It’s pretty much all around his character for whom you could have some empathy from the beginning, before...shhh no spoilers from me ever.

8,5/10.

I wouldn't say it is, indeed, woke at all. In fact the cast being mostly female isn't even an issue in itself.

That's surprising, considering the director went on record as saying he wanted to do a movie that "scares the F*** out of misogynistic internet trolls".

And no, the cast being mostly female isn't an issue. The 'why' could be, though. Forced diversity ruins all fiction.

That's surprising, considering the director went on record as saying he wanted to do a movie that "scares the F*** out of misogynistic internet trolls".

And no, the cast being mostly female isn't an issue. The 'why' could be, though. Forced diversity ruins all fiction.

In any case "forced anything" ruins anything. Forcing "themes" on the audience usually ends up the same way as trying to force feed someone.

When I listen to youtubers doing reviews of the movie the cast being female is not even mentioned, or rarely. The plot, in itself, was an issue. That and the fact that the franchise is frankly in dire need of ending.

That and the fact that the franchise is frankly in dire need of ending.
Reflecting on the (few) movies I liked over these past years, I begin to notice a pattern: They're weren't parts of a franchise nor seemed desparate to start one.

Salyut 7

It's based on the real events, the emphasis on the "based", otherwise being basically as realistic as Gravity. Having said that, putting aside the realism and a few cheesy moments, not bad at all.

The American English dubbing throws me off. Don't they know that all foreigners have British accents in movies?