Movie / TV What's the last movie you watched

Salyut 7
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's based on the real events, the emphasis on the "based", otherwise being basically as realistic as Gravity. Having said that, putting aside the realism and a few cheesy moments, not bad at all.

I loved that film although the events on the station were not nearly as bad as depicted. The Russians wanted their Apollo 13 movie.

On a sidenote, the ending credits with the song"Korabli" with images of Russian cosmonauts heading to the launching pad are beautiful. There seems to be little footage of the Russian space program.

Watched "Parasite", a Korean movie directed by Bong Joon-Ho, who has had some interesting films in the past (Snowpiercer, The Host).

It's a social black comedy about two families from distinctly different economic classes, with the poor family's son getting a job tutoring the rich family's daughter. It follows a weird progression from there that's tragi-comic and entertaining. Very engaging, plus how often do we learn about Korean life?

I'm for Jojo Rabbit next - it looks funny.

JoJo Rabbit Honestly, I can't make up my mind whether I liked this movie or not, but I have to tell you one thing, the trailers and previews are completely misleading. They show scenes from probably the first 15-20 mins of the movie and give the wrong impression. It's not a dark comedy, it's not a dramedy, it's a real, real dark film with some lighthearted moments. Honestly, if I knew beforehand the type of movie I was going to see, I wouldn't have gone to the theater. Movies about Holocaust are too emotional for me, and I prefer to watch them at home.

Finally was able to watch Danger Close, In recent time I have not seen such a well-made cinema there is no Hollywood glamour to it and with limited budget they had, it was a great cinema and true to what has happened. Yes, there is some dramatization, I agree but the overall picture triumphs it. I have not felt emotional watching a movie and this one does. 9/10 my only disappointment was Harry Smith shooting a 9/11 and standing up at the last scene he would have been long shot dead if he does in reality but then it is a cinema and I am just nitpicking. Three Cheers.

Says it all, really:

I wish I'd watched this before, long though it is. A clip from the 2009 movie had appeared in my recommendation's list and I got all nostalgic again, hence I took to watching the show… but it's not just that my expectations were thoroughly subverted. This show is irritatingly pretentious with its heavy-handed metaphors (raining squids pause the action every now and again to raise awareness for climate change), it treats its audience with disrespect and slaps it over the head with its political agenda.

Which, in hindsight, is no surprise given the showrunner's statements.

[…]
But I got to a point where the stories I told were just about middle-aged white men and women having existential spiritual crises. I could no longer deny that our country is completely and totally divided by race. This seemed to be the new Cold War and there is a reckoning that should be happening. As a white man and a beneficiary of this system, do I approach this with guilt and shame or can I approach it from a vantage point of service?
It’s time for me to start paying back, less in a sense of debt and more, This is what I’m compelled to do. When I say that I read “The Case for Reparations,” that wasn’t an academic exercise. I had an emotionally profound shift.
[…]
I brought together a writer’s room, where the white dudes — there were only four of us out of 12 people — had to sit back. I had to hear some hard truths.
[…]

The "hard truths" of Watchmen are Rorschach is an identity used by white supremacists who aim to "eradicate the black filth" and "flood the streets with liberal tears" (the reasoning being: the original Rorschach – Walter Kovacs – isn't too fond of women due to the abuse he'd suffered at the hands of his mother, and as we all know: it's only a small step from misogyny to white supremacy).

The hero of the story, on the other hand, is a fourty-something 115 pounds black woman who beats up 220 pounds klansmen and can literally smell white supremacist sentiments in white people (they smell like "bleach" – I kid you not). All the baddies are white, safe a token "ally", who's quickly discarded at the end of the first episode, and what's even worse, they're all caricatures of the highest order.

Perhaps the funniest element of the show is that in this universe, the African Americans are being paid slavery reparations by the government and the writers have the gall for chiding even minors who criticise the concept of hereditary kin liability.

Long story short, it's a shyte-show of epic proportions.

Last edited:
Thor Ragnarök ….. I like Thor and Mjölnir notworthy;

Cold Pursuit - 2019.

Starring Liam Neeson in another drama/thriller where he’s just supposed to take revenge on the bad guys who killed his son. All of this taking place in a ski resort in Colorado. Add to the mix drug trafficking and some hit men...

I really like Liam, but, been there done that. I understand he’s always playing well in these revengeful role to the point of becoming an Internet meme...

6,5/10.

Cold Pursuit - 2019.

Starring Liam Neeson in another drama/thriller where he’s just supposed to take revenge on the bad guys who killed his son. All of this taking place in a ski resort in Colorado. Add to the mix drug trafficking and some hit men...

I really like Liam, but, been there done that. I understand he’s always playing well in these revengeful role to the point of becoming an Internet meme...

6,5/10.

The running score of the body count throughout the movie is a nice touch.

The running score of the body count throughout the movie is a nice touch.

True, but still a bit of a yawn fest outside of Liam and some scenes... it’s an okay, one time only movie to watch IMO.

True, but still a bit of a yawn fest outside of Liam and some scenes... it’s an okay, one time only movie to watch IMO.

Actually, I turned it on expecting zero and it was better than I thought. But I have no desire to see it again.

Not Batwoman terrible though, but still terrible.
If anyone wants to have a good ol’ laugh:

And the journos are already at it, of course, blaming "toxic man-babies" for the show's failure.

What's so unbearably funny about their lame-ass excuses is they're unable to explain how all those "toxic man-babies" spent years following characters like Dany or Brienne from Game of Thrones, otherwise known as women who're struggling against an actual patriarchy. Turns out audiences like well-written characters whatever they've got between their legs and regardless of whom they're banging or what the colour of their skin is.

Which, in turn, means that the movie industry fails miserably at fleshing out well-written characters. Perhaps it wants to lose money.

If anyone wants to have a good ol’ laugh:

And the journos are already at it, of course, blaming "toxic man-babies" for the show's failure.

What's so unbearably funny about their lame-ass excuses is they're unable to explain how all those "toxic man-babies" spent years following characters like Dany or Brienne from Game of Thrones, otherwise known as women who're struggling against an actual patriarchy. Turns out audiences like well-written characters whatever they've got between their legs and regardless of whom they're banging or what the colour of their skin is.

Which, in turn, means that the movie industry fails miserably at fleshing out well-written characters. Perhaps it wants to lose money.

I just want to add a few points. The show is on CW in the US, it's part of a DC universe. No way in hell it's going to be cancelled after one season. I didn't watch a single episode and is not planning to. The show is not marketed to a male audience, but to young women. Ratings are irrelevant in this case because in the US it's up against Sunday Night Football in the EST Time Zone, and no show, no matter how good it is can compete with that juggernaut. In short, this guy will have about at least 5 years worth of material to look forward to.

P.S. "Thanks" to checking trailers for Batwoman on Youtue, now I'm bombarded with Sephora (major beauty products vendor in the USA) ads. Just goes to prove my point. :)

;) So you're saying, Batwoman is about toxic feminity?

I actually kinda like Ruby Rose. And considering her mature reaction to when "fans" called her out for not being "lesbian enough" for the role, I'm fairly disapointed she joined the club of salty harpies and blamed the show's failure on "toxic man-babies" and "old white men".

There's nothing more embarassing than a white person touting that ridiculous newspeak term.

[Spoilers ahead]

'6 Days'
with Mark Strong, Jamie Bell, Abbie Cornish et.al.
Based on the resolution of the Iranian Embassy Siege of 1980, the movie follows the doomed efforts of a police negotiator to secure the safe release of the hostages and their subsequent rescue by the SAS, while politicians struggle for the right course and journalists for headlines.

All in all, it's a well-crafted movie with great set pieces and solid acting by most of the cast except Cornish, who's reporter Kate Adie seems like a robot programmed to give stoic commentary. Whilst the movie did catch the building tension really well and expertly bypasses many shoot 'em up clichés, it doesn't avoid feeling like a documentary at times. How little time it has to spare for the plight of the hostages is a bit baffling, as is its wasting of an opportunity to criticise media sensationalism in a genuine way.

I mean, what the movie doesn't waste is a chance to present the BBC as morally superior to a Daily Mail whose journalists have no qualms about bragging in public about their false reporting.

I'm a bit disappointed by the repetition of the old trope of negotiators and tactical teams being adversaries. Also, whilst Mark Strong gives a solid perfomance as a negotiator slowly buckling under the pressure, the script doesn't give him a whole lot to work with. I'm not sure if the dialogue between him and the terrorist leader is authentic, but if it's authentic it's a miracle they didn't kill the hostages after a day or so.

Last but not least, the hostage execution scene is a bit… cynical. The real life victim was apparently quite eager to martyr himself for Iran, but the movie uses this as a sleight of hand to make the audience forget the fact the terrorists killed an innocent man.

★★★★★★☆☆☆☆ Not quite a 7/10.