Video Crash of a Tu-22M3 last week

AAR Galileo

Mi Captain
MI.Net Member
TAARB
The landing is brutal . Three crew members were killed and one was wounded.
Apparently from the first report it was a microburst or snowburst.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hard to watch, it's amazing that 1 crew member survived

Looked like it just hit too hard on landing and snapped in two :oops:
Likely Microburst IMHO
Very sad for the crew and families

Looked like it just hit too hard on landing and snapped in two :oops:
Likely Microburst IMHO
Very sad for the crew and families

Guys what is microburst? Could you please enlighten me?

Guys what is microburst? Could you please enlighten me?
Mate a microburst is a small, intense burst of air, usually a downdraft. If one hit this aircraft as it was landing the crew would have had no chance to correct before it slammed them into the tarmac

Mate a microburst is a small, intense burst of air, usually a downdraft. If one hit this aircraft as it was landing the crew would have had no chance to correct before it slammed them into the tarmac

OK. the whole thing looks weird to me. Vertical speed was too high. perhaps some issue with telemetry as the bomber just slammed onto landing strip (which wasn't prepped given the tough conditions).

OK. the whole thing looks weird to me. Vertical speed was too high. perhaps some issue with telemetry as the bomber just slammed onto landing strip (which wasn't prepped given the tough conditions).
Yeah I tend to agree with you mate, I don't really subscribe to the microburst or snowburst theory. It looks to me like the conditions were too harsh to attempt a landing and it looks to me like the crew might have suffered from "whiteout" until the last seconds. As you say the strip was completely unready for them to attempt a landing.

It's coherent with a microburst when the plane was on a short final, it was pushed down, rebound and break.
The same happen to the Delta airlines flight 191 in 1985 and US Airways Flight 1016 in 1994, both crashed on final during microburst events.