The RAN is replacing the ANZAC's with Type 42's correct? If so I wonder if the RNZN/NZ Govt will follow suite with our ANZAC's or go with the smaller general purpose Type 31's.
No mate we are going with Type 26. They are a big step up from the ANZAC class and bigger tonnage than the Hobart class. I seriously doubt that NZ will follow us. The Type 31 would be a great fit for NZ I believe however it is entirely possible that NZ will abandon the frigate class and go with some type of OPV

Boxer
get

No mate we are going with Type 26. They are a big step up from the ANZAC class and bigger tonnage than the Hobart class. I seriously doubt that NZ will follow us. The Type 31 would be a great fit for NZ I believe however it is entirely possible that NZ will abandon the frigate class and go with some type of OPV
Sorry I meant to write the Type 26, must have been my attention span and too many excel spread sheets at work. We already have some reasonably new OPV's in service and I think the Navy will be fighting tooth and nail to maintain some degree of their combat capability. As you mentioned, the Type 31 multi role design would be a very good fit for NZ and its compliment would't be much of a change from the ANZAC's.
The current Frigates get committed to a lot of international deployments to fly the flag so I'm guessing the Govt will want (maybe even mandated) to maintain that. Even being Army I think we should have 4 at a minimum frigates for redundancy etc which was the original plan for the ANZAC's

Happy Birthday to Australian Army Formed on March 1st 1901 through the amalgamation of the Australian colonial forces following federation.

As part of the birthday celebrations, Army has been awarded a Theatre Honour for East Timor (1999 to 2003).

Operation Astute. East Timor. 6 June 2006. Australian soldiers patrol along a road providing security for the Bombeiros (East Timorese firefighters), as they attempt to put out a major fire lit by feuding gangs in Calico, near the Old Market area
h4a48nvp7yq41.jpg

7th march, 2017. HMAS Stuart undocks at BAE Henderson Dockyard after undergoing an Anti-ship Missile Defence upgrade.
x65x2co4lwr41.jpg

February 1st, 2017. An RAAF P-8A Poseidon supports sea trials for the NUSHIP Hobart in the Gulf St Vincent off the coast of Adelaide.
kglje8lllwr41.jpg

Operation Astute. East Timor. 6 June 2006. Australian soldiers patrol along a road providing security for the Bombeiros (East Timorese firefighters), as they attempt to put out a major fire lit by feuding gangs in Calico, near the Old Market area

They've got to be the most pyromaniacal bunch of people in the world. My ever lasting memory of the place will be the smoke.

HMAS Melbourne (FFG 05) with her 8-cell Mark 41 VLS tubes and Mark 13 Missile Launcher sailing in the Pacific towards Rimpac 2018.
aqeu4s9vatu41.jpg

HMAS ADELAIDE L01 operating with RAN MH-60R helicopters off the Queensland coast, March 2020
92yf9ogtxpu41.jpg

A Royal Australian Navy MH-60R Seahawk 'Romeo' Helicopter departs HMAS Adelaide during Operation Bushfire Assist 2020
g6f1wgi7fbv41.jpg

Cockpit of a Royal Australian Navy MRH-90 Helicopter flying through smoke haze created by bushfires in the vicinity of Omeo and Mt Hotham, 2020
1k8c7zeqd5v41.jpg

An Australian Army Bushmaster vehicle from the 7th Battalion, the Royal Australian Regiment waits in the smoke filled forest between Orbost and Cann River, as it returns from Mallacoota, Victoria during Operation Bushfire Assist, 2019-20
cwc7bqbvc5v41.jpg