Food & drink The Snail Hunter Arms Hotel

Wot ho Possums!?! Has this joint been closed down because of covid-19?
Negative.
I’ve got you covered.
0808DF18-4C8F-449B-AFC9-7ECD1150C62C.jpeg

We are bunkering down and I could run errands at noon. About a 300 metres queue outside the mall of people with shopping carts. About 15 persons could enter the supermarket at a time.

Inside, the supermarket still had enough for me on its shelves to survive for ten days, no more bread though, but I’m good until early next week.

We are on a lockdown from Tuesday by noon for 15 days and likely extended. Although Macron didn’t call it that.

This crisis is sometimes bringing the worst of humanity, eg racism against Asians but will also bring the best of it with act of kindness and solidarity.

Humanity has survived far worst pandemics and World Wars. We’ll pull through. Be safe, all and use common sense.

That right patch is totally me. Went to the grocery tonight after home office to find that the loo paper shelf was empty. The drugstore literally next door didn't have any either. So I got me a pack of moist wipes instead.

Good morning darling possums!

Fun fact: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week people in France bought the same amount of pasta as during the whole of 2019! (Source: Radio France Info)

I ask myself where people are stocking all that stuff? Underneath there beds and next to their loo??

I'm down to my last dozen bottles of beer at home so that should last me until next summer. I should really grab some wine and spirits though.

Went to the supermarket last night, no wet wipes to be had for love or money. But heaps of TP. Some brands of pasta totally sold out. Heaps of other brand stuff though (although the heaps stuff was Australian made so maybe that's why it's being left alone).

Apparently, man needs to resort to hunting and gathering once more.

Today at noon time I left my cave to continue my search for some precious tissue products. The cashier at the first store - where they didn't have toilet rolls and had not yet gotten the announced shipment for today - told me how she had stopped another customer before from buying 20 items of preserved vegetables or some such. They were allowed to take 3 cans, but not all 20. Customer's alleged argument: "But there's still some more left in the shelf!" :rolleyes:

So off to the drugstore I went (same as last night). Result: Same as last night. Said the little old lady that was standing in front of the empty shelf with me: "People are nuts!" And another guy told me in passing how he had seen people hauling off 14 packs at once...

So after frequenting these two stores in vain, I was lucky to hunt down one pack of bum paper in the third venue - out of the five that were left in the entire shelf. These things are now getting rationed by the cashiers over there, too: One pack per person. And it has truly become a luxury. It cost me € 5 for a big pack with 16 x 3-ply rolls "with a touch of chamomile", plus € 10 for getting back and forth to that remote supermarket.

Hulloes all, coffee is horrible in this joint!! Is it the Poms who are in charge of it?

It's still frisky outside, I had planned planting potaters this weekend, but I think I will wait another week or so. Meat wise there won't be a problem The numbers of roe deer and wild boars are extremely high this spring. and teh roe deer are very strong and meaty. Poaching would be a child's play.

How do you plant your potatoes @Skyline Drive? Bucket, tub, raised plot? I'm going to get some sweet potatoes going in the near future.

Isolation is going pretty well for me, I'm a bit of a homebody anyway. I still have to go to work, and we hot desk, which makes the workplace super germy at the best of times, but we've got stringent hygiene procedures in place and I could handwash for Australia at the next Olympics, whenever they may be.

How do you plant your potatoes @Skyline Drive? Bucket, tub, raised plot? I'm going to get some sweet potatoes going in the near future.

Isolation is going pretty well for me, I'm a bit of a homebody anyway. I still have to go to work, and we hot desk, which makes the workplace super germy at the best of times, but we've got stringent hygiene procedures in place and I could handwash for Australia at the next Olympics, whenever they may be.

We have a small garden next to the house, I just put them into the ground after working the soil with the tiller and fertilising with cow dung.