Politics South China Sea Thread

The chiefs are corrupt. Same old colonial story meets 21st century.

The chiefs are corrupt. Same old colonial story meets 21st century.

It's arguable that advanced countries help less advanced country's develop their infrastructure in the APAC. It has become a competition between Australia the US etc. and China. In 2018 the Australian government under Turnbull counter bid Huawei and built a high speed internet cable from the Solomon Islands to Australia.

Although this was also in Australia's interest we don't want Huawei hooking into our internet backbone. For some reason.

Last edited:

hmmmmmm.

This is concerning. I know the Solomon Islands are not in the South China sea. However if the Chinese build a military base this close to Australian soil (~3000km from aus) that is a major problem. Australia has been active in the Philippines working with our regional partners and the US etc. to disrupt ISIS. We do not want a well organized and motivated terror group on out doorstep. I do feel like the current Aus government has dropped the ball when it comes to the Chinese military establishing a foothold in the Solomon Islands though.
Greed is the issue. The people of Solomons don't want the Chinese anywhere near their islands. Unfortunately the ruling class have been bought off with straight out bribes, houses, cars etc.

Their ministers basically asked how much will Australia pay us in cold hard cash not to allow the Chinese to go ahead.:rolleyes:

Greed is the issue. The people of Solomons don't want the Chinese anywhere near their islands. Unfortunately the ruling class have been bought off with straight out bribes, houses, cars etc.

Their ministers basically asked how much will Australia pay us in cold hard cash not to allow the Chinese to go ahead.:rolleyes:

And Australia does not have the resources to match that? To me it seems like SCOMO dropped the ball. Like he dropped the ball on Brain Houston.

I am not voting for SCOMO.

Last edited:
Debt dependency? Sri Lanka is a nice example of overstepping ability to fund debt thereby becoming dependent to the lender.
This is the simple chinese colonial blue print to self perpetual misery.
Is it best to step back and watch it happen?
Yes, that is for them to find out. They are a sovereign nation so let them figure it out. It's either you believe in sovereignty of nations or you agree with Russia that you have the right to intervene for your "security concerns"

And just like that, the USA just justified Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

but its ok because we are the good guys and the people want us there, its the gov that is corrupt.... yeah my country has run some variance of that line since the 1800's so you could say I am a little jaded when it comes to US foreign policy expressed as some sort of military action....
...and as Russia has pointed out recently there is no international rule and and order.... to be clear, Russia's invasion is wrong.

Yes, that is for them to find out. They are a sovereign nation so let them figure it out. It's either you believe in sovereignty of nations or you agree with Russia that you have the right to intervene for your "security concerns"
seems like an easy enough situation, combined, US and Australia could certainly make a better offer than the Chinese....

seems like an easy enough situation, combined, US and Australia could certainly make a better offer than the Chinese....
Indeed, if they actually make or made a serious effort to win the islands over or influence their politics before China steppeed it, it would have been different

The only interest until now was raw resources. These seemed to end in bad blood.
Don't know why they thought China is any better, avoid taxes, un-restored logging land, ship sank and abandoned now it pollutes the locals. The roads they put in for logging are great, then don't get maintained so the water cuts them at crossings and potholes at puddles. They are down to scrounging small regrowth from the previous time it was logged in the 70s.
They'll have nothing to show for it.

Indeed, if they actually make or made a serious effort to win the islands over or influence their politics before China steppeed it, it would have been different

Unfortunately that didn't happen it could be argued that Australian intelligence agencies and the ADF were to focused on the Philippines and ISIS as well as illegal immigrants.

Not that I am complaining about the ADF targeting ISIS in the Philippines or refugees. It seems like the current Australian administration missed the strategic picture. When it comes to an aggressive state actor like China.

However the Australian tax payer is now paying ~5 billion dollars for non existent French made submarines. You have to look at it in the long term.

Australia and New Zealand did.

They spent a combined total of approx $3B over a decade on Solomon Islands development.

Despite all that, governance in Solomon Islands is still largely a doctrine of get everything one can for oneself and one’s wontok(tribe) to tide them over when they get removed from office for corruption and mismanagement until they get back in to steal again.

It‘s not about building for the future, it’s about stealing for today.

Genuine progress was made, but it was always fragile.

Not unlike a post rehab crackhead, building a simple but respectable life, and then offered some Chinese crack, hookers, and dirty money.

Realpolitik malevolent fight club has disrupted benevolent liberalism.

The strangest deal that occurred under the Abbott government was the leasing of the Darwin port to China.

"The simple reason why is "stupidity", said Neil James, executive director of the Australia Defence Association (ADA)."

This the same port that the US Marine Rotational Force uses.

Andrew Robb a former member of the house of reps/cabinet minister under Abbott brokered the deal to sell the Darwin port to the Chinese/Landbridge. When he left politics he went to work for Landbridge for a 880k a year salary. I feel safer already.

Last edited:
Anyways. Point being. Chinese influence is already rife in the APAC. Money talks. Ideology walks. ;-P

Despite the Chinese being a bunch of filthy communists. They have proven to be very adroit at playing western capitalism like a fiddle.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know that Netflix is part of the liberal elite. Big tech. Bastards.