Photos Angolan Civil Wars, Rhodesian Bush Wars & South African Border Wars

Note the sheepskin (?) on the lower legs of the soldiers on the left?? Any thoughts as to what it is for?
Kneepads before kneepads were thought of. Long periods spent kneeling in the bush in ambush positions and the hard packed earth. I'm guessing it also helps with the razor edged kunai grasses that had to be pushed through. This is conjecture on my part mate, from my reading on the Bush Wars ;)

Kneepads before kneepads were thought of. Long periods spent kneeling in the bush in ambush positions and the hard packed earth. I'm guessing it also helps with the razor edged kunai grasses that had to be pushed through. This is conjecture on my part mate, from my reading on the Bush Wars ;)
Seems reasonable to me, BZ. Thanks.

Operation Snoopy: RLI and SAS vs ZANLA in 25 camps over 32 square kilometers. Several hundred ZANLA killed and 2 Rhodesian casualties.
bhvcgtug2ay81.jpg

Rhodesian BSAP anti-terrorism unit
lky53gbfw5y81.jpg

B.S.A.P Support Unit "Black Boots" Zulu Alpha Troop Section Commanders (1978)
07884x44z5y81.jpg

Rhodesia

BSAP in the Bush War
nkjk0lzzh4x81.jpg

lyhpxtzwk4x81.jpg

Last march of the RLI (Rhodesian Light Infantry). Totsiens, Rhodesia
u7vnxbe0o5x81.jpg

Independence Day Parade, Salisbury 1970
85farzmyl4x81.jpg

Selous Scouts flying a FRELIMO flag on a cross border raid
d8loblmdkix81.jpg

renderTimingPixel.png

Rhodesian SAS Sgt Andy Chait with a camouflaged FN FAL and Trilux optic, 1974-1975.
z9txd0hcyxx81.jpg

renderTimingPixel.png

Excellent!! GREAT photos of the lads down south!! Thanks for posting BZ! (Y) ?

C Squadron 22 Special Air Service (SAS) of the Rhodesian Security Forces, during the last years of the Bush War, c. 1978 - 1979
evcvdqi4sq991.jpg

Rhodesian SAS operator with a RPD light machine gun and his backpack in a trench, Mapai, Gaza Province, Mozambique, Operation Uric against Zimbabwe insurgents and Mozambican troops, (September 1st - 8th) during the Rhodesian Bush War, 1979
8a19uayq6vd91.jpg

Angolan T-55 main battle tank from the People’s Armed Forces of the Liberation of Angola: destroyed after three HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank) rounds fired by a Ratel 90 infantry fighting vehicle of the South African Defence Forces: during Operation Hooper, c. late 1987 - 1988.
4z0o7oeojne91.jpg

Hawker Hunter FGA9 R1258 of (No. 1 Squadron) from the Rhodesian Air Force, over bushland and Lake Kariba, during the Rhodesian Bush War against the Zimbabwean insurgency, c. 1970 - 1979
7esfnqf8d9e91.jpg

Eland-90 armoured car (armed with a 90 mm cannon) of the Rhodesian Armoured Corps „Black Devils“, during a patrol against the Zimbabwe insurgency in the eastern bushland of Rhodesia, during the bush war, c. 1975 - 1979.
dlkie9l6a2e91.jpg