Photos Korean War - Nth Korean & Chinese Forces

It has to be said that this is a war in which no one has won. The North Koreans didn't achieve their goal of reunifying the country. And the Americans got bogged down in the conflict and didn't succeed either. That's what led to the status quo of the 38 parallel.
A North Korean tank crew with a captured British Cromwell cruiser tank
Frontal penetrations on a Korean People's Army 4th Division T-34/85 tank destroyed with two others by US Marine M26 tanks during the First Battle of Naktong Bulge on August 17th 1950

The US Marine tanks were the first to defeat the supposedly invincible NKPA T-34/85 tanks. At 2000 hours on August 17, a column of three T-34s with infantry attacked along a road towards the Marine positions on Obong-ni Ridge. US Army infantry on Hill 125 began firing 2.36″ (M9 or M9A1) and 3.5″ (M20) bazookas at the approaching enemy tanks. The Marine infantry began to fire M29 75mm recoil-less rifles at the tanks but the T-34s kept advancing.
M26s of third platoon M26s who were at the forward Command Post (CP) at the time in the process of refueling and replenishing ammunition were informed of the attacking T-34s. In a matter of seconds, the M26s were on the road moving to the front line. About 300 yards from the enemy, their advance was halted by trucks parked in the middle of the road and abandoned by the drivers. The tank crewmen drove the trucks off the road allowing their tanks to advance. Before rounding the bend in the road, the platoon leader (2nd lieutenant Granville G. Sweet) gave the order to ready 90mm Armor-Piercing Capped (APC) rounds.
Immediately upon rounding the bend, the lead M26 number 34 commanded by Technical Sergeant Cecil Fullerton came face to face with a T-34 (number 322) at a range of 100 yards. Tank 34 fired three rounds of APC, scoring one hit in the turret and two on the front sloped plate which set the T-34 on fire and put it out of action. M26 number 33 commanded by Sergeant Gerald Swinicke was ordered to move into position to the right of Tank 34 which, due the lack of space, placed the tanks hub to hub. It was necessary to have the two tanks in this position to concentrate their fire on the T-34s. The second T-34 came into view at 100 yards and Tanks 33 and 34 fired 1 HVAP and 5 APC at it scoring 1 HVAP hit in the turret and 5 APC hits on the front sloped plate. The hits set the T-34 on fire but because it was still firing against our troops the M26s were ordered to continue firing at it.
The two M26s fired 1 HVAP, 2 APC and 4 HE into the right rear side of the turret which blew the turret roof completely off. The third T-34 moved up behind the first and second T-34s at this time and the fire from the two M26s were shifted to it. Five rounds of APC were fired and five hits were made on the front sloped plate The third T-34 was on fire after the second round hit the sloped plate and after the last hit, it was completely destroyed. After the third T-34 was knocked out, the M26s were ordered to withdraw back to the forward CP. During this engagement, the NKPA tankers were overtly confident, having dominated over US tanks in earlier battles. They probably mistaken the M26s as inferior M24 Chaffees. After this brief engagement, the reputation of US tanks began to rebound. The T-34/85, once dreaded and invincible, was then named the “Caviar Can”.
South Korean child playing on the wreck of a North Korean SU-76M SPG near Pusan in 1951
North Korean T-34/85 knocked out in combat with the US 24th Infantry Division during the Battle of Taejon on July 20th 1950
Korean People's Army 4th Division T-34/85 tanks knocked out during the First Battle of Naktong Bulge on August 17th 1950
Chinese soldiers capturing crews from M46 Patton's
On their way to a prison camp, North Korean POWs are marched past a knocked-out T-34 tank, east of Inchon. September 17, 1950.
A burned out North Korean T-34-85 which had been struck by an US aircraft whilst guarding the main road to Waegwan. September 20, 1950

Similar threads