Help required about the Victoria Cross

Matzos

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
For Christmas my wife gave me the excellent book :-

Symbol of Courage. A complete history of the Victoria Cross

The book lists all the holders of the VC and how they received their medal. With some of the entries there is a line saying "He was elected for the award (by privates of this regiment) under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrent"
The question is, can anyone tell me what this 'Rule 13 of the Royal Warrent' is?

Thank you vc; :?:

Rule 13:

Under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant that governs the award by the monarch of the VC, the medal could be bestowed, and has been 42 times over the years, as the result of a ballot of a group commended for their combined bravery. The group was asked to nominate one of their number whom they judged the most worthy. This, in principle, would seem to be an extremely fair and unbiased approach to a difficult decision.

http://www.westernfront.co.uk/thegreatwar/articles/factsandfigures/victoriacross3.htm

Well, I am sitting in a very cold office here in Mallorca with not a great deal to do other than splurge out reports, statistics and such gumph! The net is fun and it's good to improve knowledge. I didn't know about rule 13 and your pic of the metal used was good stuff Bomber. That's the beauty of this site really.