Photos Falklands War Photos

This was captioned as a road sign somewhere in the Falklands. (I'm not sure how going slow will help with mines.)
pic2.jpg

nobody thought it was going to happen, neither the invasion nor the reconquest, a mistake that cost one and helped the other... politics and its strange things

interesting collection of Argentine weapons, those strela missiles surprise me; I suppose they took some copies to the United Kingdom, seized and destined for museums.

I'd sure like to rummage through that pile of weapons - maybe even burn up some of the 4 million rounds of captured ammo!

Survivors from RFA Sir Galahad (ablaze in the background) are hauled ashore by colleagues at Bluff Cove, East Falkland, after the ship was hit by an Argentinian air attack on June 8, 1982.
1701861526911.png

30mm cannon shell impacts on Rothesay-class frigate HMS Plymouth (F126) after it was attacked by Argentine IAI Daggers on June 8th 1982
1707543570747-png.png

On 8 June, HMS Plymouth (F126) was alone in Falkland Sound, returning from a naval gunfire mission, when she was attacked by five Dagger fighter-bombers of Grupo 6 of the Argentine Air Force. Despite Plymouth firing her 20 mm guns and a Seacat missile, the aircraft dropped eight Mk 82 500 lb bombs, five of which struck home, and fired their 30mm cannons. One Dagger was unable to release its payload due to a mechanical failure, and another suffered light damage from shrapnel. According to other sources Plymouth was hit by four 1000 lb bombs. All of the bombs failed to explode, but caused extensive damage: one hit the flight deck, detonating a depth charge and starting a fire, one went straight through her funnel and two more destroyed her Limbo anti-submarine mortar. Internal flooding caused the ship to take a six degree list. Five men were injured in the attack, and were rapidly evacuated by helicopter. The fire took 90 minutes to extinguish with assistance from HMS Avenger, and repairs were carried out through the night and the next day, restoring some of her capabilities. Plymouth then withdrew to a repair area, where naval personnel on board the oil rig support vessel MV Stena Seaspread assisted in returning her to fighting order. She returned to shore bombardment duties on 14 June, when Argentine forces in the Falklands finally surrendered.
1707543693860-png.png

Sea Harrier FR.1, HMS Invincible. Apr-June 1982
1710495913219.png