Photos Vietnam War Memorials

Frisco-Kid

Sergeant Major
MI.Net Member
These are found all across the country in cities and towns of every size. Some are quite small and simple, while others are large and ornate. Many list the names of the fallen from that city, town, county, or state. Some just a poem or phrase. Some were erected immediately after the war, others many years laters. Some had to wait for the funds, while others had to wait for peoples consciences. Whatever the story relating to their erection, they are always appreciated by those of us VN Vets that comes across them.

I just returned home from spending a few days with a VN Vet buddy of mine that lives in Central Oregon. We made a trip to the Oregon Coast city of Newport one of the days. At one of the many beach accesses in the town we ran across this memorial, beautiful in it's simplicity.

Thank you Newport, OR, for your rememberance of us.

The Poem:

Approaching the boulders
I notice the path
With the roar of the ocean
Quickly!
Thoughts come from the past...

I look to the wall
And down to the shore
The wind seems to call
Many names from my mind.

Showered with memories
Some happy, some sad...
I turn to the wall
Thinking
Could these stones be
Symbols
Of family and friends?

These rocks so colorful,
Yet many gray
Somberly have
Something to say.

The wall is not straight,
But gently curves
A wall of length
With rocks of strength.

This wall displays courage
And breathes!
Tales of old...
Of people!
People, gallant
People bold.

Hear the wind
Feel, the breeze
The ocean applauds
It's daughters and sons...

As waves
Endlessly strum
Welcome, home!
Welcome, home!!!

Visit to James 112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Missoula, Montana, has a beautiful War Memorial honoring all of the state veterans from WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. It lists the names of the Montanans that paid the ultimate price in each war.

This is a special memorial to me because it bears the name of a 101st trooper that I served with. William L. Cyr died 8NOV66 while we were operating around Tuy Hoa. He was 20yrs. old. I didn't know Bill very well and can't recall his face now, but he is my Brother.

Thank you Missoula, MT, for remembering and honoring your fallen sons, and giving those of us who made it home a place to go and be with our Brothers.

P7030158.jpg
P7030161.jpg
P7030164.jpg
P7030163.jpg
P7030160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: