Movie / TV TV-Shows/Series you are currently watching

Jake84

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
TheMess.Net
Ukraine
What are you currently watching on the smaller screen? Whether from Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO etc?

A couple I’ve been following closely and greatly enjoyed and hoping for more seasons.

- Fargo: epic and very respectful so to speak of the original Coen Bros movie. I dare say the 1st and 3rd seasons were even better than the movie. Next season is due around 2020 (?)

- Better Call Saul: As many people know, it’s a spin-off of legendary Breaking Bad albeit taking place before Walter White the chemist professor turns into the bad guy. Next season in 2020 as well.

- Bodyguard: Excellent British drama/thriller about the very contemporary topic of Islamic terrorism and political corruption. Not sure if a second season is due, BBC One says not before 2020 either; if any.

- Narcos: Great first three seasons taking place in Colombia, then a very disappointing one in Mexico. Lost interest and couldn’t watch it entirely.

Your turn, peers. Make a recommendation, or just a review of a series you are currently watching.

Just finished Game of Thrones last night. I recently also binge-watched The Tunnel. The latter was quite interesting since I knew the original Bridge series.

Bodyguard already had one outrageous story line, putting the poor bastard into another one would be ridiculous.

Shitts Creek for a quirky comedy, quite good.

Travelers, I quite liked the first couple of seasons, time travellers sending their conscious back into people who are about to die, to form into sleeper cells, who get tasked to try and shape the future and avoid an environmental break down.

Currently watching Chernobyl, Catfish, Live PD, and Criminal Minds. I have garbage TV taste.

I like TBBT and young Sheldon... Or pretty much any other half hour sitcom. I'll even sit there and watch Kevin can wait...

I am on mass anime binge watching
I'll pass on a few of them, they'd interest only fantasy nerds
For military/history nerds some worth the watching :

Angolmois, tales of Mongol invasion : it's the story of the first Mongol reco in force of Japan and the landing on the Tsushima island
While romanticized, depiction of the invaders (various units from Goryo, Jurge, China, Mongol origin with their equipment and tactics) and defenders are interesting. The drawing is special (blurred to give it the aspect of an old thing). Worth the watch

Goblin Slayer. Fantasy but dark. Character design is relatively light but you'd like the main character that is very inventive when it comes to kill efficiently goblins. Some things never taken in consideration in other animes (or role playing games for what it matters) are shown (like why it is stupid to take a long sword to fight in tunnels and caves). Warning : this anime trigered a lot of criticism because rape/sexual assault sceneries
Up to you to make your own opinion but how is it worse than slaughtering people ?

Onihei : set in Edo period, it follows the chief of the Crime and Investigation against Thieves unit. Nice drawing, historical set up but with a "roman noir" atmosphere. Those who like 1920/30s detective novels will like it

For those who have a boner about military hardware : Gate
Written by a former JSDF officer
About JSDF units going through a portal into a medieval fantasy world
Character design and situations are pretty classic
But there is plenty of military stuff and tactics (as well as procedures)
Those wondering what a HEAT self propelled grenade, a 155 mm fire for effect barrage, a Guepard 30 mm SPAA fire can have as result on a bunch of orks or on a red dragon will be pleased

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished up watching Game of Thrones on Monday night... season 8 was a major letdown overall, the decision to cram it all into six episodes was an abomination from a plot/story and character development standpoint and the writing was severely hamstrung by it. HBO wanted at least 2 more seasons but the show runners Benioff and Weiss wanted to finish it all up so they can move onto Star Wars. HBO should have fired their arses and hired some competent show runners who would do the final arcs of the story the justice it deserved. Alas, we got this pile of garbage to tie up 8 years of story.

I just hope GRRM can finish of the books before he keels over... it's not likely.

Also been watching Seal Team, not bad for a bit of tv military action, I like it.

SWAT is barely watchable but I struggle through it. Hawaii Five-O is in the same bracket.. barely watchable but it's fun sometimes.

Chicago PD is a great watch, not overly realistic but I enjoy it.

Live PD and Cops for the real deal is always a must watch.

I'll be checking out Chernobyl this week some time.

And I'm going to be getting into Last Kingdom, Vikings, Knightfall, House of Cards, Gotham, The Expanse, Altered Carbon etc... so much to watch, so little time to watch it in.

Aye. Series are time consuming and a bit of a commitment. I recall getting into Breaking Bad well after they had stopped the series only ‘cause I heard great things. I watched the 5 seasons, every evening over some weeks. Like Walter White and whilst I loved it, I was glad it was over.

GoT season 8.
Not that bad, could have been much worse, but not great either. It really shows this is the end. Characters being purged left and right, plot being rushed, etc...
But all in all, for a show that attracted that much attention, it was okay. Making a "good" last season would have been a near impossible task anyway.

Chernobyl.
Impressively good.

Master of Arms Discovery.
Latest episode. With the aid of modern drill, grinder, gas torch and that's all, the craftsman tackle manufacture of a blunderbuss from stock steel blanks and a walnut plank.

Finished up watching Game of Thrones on Monday night... season 8 was a major letdown overall, ...
Not that bad, could have been much worse, but not great either. It really shows this is the end. Characters being purged left and right, plot being rushed, etc...
It went down the drain after "The Long Night" which itself was epic. I had high hopes for the season to continue in the spirit of this episode but instead it became a rushed and forced sorting out of characters.

I like TBBT and young Sheldon... Or pretty much any other half hour sitcom. I'll even sit there and watch Kevin can wait...
You have the same tv taste as my 73 year old dad!

I can't stand it when he watches Home Improvement re-runs.

If they were showing them, I'd be watching them. I don't think I've ever seen that show in re runs down here.

GoT season 8.
But all in all, for a show that attracted that much attention, it was okay. Making a "good" last season would have been a near impossible task anyway.

Chernobyl.
Impressively good.

Yep, I agree. Was too much noise and negativity around it. It felt like they were in the hurry to get done with it, for whatever reason, but also not nearly as all the hysterical screaming would make you believe.

I think like you guys, I didn't have the issues with the last series that a lot of others did (Well, not to the point of signing petitions and stuff), but there was definitely a decline in the quality of writing towards the end.

To be honest, the only thing that really irritated me is in the spoiler text below -

I don't have an issue with Bran being the king, just the way he was chosen "People love stories and nobody has a better story than Bran".

Seriously? Not even the little girl who learned how to steal peoples faces, was blinded but got her vision back, travelled the world, became a master assassin and then killed the evil ice bloke?

We're going with Bran, the kid who sat in a chair and stared off into the distance. For eight years.

The only thing I watch on Tv is sports ans some of the news. To myself and my wife much of what is on Tv these days is offensive.