Politics Shortages all around the world

Yup. I wonder if the shortage will reinvigorate some industries in western countries?

Of all the odd things you've heard recently, we seem to have a shortage of liverwurst going. Plenty of TP and paper towels - meat sections in stores are well stocked. Both places we shop buy local beef & piggies and process the meat themselves.

But no liverwurst for some reason. I did score a small roll yesterday... however, Flop Ears isn't too thrilled with the liverwurst ration plan. Well, neither am I - I likes me some of that occasionally.

Originally speaking to CNN, Beasley called on the world's biggest richlisters to "step up" and commit to a "one-time" donation to the WFP. However, the article's headline alleged that 2 per cent of Musk's wealth "could help solve world hunger".

Hours later, the 50-year-old Tesla and SpaceX CEO and founder issued a challenge to the WFP, promising the funds if they could explain how the money would be spent."If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6B will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it," he wrote on a Twitter thread.

purch power dollar.jpg

Price of fuel has gotten steep, but no shortage of necessary and basic goods for the time being here.

I would look at such graphs with a grain of salt. Arbitrary comparing prices leaves out too much context.

If you look at the price of lemons in the US in isolation you get a different picture.

A better indicator is available income and its shares on expenses.

I didn't figure out the real reason for the shortages, though it seems here in Europe we are quite ok regarding consumer goods (for the moment I add, but we still produce a lot of foodstuffs and other daily use goods this helps now). The EU is largely self sufficient in this regard. At least one system with a complete supply chain.

For industrial base products there seems to be long lead times and difficult procurement.

The main reasons I get are:

1. Corona disruptions by countries like China which made themselves the workbench of the world (and we even actively supported it) but are now producing regular bottlenecks by panic Corona measures and Xis shenanigans. Also other countries fall under "Panic Corona measures" e.g. Malaysia.
=> unreliable suppliers

2. China itself and Xis way of the Mao. I suspect huge hamster buys orchestrated by the state to prepare for whatever CCP is "planning".

3. Resource rich countries not producing enough due to restrictions

4. Hamster buying in general by companies able to afford it.

5. Global chaos in transportation

So putting all eggs in one basket was not so smart after all.

Regarding the return of industries to the West will only happen to such an extent that an emergency upscalable base is kept where production is not economical in the West. But the unreliabilty of CCP driven China may change that substantially

And the energy change and automation will localise a lot which is now shippped around the world.

It would be highly advised to diversify the supply chains as much as possible. This would better reflect a global market than the current concentration on one region.

The industry should also distance themselves from autocrats as in the end they always prioritize the support of their oppression apparatus over economic stability.

Cant say I have noticed any shortages here in Romania, one good thing about being in a country with an active small holding agricultural sector,
the local "piatsa" or market is well stocked, or you can drive out into the country and buy, my wife makes a lot of preserved foods in jars which I stock in my garage, nice and cool also have to freezers for beef, pig meat etc.. etc..
We tend to keep a nice supply of necessities on hand like flour, rice, cooking oil, pasta, soap, toilet paper.

China urges its populace to stock up on food before the winter.

What is going on there….?

Local media has also recently published lists of recommended goods to store at home including biscuits and instant noodles, vitamins, radios and Flashlights.

The public response forced state media on Tuesday to try to soothe fears and clarify the ministry's statement.

The Economic Daily, a Communist Party-backed newspaper, told netizens not to have "too much of an overactive imagination" and that the directive's purpose was to make sure citizens were not caught off guard if there was a lockdown in their area.

I would look at such graphs with a grain of salt. Arbitrary comparing prices leaves out too much context.

If you look at the price of lemons in the US in isolation you get a different picture.

A better indicator is available income and its shares on expenses.

I didn't figure out the real reason for the shortages, though it seems here in Europe we are quite ok regarding consumer goods (for the moment I add, but we still produce a lot of foodstuffs and other daily use goods this helps now). The EU is largely self sufficient in this regard. At least one system with a complete supply chain.

For industrial base products there seems to be long lead times and difficult procurement.

The main reasons I get are:

1. Corona disruptions by countries like China which made themselves the workbench of the world (and we even actively supported it) but are now producing regular bottlenecks by panic Corona measures and Xis shenanigans. Also other countries fall under "Panic Corona measures" e.g. Malaysia.
=> unreliable suppliers

2. China itself and Xis way of the Mao. I suspect huge hamster buys orchestrated by the state to prepare for whatever CCP is "planning".

3. Resource rich countries not producing enough due to restrictions

4. Hamster buying in general by companies able to afford it.

5. Global chaos in transportation

So putting all eggs in one basket was not so smart after all.

Regarding the return of industries to the West will only happen to such an extent that an emergency upscalable base is kept where production is not economical in the West. But the unreliabilty of CCP driven China may change that substantially

And the energy change and automation will localise a lot which is now shippped around the world.

It would be highly advised to diversify the supply chains as much as possible. This would better reflect a global market than the current concentration on one region.

The industry should also distance themselves from autocrats as in the end they always prioritize the support of their oppression apparatus over economic stability.
For commodities, steel etc, its simply everyone that didnt carry stock, is now trying to carry stock - so its now a lottery as to what your normal supplier carried, v how much you are willing to pay. Same really for the chip production, we had enough production, then some months were missed because of covid, and now it takes time to get back to full rate production. So the price goes up.

Sadly the rich countries will pay to get their stuff first.

Food is still mostly a local production, other than specialities, except of course the 'barren' countries in the gulf etc.

UK has seen some empty shelves, but this seems more lack of drivers. than lack of stock...

Local media has also recently published lists of recommended goods to store at home including biscuits and instant noodles, vitamins, radios and Flashlights.

The public response forced state media on Tuesday to try to soothe fears and clarify the ministry's statement.

The Economic Daily, a Communist Party-backed newspaper, told netizens not to have "too much of an overactive imagination" and that the directive's purpose was to make sure citizens were not caught off guard if there was a lockdown in their area.
Or blockade.

China has had a disastrous year agricultural wise due to heavy rain storms and massive flooding, food is going to be in a very short supply for the next year or so.

UK has seen some empty shelves, but this seems more lack of drivers. than lack of stock...

The UK economy certainly does need time to adjust post Brexit . Less guy on a moped delivering McDonald's burgers to people's homes , more HGV drivers / builders etc .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58735299

Furlough only ended a month ago with a million still on it . I'm guessing the most of those will be heading to the job centre and more than likely straight into a job as one thing the UK has in abundance is jobs . Like I say , it takes time to adjust and I'd say that for most countries post COVID .

Chinese people are in big trouble to keep warm/Still suffering from electricity and coal shortage​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Russians are interfering again.

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-18/russian-fleet-heading-to-new-york-may-help-ease-diesel-pain
A fleet of tankers laden with Russian diesel heading to the U.S. East Coast may help to alleviate the most expensive retail prices for the fuel in seven years.
Four tankers with 2 million barrels of Russian diesel aboard, the most in data going back to 2018, are set to arrive next week, as natural gas-rich Russia cranks up diesel-producing units that are dependent on a feedstock extracted from costly natural gas, according to Vortexa Ltd.

Chinese people are in big trouble to keep warm/Still suffering from electricity and coal shortage​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They made the coal expensive themselves. Australia has enough for them.

But hey say a word against the CCP Corona spreading and they freak out.

Should move away from coal anyway thats so 1900s.