Photos Photos of the US Army in the ETO

G

guest0001

D.C. CAUGHRAN JR 5.jpg

Photo of Detachment D6G1 of the 1st European Civil Affairs Regiment, taken at the Hotel Koener in Clervaux, Luxembourg, where the unit was posted in fall 1944.

Front row, left to right: Cpt. Subliere (Canadian Army), Georges Koener (hotel owner) and Lt. Wykes (British Army).
Back row, left to right: Lt George Bowdery, Pvt. Harry H. Duncan, Captain George Johnson, Pfc. Milton C. Kornetz, T/4 D.C. Caughran and Pfc. James H. Cramer.

Engineers, probably of the 25th Armored Engineer Combat Battalion, working on a Bailey Bridge, crossing the Our river at "Dasbourg-Pont", on the German-Luxembourg border, sometimes around February 20th 1945.

Last edited by a moderator:

Two pictures taken on February 14th 1945 by Pvt. Robert J. Schneider of the 155th Signal Corps Photographic Company.
The GIs and vehicles shown are of the 10th Infantry of the 5th Infantry Division. The photo wa taken in the German village of Ferschweiler after it had bene taken two days earlier. The "Red Diamond" realised an extremely costly and difficult combat crossing off the "Sauer" or ("Sûre" in French) river into Germany early on February 7th. It took the five days to build a solid bridgehead and get a first hold on the plateau dominating the river.

M32 Armored Recovery Vehicle of the 696th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. The picture seems to have bene taken in Germany, in March / April, when the Battalion was firing in support of, first the 2nd Armored Division and then the 83rd Infantry Division.

Great photos @Skyline Drive are these from your personal collection ?

It seems that some of your pics are very large and as such insert into your post as an image file, I have reduced the size so they display properly for you, I just resized them in Paint :)

Great photos @Skyline Drive are these from your personal collection ?

It seems that some of your pics are very large and as such insert into your post as an image file, I have reduced the size so they display properly for you, I just resized them in Paint :)

Yep the photos are from my collection. Thanks for the nice words.
What size should the pictures be before I insert them?

Men of the 351st Engineer General Service Regiment in front of their quarters in the town of Ettelbruck, Luxembourg. The unit, which was part of Patton's Third Army was rushed up from France to the Ardennes, first to free Infantry units that were holding the lines along the Sûre and Moselle rivers, to the south of the "Bulge*. Then they were helping to keep the supplies and reinforcements reaching the front by doing maintenance on the road net. This picture should have been taken around Christmas 1944, because that time the better part of the 351st Engineer General Service Regiment was on frontline duty again, not in a quiet sector but smack at the southern shoulder of the "Bulge", where they had to fill in for the 318th Infantry of the 80th Division, which was on attachment to the 4th Armored Division for a few days, helping to breakthrough into the beleaguered Bastogne.

Yep the photos are from my collection. Thanks for the nice words.
What size should the pictures be before I insert them?

Anything around 4000 pixels wide should be fine, I will take a look at the settings later today and increase them slightly :)

The caption on the back of the photo says it all!

This is another "private photo" from my collection. I have a series of photos taken by the same GI who served with one of Patton's Field Artillery Battalions. Captions and the photos themselves indicate that the unite operated at the north-eastern tip of France, where it meets with Germany and Luxembourg, before crossing into Germany. I have not come around to do some research and find out what Battalion it was. I will post a few more pics from that series.

Once again mate thanks for sharing these personal photos, I really enjoy seeing members pics like these :)

Regarding our previous comments about image size. After checking them I noted they were width 7000 pixels and height 7000 pixels, none of your images that did not load properly were beyond 7000 wide but they were slightly over the height limitation, I have increase the height restriction to 9000 pixels :)

Pictures that come from a GI who served with an US Army Medical Department unit. On one of the pictures can be seen a sign saying "419 MED. Coll. CO. " one would say that this stands for"419th Medical Collection Company", but I have not found any medical unit of that name, nor a Medical Battalion numbered 419th, quite mysterious. All the the pictures, but two, were taken in Neufchâteau, Belgium, on February 23 1945. One was taken later in the war near Mülbach, a little village next to the town of Bitburg in the Rhineland-Palatinate region, very near to the Luxembourg border. The other one is not attributed to any location.

In regard to 419th Medical Collection Co I found the below references:
HEADQUARTERS 240TH MEDICAL BATTALION
APO 230, U.S. Army

31 December 1944

SUBJECT: Annual Reports of Medical Department Activities.

TO : The Surgeon General, Headquarters European Theater of Operations, U. S. Army, APO 887, U. S. Army.
(THROUGH CHANNELS)

"Effective 12 Sep 44, 419th Medical Collecting Company attached to this Hq and committed at once to supplement 102nd Evac Hosp. 8th Div Clr Sta in vicinity, Tregarnon on Crozon Peninsula"
https://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/bulge/240thMedBn/240thMedBn1944.htm