Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
On the the Anniversary of Operation Overlord, I felt that it was appropriate to create a thread covering the operation.

charlie 001.jpg

Artwork by Kapow

Here are some photos to get us started

Please feel free to add photos, PDF, video and articles so that we can honour these brave men and women of all sides. :)

Respect to them all

Last edited:
June 5, 1944

General Dwight D. Eisenhower meeting with men from Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment (Strike) 101st Airborne Division, just before they load up for the drop on Normandy.
The majority of the men in this photo were killed or wounded in battle a few hours later.

They were designated in drop zone 'A' scheduled for jumping off at 00.48 hours 6/6/44. Although the 2nd Battalion 502nd PIR was dropped as a compact unit, it jumped on the wrong drop zone, while its commander, Lt Col. Steve A. Chappuis, came down virtually alone on the correct drop zone. Chappuis and this stick captured the coastal battery soon after assembling, and found that it had already been dismantled after an air raid.

The 502nd jumped into Normandy with 792 men. After six days of desperate fighting, only 129 were still standing and able to make the road march back to St.-Côme-du-Mont.
1st Lt. Wallace C. Strobel, centre, seen here talking to Eisenhower, wears a placard around his neck indicating he is the jumpmaster for chalk 23 of the 438 TCG (troop carrier group).

"The picture was taken at Greenham Common Airfield in England about 8:30 p.m. on June 5th 1944, my 22nd birthday. It was shortly before we were to leave the tented assembly area to which, for security reasons, we had been confined for about 5 days. We had darkened our faces and hands with burned cork, cocoa and cooking oil to be able to blend into the darkness and prevent reflection from the moon. We were all very well prepared emotionally for the operation ..........
...... within minutes of his visit we gathered our equipment and walked to our planes. I especially remember that as our plane took off at dusk and as I stood in the open doorway of the plane I could see a group of men watching and waving at the planes and I understood later that it was General Eisenhower and his staff. (Wallace C. Strobe 1922-1999).
fdgh.jpg

(Colorised by Tom Thounaojam)

Last edited by a moderator: