Other Post F14's Over Saigon During Operation Frequent Wind?

Bellucciman

Mi Lance corporal
MI.Net Member
United-States
I've read a few reports of air US air activities; Navy, Air Force, Air America regarding the use of F14 fighters as air support during Operation Frequent Wind. I've also read that US air forces engaged in destroying NVA surface to air batteries around Saigon due to radar tracking (locking on?). I'm wondering if there are any photos in circulation whether US or Vietnamese in existence?

I'm a bit of a Vietnam War buff and have a decent knowledge, but I'm always looking for new information. I'd also love to see/read about the NVA operation where they bombed Tan Son Nhut with the captured A37 aircraft. I read "Our Spring Victory" where there were a few pages of the operation but no real detail in the planning, training and mission.

Maybe our Vietnamese friends could provide more info??
Thanks!!
Mike

If my memory serves me right on the F14 Tomcat fb association group .it was mentioned on there

I've read a few reports of air US air activities; Navy, Air Force, Air America regarding the use of F14 fighters as air support during Operation Frequent Wind. I've also read that US air forces engaged in destroying NVA surface to air batteries around Saigon due to radar tracking (locking on?). I'm wondering if there are any photos in circulation whether US or Vietnamese in existence?

I'm a bit of a Vietnam War buff and have a decent knowledge, but I'm always looking for new information. I'd also love to see/read about the NVA operation where they bombed Tan Son Nhut with the captured A37 aircraft. I read "Our Spring Victory" where there were a few pages of the operation but no real detail in the planning, training and mission.

Maybe our Vietnamese friends could provide more info??
Thanks!!
Mike
The F-14 was not used during the evacuation of Saigon as it was still going through testing. The primary fast movers during this time were F-4 Phantom IIs, A-4,A-6,A-7s These aircraft remained on the carriers in reserve in case there were any NVA fire recieved. The only enemy fire received was some mortar fire during EAGLE PULL and were suppressed by two USA F OV-10 A Broncos.

the NVA forced held back from Saigon until the last US helicopter had picked up the remaing Marine infantry from the roof of the Embassy. Shortly afterwards the T-62s rolled through the gates and took over the former capitol of South Vietnam. 30 April 1975.

The F-14 was not used during the evacuation of Saigon as it was still going through testing. The primary fast movers during this time were F-4 Phantom IIs, A-4,A-6,A-7s These aircraft remained on the carriers in reserve in case there were any NVA fire recieved. The only enemy fire received was some mortar fire during EAGLE PULL and were suppressed by two USA F OV-10 A Broncos.

the NVA forced held back from Saigon until the last US helicopter had picked up the remaing Marine infantry from the roof of the Embassy. Shortly afterwards the T-62s rolled through the gates and took over the former capitol of South Vietnam. 30 April 1975.

This Sqn history suggests otherwise.....