Marines come home

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
Marines return from Afghanistan

Print Story More than 200 Royal Marine Commandos enjoyed tearful reunions with their loved ones after facing "the most extraordinary and vexed circumstances" during a seven-month tour of Afghanistan. The Marines and soldiers from 42 Commando Group, based at Bickleigh, Devon, touched down at Exeter Airport where they were embraced by their families.

Their operation was judged "highly effective" by the Ministry of Defence and stretched as far north as the capital city, Kabul, and involved 19 air attacks. The returning heroes were met with hugs and tears by their partners and children who were anxiously waiting.

Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Stickland RM, Commanding Officer of 42 Commando Group, said: "42 Commando Group have given their all to our part of the Afghan campaign and have had an enormous impact across all of Southern Afghanistan.

"We mourn and will remember our fallen and feel very comfortable stating that as 'Honourable Warriors' we have made a difference.

"I pay tribute to my Marines and those that supported them, to their robustness, strength of human spirit, their trust in each other and agility to dance from 'fire fight' to drinking tea with the elders and back again at a moment's notice. They have soldiered in some of the most extraordinary and vexed of circumstances and never let me down."