Question? Assistance needed re: Marines at Da Nang for a thesis

Defender

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Hey all - I retired after 28 years in the US Air Force. I am writing a PhD thesis focusing on the Vietnam War. My current chapter is on the Marine defense effort at Da Nang. I am trying to get info on anything concerning the ground intelligence effort.

For instance -

1. How large was the G-2 Directorate for III MAF?
2. How large were the battalion-level G-2 sections?
3. Did they coordinate/work with the CIA, other services, VNAF on the base? (Did they have a fusion cell, liaison officers, etc.)
4. What was the relationship between recon units (force recon, recon platoons, etc.) with the G-2?

Other than the fact I've tracked down it was run by a Marine O-6, I can't find staff charts, task organization, etc. I've been all over the Vietnam Center Archives with Texas Tech....no luck.

Any assistance/guidance is GREATLY appreciated.

Erik

Hey all - I retired after 28 years in the US Air Force. I am writing a PhD thesis focusing on the Vietnam War. My current chapter is on the Marine defense effort at Da Nang. I am trying to get info on anything concerning the ground intelligence effort.

For instance -

1. How large was the G-2 Directorate for III MAF?
2. How large were the battalion-level G-2 sections?
3. Did they coordinate/work with the CIA, other services, VNAF on the base? (Did they have a fusion cell, liaison officers, etc.)
4. What was the relationship between recon units (force recon, recon platoons, etc.) with the G-2?

Other than the fact I've tracked down it was run by a Marine O-6, I can't find staff charts, task organization, etc. I've been all over the Vietnam Center Archives with Texas Tech....no luck.

Any assistance/guidance is GREATLY appreciated.

apk obb
First of all, thank you for your service in the US Air Force. As for your research questions, I'll do my best to provide you with some guidance and information.

1. According to some sources, the G-2 Directorate for III MAF (III Marine Amphibious Force) was a relatively small organization. In 1969, it had a staff of about 90 personnel, including officers, enlisted personnel, and civilians. However, the size of the G-2 could have varied throughout the conflict.
  2. The size of the battalion-level G-2 sections would depend on the size of the battalion. However, in general, a battalion G-2 section would typically have a few officers and enlisted personnel responsible for collecting and analyzing intelligence at the battalion level.
  3. Yes, the G-2 would have coordinated and worked with other organizations, such as the CIA, other services, and VNAF (Vietnam Air Force). The exact nature of the coordination would depend on the specific situation and the mission requirements. They might have had a fusion cell or liaison officers, but I couldn't find specific information on that.
  4. Recon units, such as force recon and recon platoons, would have worked closely with the G-2 to provide intelligence information. The G-2 would have analyzed the information provided by the recon units and used it to develop a better understanding of the enemy situation.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find any specific information on staff charts or task organization for the G-2 at III MAF during the Vietnam War. However, you might try reaching out to the Marine Corps Historical Center, which has a large collection of documents and archives related to Marine Corps history. They may be able to provide you with more information or guidance on where to find it.

I hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!

Last edited: