Question? Best Online Military PC game

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
So what do you guys think is the best online PC Military game ?

You're gonna have to narrow it down some for me @Bombardier, whats your preferred genre? Shooters, strategy, sims, etc...

I waste many hours in Paradox strategy games for sandbox WWII strategy play. Command Modern Air/Naval operations for overly complicated spread-sheet simulating, not fun just text boxes and micro management yet I still "play" it. IL-2 Sturmovik series is pretty good for flight sim.

I don't get excited much for games coming out but Steel Division II looks pretty cool.

I like to shoot the S**t outta stuff with guns, big feckin guns artillery, tanks and stuff ?

I like to shoot the S**t outta stuff with guns, big feckin guns artillery, tanks and stuff ?
Doesn't satisfy you immediate needs but check this out

The best ego-shooter I ever played was "America's Army Online" which came directly from the US Army and was something like a free-to-play recruiting tool. It did everything right (weapons handling, no endless sprinting or jumping around with 60 pounds of gear and so on). I've played it from version 2.0 until 3.0 was released which was utter rubbish. Today there's a version called "Proving Grounds" available for free but when it comes to graphics and other features it's not on par with games like Battlefield, Call of Duty and what else you have.

If it comes to tactical-shooters the "ArmA" series is still the best one in my opinion but I'm not very fond of the vanilla version of the last part (part 3) as it's using too much fictitious and futuristic equipment. But with mods it's great.

The last shooter that I've played was "Ghost Recon Wildlands" but I actually only liked the singleplayer/coop mode and not the multiplayer PvP that was added at some point after the release.

Then there's "War Thunder" which is a free-to-play game that allows you to play aircrafts, helicopters, tanks and boats/ships in various modes (arcade, realistic and simualtion). So it has something for every taste. There's even an MP.net [MPN] clan existing.

When it comes to strategic games I'm still playing "Hearts of Iron III" (with the Semper Fidelis mod). I like this one more than part IV which is a bit to "arcadish" for my taste.

Arma 3 ? there is a lot of mods so you can fine tune the gameplay you want from WW1 to the future and from arcade mode to hardcore game, solo or MP.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For real simulation Streel Beast Pro PE that I presented on the PC wargame thread

Last edited:
They are not realistic, but i have a lot of fun with The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands.
DCS World if you like flying on your PC, but the game modules are expensive, i still can not force myself to pay 80$ on the F-14 module.
The best ego-shooter I ever played was "America's Army Online" which came directly from the US Army and was something like a free-to-play
It was about 2005 when i got in to this game, with an oversea clan from the US, called the 75Th Ranger Regiment(or something like that). I had to abandon it after a few months due to the time difference and really high ping i was getting. Completly forgot about it :)

America's Army is a pretty decent one and can still be. Though the community is now filled with COD players so it can be difficult to get the team to work together. I first started playing the game 17 years ago (still have a CD from Gigex since downloading was impossible on dial-up) and it was some of the most fun stuff I've ever played. Especially since you had to go through training courses in order to be a specific type of soldier, either be it sniper - medic - or grenadier. (If I can remember correctly)

The ARMA series of games are decent as well. Plenty of units out there to get that true immersion without actually getting dirty. Highly realistic as the US Army and a few other countries will also use it for training opportunities under the name of VBS 1, 2, or 3. (Virtual Battle Space)

Insurgency and Squad is another type, but they can often times be more of a do your own thing instead of teamwork. Really just depends.

Last edited:
Insurgency is fun but not forgiving. Squad, man, the small amount of time I have in that game I never got a kill lol. I am too old I guess. Mount vehicle, five minutes later, dismount, get clipped, never saw it coming, rinse, repeat.

It was about 2005 when i got in to this game, with an oversea clan from the US, called the 75Th Ranger Regiment(or something like that). I had to abandon it after a few months due to the time difference and really high ping i was getting. Completly forgot about it :)

We had our own clan but were basically always playing together with an other one named BYK (BarnYardKillers) which were mainly from the US but also had a very cool guy from Portugal in their rows.

America's Army is a pretty decent one and can still be. Though the community is now filled with COD players so it can be difficult to get the team to work together. I first started playing the game 17 years ago (still have a CD from Gigex since downloading was impossible on dial-up) and it was some of the most fun stuff I've ever played. Especially since you had to go through training courses in order to be a specific type of soldier, either be it sniper - medic - or grenadier. (If I can remember correctly)

The training part was really great because it gave the game some extra depth and kept players away from positions they better shouldn't take. Something like that is totally unimaginable with games like BF, CoD or the like because todays kids and casual players simply aren't willing and able to jump through such hoops and want to have everything served on a silver plate it seems.

Like you said it was some of the most fun stuff I've ever played.

ARMA is pretty awesome and realistic, I had it installed for free test few months ago but my PC specs cannot handle it and it was too laggy so I uninstalled it and did not buy the game (too bad it was on discounted price that time). I might buy it once I get a better/new PC.

Not sure if you guys like PUBG but I have it and I do enjoy playing it.

If you like WW2 stuff, I think Battlefield V Firestorm is also pretty good.

Escape from Tarkov is a great game, but painful at times. Playing solo is really difficult, but when you get going, really rewarding. Some of, if not the best shooting mechanics I've ever seen in a game. Very authentic weapons handling, huge amount of weapons and modifications, armour and other kit, top notch animations, wound/trauma management etc. This game gets your heart pumping like no other, it's stressful, but fun, and perseverance really pays off. Only problem is it is rather expensive, and it is deep in development, however it is still very playable, heaps of servers, good pings and fairly good performance if you have a decent PC. But like all in-development titles, it does have occasional hick-ups, some big and some small, but in my opinion, it is really playable and fun... if you don't mind dying over and over and over. :)

EDIT: Is there a stickied gaming thread here? Or is it a more random type of topic over here? I couldn't see one anywhere, though I could just be blind...