Other Post Turkey-Greece tensions, shots fired

morris

Banned
MI.Net Member
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jesus Christ. Just what the world needed right now.

It's only a matter of time before Erdo sparks a shooting war with Greece. And I think Greece has had just about enough of these shenanigans. If things heat up in the Med, I'd expect Egypt, France and others to join in. Everyone is getting sick of his BS. Then Erdo will have to balance conflict in Syria, Libya and the Med, all while Turkey's economy is failing.

Dear Erdo, no one will allow you to drill for energy inside their territorial waters. Stop being such an idiot.

I find it interesting that Russia is backing Turkey on this, while it fights Turkey in Syria and Libya. The reason is simple, the natural gas reserves around Cyprus and in the Agean appear to be massive. If Europe starts using those reserves for itself, instead of what Russia sells it, that's not good for Russia. Both financially and as a political weapon. Russia prefers that any drilling and exploration is disrupted in the Med for as long as possible, and supporting Turkey on this is a way to do that..

And what of Turkey? Occupying Cyprus has been a huge financial drain for 46 years. Syria isn't working out that great. Libya has been a big gamble without much to show for it. The Turkish economy is in the tank. And they still have problems the Kurds. They really need the revenues from what they see as rich natural gas reserves. Are they willing to extend themselves further with a naval war with Greece and Cyprus? France has already stated that it will support Cyprus if that happens and has even started to operate fighter aircraft from Cyprus. Other countries are also showing support.

Lets hope cooler heads prevail.

Last edited:
Putin's main goal is to drive a wedge into Western alliances and organisations; a break between NATO and Turkey would be a major victory for the Kremlin. I don't think his will to back Turkey extends beyond the rationale of 'the enemy of my enemy…', though.

Erdogan's "reconquest" of the Hagia Sophia has greatly angered Russian nationalists who see their country as the Byzantine Empire's spiritual successor, and both nations regularly collide within their neighbourhood. Actually, it might be the case that of all NATO countries Turkey is currently the biggest stumbling block to Russian interests.

Putin's main goal is to drive a wedge into Western alliances and organisations; a break between NATO and Turkey would be a major victory for the Kremlin. I don't think his will to back Turkey extends beyond the rationale of 'the enemy of my enemy…', though.

Erdogan's "reconquest" of the Hagia Sophia has greatly angered Russian nationalists who see their country as the Byzantine Empire's spiritual successor, and both nations regularly collide within their neighbourhood. Actually, it might be the case that of all NATO countries Turkey is currently the biggest stumbling block to Russian interests.

There is no shortage of mosques in Turkey. Turning Hagia Sophia into a mosque was just a way for Erdo to thumb his nose at the Christian world. I don't think he gained a thing from it. Also, as has been pointed by various scholars, Hagia Sophia is and has always been a Christian cathedral. You can call it anything you want, but for those who kneeled there with Erdogan, were kneeling before Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary. Let that mental image matriculate throughout Turkey.

Also, as has been pointed by various scholars, Hagia Sophia is and has always been a Christian cathedral. You can call it anything you want, but for those who kneeled there with Erdogan, were kneeling before Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary. Let that mental image matriculate throughout Turkey.
Turkish nationalists would disagree, I'm afraid.

There is no shortage of mosques in Turkey. Turning Hagia Sophia into a mosque was just a way for Erdo to thumb his nose at the Christian world. I don't think he gained a thing from it. Also, as has been pointed by various scholars, Hagia Sophia is and has always been a Christian cathedral. You can call it anything you want, but for those who kneeled there with Erdogan, were kneeling before Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary. Let that mental image matriculate throughout Turkey.

A common misconception, Islamic belief also accepts Jesus Christ and Virgin Marry as holy figures who are also both mentioned in the Quran. There are even Mosques buit after the name of Jesus Christ in some places in the Middle East like Syria and Jerusalem. That's why even the Ottomans did not destroy the motives of Jesus and Virgin Mary depicted on the walls of Hagia Sophia but just placed some religious symbols on them since depiction of a human being considered as haram for Islamic belief.

Transition of the Hagia Sophia from into a mosque again from museum was purely an inter-political move for Erdoğan to gain the confidence for his supporters since a lot of negativity going on in Turkey like economic problems, strong fall of TRY against other currencies and high rates of unemployment et all. But still the majority of the Turkish people backed the decision, religious or not. There was even a tattoo artist in Istanbul who was gone to pray for the first time in his life just because of the Hagia Sophia. I am not in favor of the decision since the building is super old and can't handle that much of people every day. Only for some special occasions maybe. But still it's the public demand so can't say anything against.

The Greeks wouldn't be alone. Turkey's government…

1. tried to drag NATO into a war that no one wanted,
2. continues to undermine NATO's security through making pacts with radical Islamic groups,
3. continues to pitch the USA against Russia for petty gains,
4. ignores the sovereignty of its neighbour Greece,
5. continues to exercise undue influence over the Muslim minority in Europe by way of infiltrating mosques and placing them under the control of its own government authority,
6. disrespects NATO's core values in the most blatant of ways.

If Washington wasn't afraid of losing Turkey to Russia, and if the governments of Europe weren't afraid of Erdogan steering more "refugees" into their lands Turkey would've been given the boot years ago.